iMac Users

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mad_vtak, Jan 25, 2009.

1. mad_vtak

mad_vtak Active Member

How much do you love yours? :dunno:

Thinking about picking one up soon.

2. Jacen2141

Jacen2141 New Member

Love it........I've got a white 2.0 Ghz CD/2gb RAM/250HD. Had it since Summer of 2006. No problems. Runs Leopard very well. I'm not doing any 3D or Effects or motion so it still handles HD video in Final Cut very well.

Don't think you can go wrong with an iMac....I'll probably upgrade to the next revision and give this one to the folks...gotta keep my first Mac in the family :hsd:

3. mad_vtak

mad_vtak Active Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (fucking iPhone 3G son: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Nice.

I was reading about them again today. I think Ill bite the bullet. Just dunno when.

4. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

I have the same computer.. got it April 2006. I love it, and have never had a problem with it. It's a bit sluggish compared to my new MacBook, but it's still a great computer.

5. itwasntme

itwasntme New Member

I have a new aluminum 2.4ghz/4gb ram/ 320gb HD iMac. Absolutely blown away by how much I love this thing. I <3 my MacBook as well, but nothing like my iMac. I don't see how I lived without it just using my MacBook.

I have CS4, Squeeze, Shake, Lightroom 2, Aperture 2, Logic Pro, etc... nothing stumps it up at all.

6. Halon X

Halon X New Member

I love mine and use a 3.06GHz with the Nvidia 8800 for my primary workstation at both home and work.
    I recently upgraded the HD in my home iMac to an Intel SSD (using a Drobo for data storage) and it absolutely flies!

You can pick up the 3.06Ghz refurbed for a really good price!
    Whatever you pick up, I highly recommend picking up a refurb!

[​IMG]

7. mad_vtak

mad_vtak Active Member

ill take a look at the refurbs...thanks :h5:

8. ZSPTurbo

ZSPTurbo New Member

I absolutely love mine. Now I look at other peoples laptops, and I can't imagine using anything else, even the old macbooks. The only thing I am not totally satisfied with is this god damn glossy ass screen. Drives me crazy cuz I live in miami, and the bright natural light can overpower the screen sometimes when I'm using it in the courtyard.

9. bagged

bagged monsta truck

i love mine. i have a 24" 2.4 and it does everything i could ever need. picked it up on refurb special from apple.com for $1249

10. bagged

bagged monsta truck

11. Halon X

Halon X New Member

I upgraded my MBA and keep the old one around mostly for guests to use when they stay at my place.

I've got Windows installed on one of the Mini's and OSX on the other. Sometimes I like to travel very light/portable and use whichever one suits my needs (windows vs osx) best at the time.

I've got 3 Drobo's and am very happy with them. All have 4x 1.5TB Seagate drives in them and they work well!

12. Halon X

Halon X New Member

I wouldn't look at anything less than 16GB if you are going to go with a Windows or OSX install. I don't think the cost difference is too much between 8GB and 16GB. If you are looking at 16GB or 32GB, I'd probably go through Dell since the drive is covered under warranty. If you need bigger, I recommend the RunCore 64GB, it costs about $200 but is faster than the Dell OEM. Perhaps order with a base config and upgrade the SSD later as $$$ is available. Definitely upgrade the RAM yourself.

There are much less expensive solutions than the drobo at the trade off of less redundancy or having to build them yourself.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  13. Inferno

Inferno New Member

my lord, halon youre a rich ass mother fucker

14. Halon X

Halon X New Member

No, it's all on a Mini PCI-E card. SSD, Wireless & WLAN all use Mini PCI-E in the Mini.

Personally, I think the SSD is one of the things that makes the Dell very attractive. SSD = no mechanical parts, fast than HDD, lighter and smaller than HDD.

15. mad_vtak

mad_vtak Active Member

I am purchasing the iMac so that i can be more portable with my MBP.