iMac or Mac Pro for new purchase?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Aarich, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Aarich

Aarich New Member

I currently have an 867 G4 Quicksilver. I've had it since they were first released so it's starting to show its age now. I would like to do some gaming but I dont do a whole lot. I have a ds and wii for most of my gaming needs.

I'm looking at the 24" iMac or a tower with a 20" screen. The price difference is big enough that I'm very tempted to go with the iMac. However I love the expandability of the tower and the ability to upgrade it. I know I dont need the power of a tower but I plan on keeping the system for a long time and I think the tower would be better for that. However if I get the iMac I would probably just upgrade sooner. Any suggestions?

2. ady

ady New Member

I had a similar choice to make, I went with a Pro because I wanted RAID and dual identical screens, and as such paid a hefty overhead for those features when the power of an iMac was more than enough. I don't regret spending the extra as I want the best computing experience for my needs, but it's really something that you should spend some time considering what's going to offer you the best experience. I know alot of people who buy computers with the intention of upgrading at some point yet never do and always end up just buying a new machine, but if you definatly know you will add to the Pro then maybe it's the better option.

3. Aarich

Aarich New Member

Yeah I know what you are saying. I'm probably going to head out to an apple store next week to check out the imac. I haven't been to an apple store in a while, do they have any games on those things that I can try out?

4. Aarich

Aarich New Member

I was planning on purchasing the 20" Apple Cinema Display if i go with the Mac Pro.

5. canIscream

canIscream Dog Crew is Best Crew

the iMac is alright, but if you have the bucks, go with the mac pro. more room to upgrade and if you want to game, you have a better platform. with iMacs, what you see is what you get for the most part.

i don't really like desktops so if i were you, i'd get a MBP. plus you'll look so much cooler at starbucks.

6. Aarich

Aarich New Member

I went to an Apple store today and played around. The 24" iMac is amazing. It's huge. I always messed around with a mac pro with a 20" display and that was really nice too. I'm using a 15" display now so either is a big upgrade but I was drooling over the 24".

I don't know if my visit to the Apple store made my decision any easier. I still like being able to upgrade the Pro. I just don't know if I need all that. I can easily use the extra screen space I get from the 24" iMac though.

7. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

Massive price difference. If you're not doing video editing or something similarly taxing, I'd save your money and go iMac. I doubt you'll miss much.

8. violator

violator New Member

i went through the same dilemma and chose the iMac

9. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

I am getting a mac pro when I get the money and when the 8 cores come out. This will be whenever I get a film financed, and get to the post production process :x:

10. ady

ady New Member

No octo-core no care

11. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

I'd do:

24" iMac
    2.33 ghz
    3 gb ram
    750 gb hdd (get a lot bigger HD than you think youll need, file sizes are getting huge, especially with HD video)
    256 mb graphics card (definitely)

$3500. :run:

[​IMG]

12. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

i would tend to agree with the imac because it's such a great deal, however i've got a friend who has the 24" iMac and has taken it back 3 times now to get new machines because if hardware issues. if you can afford the mac pro, DO IT! but otherwise, APP is your bestfriend