SRS I'm worried that i might be going down a path to alcoholism

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by BATMAN, Sep 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BATMAN

BATMAN New Member

I just got here to college, 3 weeks in. I've been partying and getting drunk at least 3 times a week. Easily ten nights so far i've been intoxicated. I'm getting worried though that i might be turning to alcohol to blur up the depression i feel sometimes because of girl situations, subconsciously missing home... I dont know what to do. I know i shouldnt be going out as much but i do have a lot of fun.

2. Repost

Repost PENCIL DICK

If you're only drinking when out partying I don't see a problem, if you wake up the next day and want to drink all day then there's a problem. Or if you go to a party and say you won't drink anything, then do...

3. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

So stop drinking...problems solved right?? If the answer is no, perhaps you really are becoming and alcoholic, maybe not. Time will tell.

Either way, if you're worried about it, stop. If you find you can't stop on your own, perhaps you should check out an open meeting of AA.

4. Aur

Aur My productivity < yours

Try to keep the drinking a social thing, something to do while you go chill with some new people. If you are playing drinking games by yourself then, yes, you are heading down the wrong road.

5. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

I found the turning point for me was when i was drinking and using against my will. I would sit there and look at it and go "i dont want to do this i dont want to do this" and be completely unable to stop myself from the self destruction i knew was coming.

At that point the feeling of powerlessness discussed in the first step became all too real-but i didnt know what to do next, i didnt know what to call it, how to handle it, it was total insanity. Thats when i started checking out 12 step programs. I continued to use for about a year, then, when i was finally done, i knew where to go back too. It saved my life, and, more importantly, my sanity.

6. Johnny Walker

Johnny Walker :werd:

:bowdown: oh wait, what i meant was :rofl: because this piece of advice is about as valuable as what i left in the toilet an hour ago

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2009
  7. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

yeah i dont know how i missed that i deleted :eek3:

8. Binzes

Binzes New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (BlackBerry8330/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3)

In my opinion, it's not how much, when, where, what or with who you drink that determines wether or not you are an alcoholic or going down the path to becoming one.

Sure those can all be signs and hints. But to me, it's your attitude, your mindset behind the drinking. That really points out a problem.

9. crunchy_black

crunchy_black OT Supporter

Going out and partying 3 times a week is pretty standard for young people who want to have fun.

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

True alcoholism is a physiological addiction to the alcohol itself, not its psychological effects -- though it's certainly possible to end up drinking habitually if you use it as medicine. If you can sit at a table in a relatively good mood with an open bottle of fragrant liquor on it and not feel an overwhelming temptation to take a swig, you're not physiologically addicted to the stuff.

That being said, try to come up with other ways of dealing with girl problems, like aerobic exercise, because an oxygen rush will erase virtually any bad mood you'll ever have. Personally, my outlook on life has improved significantly just by taking a couple of hours a night to go for a long walk while listening to my mp3 player. Best not to use a crutch if you can limp instead.

11. saosko

saosko OT Supporter

Live it up in college, just make sure it doesn't interfere with your school work and you know what your priorities are. you will be fine.

12. J_75

J_75 New Member

:ugh:

The kid asks for advice and gives a couple big warning signs and this is your wisdom? Brilliant

13. JamesL

JamesL wat

Meh... I don't know about big warning signs. He sounds like 90% of college kids :dunno:

14. J_75

J_75 New Member

Sounds like some warning signs to me.

I went away to school, did a lot of binge drinking, joined a frat, etc....so I get the college thing. But when someone says they might be using alcohol to self medicate for depression, it's pretty clear that it's something to look into.

To the OP: Almost all schools have free counseling and therapy, go talk to them. If there's nothing wrong with you, and it's just a little bit of homesickness, that's great....if not, it's better to get early than late.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.