imac g3

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by arabgangsta, Mar 2, 2005.

1. arabgangsta

arabgangsta New Member

If i were to install panther on it would it run slow? i think its a 300 mhz with 64 mb of ram 5gb hardrive or something.

2. Raddiux

Raddiux Guest

If its a tray loading iMac G3 (233, 266, 333mhz) then I wouldn't recommend installing OSX as it would be pretty damned slow, and its upgradeability is low.

If its a Slot loading iMac G3 (350mhz - 700mhz), then just load up on RAM (at LEAST 256mb, but i'd recommend 512) and upgrade the hard drive to something modern, and OSX Panther will run surprisingly well.

3. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

I have a pismo and it is only a 400mhz g3. I have jaguar and it works just fine. you will definitely need memory around 512 or up for it though.

4. arabgangsta

arabgangsta New Member

Whats the difference between a slot loading and a tray loading pics would be helpfull.

5. Raddiux

Raddiux Guest

Tray loading uses a tray for the CD drive that slides out. Slot loading is just... a slot.

Thats just an easy way to tell the two apart. The insides are completely different, with the slot loading being much faster and more easily upgradeable.

6. arabgangsta

arabgangsta New Member

I think i have the tray loading will it be slow if i just browse the internet,aim,offtopic and listen to music?

7. beaker

beaker New Member

i have jag on my tray imac. and it works fine. i even use it for macromedia studio.

no noticeable alg really, unless im doing 10 things at once

8. arabgangsta

arabgangsta New Member

will it be fine if i just listen to music and browse the internet and im people?

9. arabgangsta

arabgangsta New Member

with osx of course

10. Raddiux

Raddiux Guest

You won't be able to install OSX on it unless you upgrade the ram to at least 128mb, and even then it'll be painful beyond belief. 256mb is really minimum. The HDD is also very slow and too small. But upgrading the HDD is a bitch in the tray loading machines, and they only take laptop memory. Its possible, but its a lot more work.