A&P image quality: canon a70 vs nikon cp775 (56k warning)

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by fliptight, Sep 16, 2003.

1. fliptight

fliptight Guest

i started off with a nikon coolpix 775 as my beginner camera but finally i bought the budget-priced but hyped camera powershot a70 with manual mode.

anyway. i've taken lots of pictures and with it and lately i noticed i dont feel too happy with quality =/ maybe it's just me but i want opinions confirming or contradicting this feeling.

ok i took a picture of the scene with both cameras, they actually different focal lengths at wide angle so forgive me if the position is not exact, but its pretty close. both at 1600x1200, 1/2s @ f/2.8, and ISO200 (the a70's sensitivity is higher than indicated so it's "ISO100" actually closer to ISO200 btw)

without knowing which camera took what which of these shots have a better image quality to you guys?

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

is a newer 3MP manual-capable camera really beat by an older 2MP point&shoot one? =(

**p.s. at time of post my host went down on me hopefully its up by morning

2. jinushaun

jinushaun New Member

The bottom is the better one, and it's probably the Nikon.

3. Mike Panic

Mike Panic New Member

sadly, MP does NOT = great photos and many people seem to think that simply buying a camera w/ more MP will result in better photos, when its really about the quality of the sensor and how well it works in conjuction w/ the lens.

ive owned a 775 for nearly 2 years now and have been MORE then happy with it, and a fair amount of shots on my site - www.mikepanic.com - were taken w/ the 775 and people can't tell (generally speaking) which was shot on film and which is digital.

in a nutshell, if you are unhappy w/ the a70, maybe its time to return it and buy a nikon 3100 or 4300

4. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

cam2 is better, which is the canon. :o

i had the a70 before, i didnt like it. the pics come out too soft.

5. fliptight

fliptight Guest

well mike, yeah i did understand that higher megapixel didnt always mean higher quality. in fact i'm actually considering if i wanna get the canon eos-D30 dSLR body on ebay which is only a 3mp also but clearly beats the shit out of any consumer 3mp in terms of quality and noise but at $700-800 for body only on ebay it still seems a bit too steep for my enthusiast-level hobby still. hehe.

anyway basically i guess im just disappointed that a camera marketed for entry level p&s has the lens quality that a enthusiast-level camera doesn't even have. but then again the cp775 retailed for $399 and the a70 for $299 so i guess quality HAD to be lost somewhere =/

i Would like to know more about your work with the cp775 tho, care to show any?

6. raptor_talon

raptor_talon Who is the master? Sho'nuff!

fliptight,
    www.dpreview.com reviewed the A70 and said:

And owning an A70 myself, I have no complaints.

Of course, you are entitled to satisfaction. Keep bringing it back until you're satisfied.

BTW I really liked the pictures in your other thread.

7. Mike Panic

Mike Panic New Member

my work - www.mikepanic.com - see if u can figure out whats digital and whats not ;)

the d30 is a GREAT camera... a friend of mine uses it - www.photoapex.com - every photo on that site was shot on a d30