iMac vs. Mac Pro v. Photography

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Tedrzz, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

I'm going to school next year to a huge school in New York for advertising photography. right now i'm rocking on a little macbook, and i'm afraid with the crazy amount of photography i'll be doing, this thing will die.

so here is the question.

why should i get a mac pro over a loaded iMac? one thing i'm really loving with the mac pro is the 30" screen i'd get. but could i get by on a 24" imac with lots of hard drive space and RAM? keep in mind im most likely going into photography as a career so this thing needs to be solid.

also..whats the word on buying memory online? i found alot of websites selling like 6 gigs of RAM for WAYYY less than apple. could i do this? bad idea?

thanks alot,

ted

2. jackback52

jackback52 Guest

unless you plan to model weather patterns, nuclear explosions, and the landing trajectory for a trip to mars, get the maxed out iMac.

3. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Either is a good option. Photography doesn't require a good video card so you'd be fine with a MacBook an external monitor if you wanted.

macsales.com for memory. They even buy back your old stuff.

4. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

I use a Mac Pro + 30" for photography.

I can't imagine spending that kind of money on a loaded iMac to have it be out of date in a few years. The mac pro 8 core will be fucking fast for a LONG time, and its got space for more ram than you could ever use. and 4 hdd slots :eek3: Plus, with snow leopard coming out and the new development making it easier for developers to use multi core power, more and more apps will use all 8 cores. :run:

iMacs are gay too.

5. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

It's already plenty easy to make use of multiple cores. Programmers are just lazy/stupid and don't.

6. cftofu2k

cftofu2k OT Supporter

i process about 1000 photos a weekend in lightroom with my imac 4gb. works just fine. still need to pick up an external hd.

7. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

well now it will be easier :o

8. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

leaning towards a mac pro right now...

so tempted.

9. jackback52

jackback52 Guest

If you feel thats the mac for you, pull the trigger. i just checked macrumors buyers guide and. . .

Product Mac Pro Recommendation: Neutral - Mid product cycle Last Release January 08, 2008 Days Since Update 154 (Avg = 217)

10. Kirk Hinrich

Kirk Hinrich New Member

Like everyone said, an imac will be just fine, but keep in mind that you can't really upgrade it down the line. I don't really know if RAW pp is going to require 11ty cores and 11ty gigs of ram anytime real soon.

11. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

try stitching together 15-20 raw images to create a panoramic on a c2d :eek3:

12. jackback52

jackback52 Guest

Look, Just buy the Mac Pro, and if you can try to get it under the Apple education store. you'll probably save $300 which you can then put towards memory. and while your buying under the education store, grab an ipod touch.

13. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

Its been touched on already but let me say outright that it depends on your budget v. upgrade cycle 'schedule' - be it real or theoretical.

If you unload on a mac pro you'll have a rig that'll be blazing today, fast tomorrow and usable in several years, at which point it'll still be worth some scratch if you flip it for the new hotness then.

If you get an iMac, it'll be fine now, likely irritating in a year or two and it won't be as upgradeable as a stopgap. Further, it's value will be shot to hell the instant a quad core variant comes out for $200 more, or whatever apple does.

Short term, the cheaper 'sufficient' machine is best. Long term, you want to build/buy big less often.

14. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

If you're going to buy a mac pro use the apple student developer discount (the sticky in macshack). I saved $900 on mine :run:

15. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

What's to upgrade though? :dunno:

Memory is upgradable, external hard drives can be added, processor is good enough (could do with a quad core option though), graphics are good for years to come for photography.

To me, the only thing holding the iMac back is the built in monitor.

16. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

aren't all iMacs glossy screen now? thats reason enough not to get one for photography. :ugh:

17. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

basically buy a 99 dollar account and save close to 1K on a computer???:bowdown:

18. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

yup.

19. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

Some guy I work with believes that glossy is better than matte. He said that he always recommends the glossy to people and if they want matte later down the road, to just get a matte film type of thing for it. He said that if you truly care about color calibration, then you need some kind of special CRT with completely white walls and optimized everything. Is there any truth to that?

20. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

I'm no expert, but as far as taking photos and posting on web or printing, a matte screen is going to be a lot more accurate color-wise than a glossy.

There is calibration tools but I've never been serious enough about it to care.

21. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

personally, i'd hold off on the purchase until you see what the workload is going to be on your system. i think at this point, you have to be doing some serious shit to need, or even use, the horsepower of a mac pro. it isn't to say that you wouldn't be able to use it, but buying now without knowing exactly what you'll be doing could have you spending a hell of a lot of money. a mac pro with a 30" monitor is going to be a huge difference in price from an iMac.

oh, and to say that the iMac is going to be slow in 1 year is insane. apple hardware generally has a very long useful life span and the latest iMac is actually a pretty decent system. within a year, unless the system was on the verge of being useless when you bought it, it'll be perfectly fine and the only reason you'd want to upgrade is because the new stuff is a lot slicker.

22. ady

ady New Member

You're first priority should be the display. Look to photography forums online or wait and talk to your professors and see if you can get any deals via the school.

As for the mac, a quad core 2.8GHz Mac Pro with 8GB of memory will likely be more than enough, and not too expensive with the discounts you can get as a student, letting you spend more on the display.

I'm assuming by "next year" you mean you start college at the end of this year, so you should probably take in to account that if you only need this because of school that Apple will likely be releasing new Mac Pros in January that, by all accounts, will vastly outperform what is currently available and certainly offer better value for money. If this is a system you plan to use throughout college I'd wait.

If I were a student on a budget I'd probably get a decent display and use it with the macbook and external firewire drive/enclosure until the new Mac Pros came out. Though a 30" display won't work with the Macbook, but personally I'd prefer a 24" Eizo (or NEC if your budget doesn't stretch that far) over a 30" Apple/Dell/HP.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  23. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

I'm starting college this september, so do you think apple will release something before then? Or would I be safe buying one this week?

24. ady

ady New Member

I don't believe there will be anything before January.

25. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

You should buy now, but look into the apple student developer discount and you will save a LOT of money. I saved 900 on my mac pro. All you have to do is get an official document from your registrars office and send it to apple.