iMac's 10th anniversary

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TheWeasel, Aug 15, 2008.

1. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

[​IMG]

10 years ago today Apple shipped the original Bondi iMac. Mac OS 8.1 running on a 233MHz G3 with 32MB RAM, 4GB disc, 24X CD-ROM drive, 1024x768 CRT and an integrated 56 Kbps modem. :bowdown: Funny to think that it was state-of-the-art at the time.

I remember people freaking out because of it's lack of floppy drive saying the lack of a floppy drive would be the death of it. :rofl: Instead it's the machine many credit for saving Apple and being a turnaround point for them. I still have my original bondi iMac in the other room right now (bought it in Sept '98). :cool:

2. Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil OT Supporter

3. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

you have to admit that that mouse really was a complete piece of shit though.

4. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

That it was although you got use to it and then it wasn't a big deal. I only switched when I got a MS optical mouse. Still used an iMac mouse with my blueberry iBook. They also made a plastic thing that clipped onto the mouse to extend it and make it like a full-size mouse.

5. moss

moss New Member

what a piece of crap, i remember using those... bollocks

6. urban ape

urban ape take that take that take that

wrong

7. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

At that time, who would have thought to put laptop ram and a laptop optical drive into a desktop computer? Apple is innovative.

8. caddymac

caddymac New Member

The lack of floppy disk drive sucked balls at the time. You have to remember, this was way before jump drives, recordable CDs, and widespread network connections.

The OS was rather flaky at times as well, but probably no worse than Windows 98.

I'd like to get a Bondi Blue just to have for nostalgic reasons.

9. The1Ash10

The1Ash10 Active Member

:werd: we used them in school and had to hook up external floppy disk drives.

10. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

I had zero issues never having a floppy drive. Shortly after Sony and LaCie released the first USB burners. I bought the Sony when it came out for about $499. Biggest issue initially was finding USB peripheral. Once again, Apple ahead of it's time.

The OS was much more solid then Windoze 98 at the time. Oct '98 8.5 came out (and 8.5.1 weeks later) and brought new features and stability along. 8.6 in May '99 and 9.0 at the end of that year and Windows was way in the dust.

You should be able to pickup a bondi for around $20-$40 on eBay or Craigs List.

11. hurleyint1386

What's your price? haha My old job, I tested/repaired thousands of eMacs and iMacs and I could probably get you one for pretty cheap. The only thing that might suck would be shipping. Let me know, though. I can always get stuff like this for cheap

12. Pitt

Pitt 1-1-11 — Never Forget OT Supporter

I remember the "oh noes, no floppy drive" whining :rofl:

in addition to "wtf is this usb shit?" :bowrofl:

13. Pitt

Pitt 1-1-11 — Never Forget OT Supporter

WTF link?! :eek5:

14. hurleyint1386

lol I remember those mouse clip-ons. I wish I could remember the name, though.

15. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

DrBott has them but there was another company that made them too.

http://www.drbottkg.com/prod/iCatch.html

16. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i had an original bondi blue imac. got it off of ebay, ended up selling it a few months later and making some profit too. some collector dude bought it for about $150

17. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Gotta love the Mac resale value. Sold my original iBook ($1200) 4 years later for over $400. Try doing that with a 4 year old PC. Like comparing Honda to Ford for resale value.

18. caddymac

caddymac New Member

I'm thinking no more than $50 shipped to my door. Which means pretty much nothing for the computer as shipping would kill most of the price.

I've been keeping an occasional eye on CL to pick one up locally.

As for the floppy comments, my only experience with the iMac was my senior year of high school, which was right around the same period the first iMac was released. My high school jumped on the iMac bandwagon right away, but not so much the external floppy drives. I think my high school had 2-3 floppy drives for the two dozen iMacs they installed September 1998. As a decent network server with file sharing wasn't setup until after I graduated, that meant that any papers I worked on had to be saved on the iMac I was working on, or onto a floppy if I was lucky enough to get a floppy equipped computer.

I don't see how Apple was ahead of the times with USB on the iMac. PC's had USB ports for about a year or two prior to the iMac being released. I have an old Dell laptop at my office from 1998 that has one USB port, and I think its ship date was way before the iMac. Just like the iPod, Apple didn't reinvent the wheel, they just packaged the wheel better than everyone else at the time.

19. hurleyint1386

Hey, PM me the specs of one you're looking for and I could probably hook you up :bigthumb:

20. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

They were the first machine to offer USB without legacy ports thus forcing the user to make use of USB devices and I think it was the machine that drove the adoption of USB. You'd be pretty hard pressed to find early USB peripheral that wasn't translucent colored to match the iMacs.

21. hurleyint1386

The older G3 Performas had USB, both the tower and desktop. But the iMac was definitely what drove Mac users away from those legacy ports.

22. The1Ash10

The1Ash10 Active Member

so I'm sitting a coffee shop right now and there is some guy using the original iBook blueberry. :wtf:

23. jackback52

jackback52 Guest

I owned the original iMac, skipped the G4 iMac, had a G5 iMac, and now have the Aluminum iMac.

24. squid

squid braap

25. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

A couple months back I installed 9.2.2 on my bondi iMac. 283MB to install the OS :eek3: Isn't Leopard 3-5GB? Aaaaah those were the days.