I'm worried about my cousin

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Mugwump, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Mugwump

Mugwump Guest

She went from straight A's in high school and ambitions to be a doctor to dropping out of college and drinking and smoking pot. Just like her father, she dated a man who was addicted to alcohol and drugs (now in rehab) and she seems to associate with pot-smoking house party kids. She was shy growing up and has seemed to bloom into this party girl who slept through class last year and didn't want to make any new friends in college yet stuck with her old, high school, loser friends.

I blame her recently ex-boyfriend and his friends. I blame her new boyfriend who I haven't met yet, but who I'm sure is just as substance abusing. I blame her underage friends, who use her for hookups and smoke weed all the time. I blame their boyfriends, who are pieces of shit. ...And I blame myself for buying booze for her on occasion (she's 20). :(

Her parents finally took a stand and do not allow her to bring over friends anymore. All they do is eat their food, drink and smoke.

So lastnight I let them hang out at my place for awhile. Big mistake. One of the 17 year olds got trashed, starting throwing tantrums at her boyfriend (21 year old dude who was in jail during his 21st birthday for possession), vomitted, tried to pretty much walk home in the cold (downtown to the suburbs), passed out and -- the icing on the cake -- her boyfriend didn't do shit and just sat on my couch and left her to find her own ride home. (I do not want my cousin associating with people like this.)

I saw my cousin drunk for the first time lastnight. It made me uncomfortable, especially since she kept running into me and touching me. She really looks up to me, since I'm the oldest of our generation in our small family. I know she'd do what I say, but I also think she's smart and sensitive and don't wanna make her feel too bad. What can I do? I'm probably not going to help her get alcohol anymore.

And I really don't know where I'm going with this...

P.S. This is technically an Asylum thread but it has traces of "relationship problems" in it, and I like this forum, so I'm keeping it here.

2. Mugwump

Mugwump Guest

I'm gonna talk to her, but I have to be careful... And this isn't because I'm a pussy; it's because I've had my own mentors and I know how fucking annoying they can be when they're constantly throwing advice and concern my way. I end up ignoring people like that, and I don't want her to do the same.

3. chica&buddies

chica&buddies Active Member

it sounds like she needs to get herself into aa and a drug treatment program.

fyi? she's not going to change her behavior until she's distanced from those that participate in the same activities... ie drugs + drinking.

:sad2:

4. Mugwump

Mugwump Guest

I don't think she's that far-gone yet.

Like I said, it's all about her dad, who's an alcoholic. She's drawn to people like that.

5. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

She maybe drawn to people like that, but she needs to break the cycle now before it's too late. Maybe arranging a intervention with her family and "good" friends will show her that she needs to shape up, or continue to follow a path that leads nowhere.