MMA I'm wanting to start doing some MMA v. amatuer

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Matt Hood, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Matt Hood

Matt Hood New Member

I've trained a couple of times with one of my buddies who's been doing mma for a 1-3 years. Didn't really do a whole lot of anything, he taught me a few things but nothing I didn't already some what know. All he kind of told me was that I was good at boxing/striking, had a solid stand up game, and that I hit hard/had good form.

So I take that into consideration and I decide to go and try to work out with a camp here. They're pretty top cut(for around here at least) So I go one night and they trained a little bit of everything (striking, grappling, submissions and what not) They have 2 hour practices and I was gassed within I'd say the first 30-45 minutes. Wasn't keeping my hands up when we were sparring or nothing. I'm interested learning and possibly down the road competing/fighting in some the smaller shows around here.

Cliffs: I'm 6' 270(look 230-240 i weigh heavy) I'm wanting to drop to 205 and be able to do a little bit of everything. What would you suggest to drop a lot of weight and keep it off as far as work out/diet? What background would be best to work up from, (jitsu, wrestling?..) Any books, dvds, equipment and so forth you'd recommend for learning/technique?

Sorry it's a long cliffs

2. Rob H

Rob H New Member

3. Mannaze

Mannaze New Member

practice a lot. Don't listen to people who say you're good because they probably suck too.

Try to have fun tho.

I suck btw.

4. Matt Hood

Matt Hood New Member

I was looking at some heavy bags, and possibly getting some mats and turning one of my rooms into a training space. Yeah, I don't assume that I'm good just because of him telling me that. I understand that me having good boxing skills doesn't make me a good fighter. He was more towards jitsu and kick boxing. What's a good place online to get cheap/good equipment? Someone make me a starter kit i.e. supplements, equipment, what to start learning first.

5. damiand

damiand Proceed

2 ways to start, and different people will tell you different things. I for one say, spend a couple months working on your weight/cardio/muscle recovery so that when you do go to train you get to learn from start to finish, and not gas and not really feel like trying 40 min in.

That being said, many people say that its good to just go ahead and train, since training will get you in shape too, and youre still learning from those around you during that time instead of running or lifting.

Either way, stick to whatever the hell you want to do for an extended period of time, and yorue bound to get somewhere.

6. Hillary

Hillary fukc yaeh. ew waitled long enough. nujgses of hill

Don't intend to train yourself (what it sounds like), that's for damn sure.

7. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

Join a gym.

8. Matt Hood

Matt Hood New Member

I wasn't going to completely. If I do something I like to do it the best. I plan on joining a gym and taking some sort of classes. I'm just looking for a starting point/what other people did when they first started.

9. Matt Hood

Matt Hood New Member

What's best for cardio? Run, bike, jump rope? Sorry I be nub.

10. MyLittleAirport

The way I see it, you're rushing into it. Join a gym, try out a couple gyms around you, see what you like and decide on one. The cardio will come, right now you should be focusing on a gym. Personally, I think you should just stick to one style but since you just want to do amatuer MMA for fun and probably not expecting to be the #1 LHW in the world anytime soon.

11. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

12. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

13. Matt Hood

Matt Hood New Member

Should that be my goal to fight 205? I like banging but at the same time I want to be well rounded. I have one gym locally, within an hour of me at least. That's where the top team around here all trains. I have a couple of boys that train but they're a few hours away and would be a hassle even trying to get together with them to train regularly.

14. MyLittleAirport

I don't know what your goals are and you shouldn't be asking me to define your goals for you. Do you just want to fight amatuer and thats it? Or do you want to go Pro? Do you just want to lose weight and view it as a hobby?

Most of the pro fighters who are at the top of their game specialized in one area before branching off. BJ Penn (BJJ), Fedor (Sambo), Anderson Silva (Muay Thay), etc. etc. These guys worked their asses off in one style and got GREAT at them, you don't see many guys who are good in all areas at being in the top 3 of their weight class (GSP would be an exception for this, he's great at everything but Rich Franklin would be an example of being "well rounded" since Rich Franklin is good at everything but isn't really great at one specific style, Franklin's sloppy looping punching technique is one of the reasons why Silva's straight technical punching and feet movement allowed Franklin to get beat).

SO, what are your goals again?

15. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

Just get out there and get your feet wet. Most people love the idea, not the reality.

You wouldn't be the first (overweight) guy who said he wanted to be a fighter, bought a bunch of equipment, and quit within a month.

16. whup

whup I wish you had children and.. so that I could step

This thread has gone too far without someone saying.

NEVER BACK DOWN

17. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

1-3 years. Awesome.

Honest advice is find a gym, and go try it out. I think a lot of people are really a lot more fond of the idea than they are cutting weight and competing on top of all the bumps and bruises you end up with.

Prepare to be frustrated all to hell, especially if there isn't anybody else new at the gym when you start. I think it took me like 6 months to get where I didn't feel like a complete and total idiot when I started BJJ.

18. Ricey McRicerton

I don't know how you could watch videos and try to decide that you were going to compete without having at least a few guys to train with. :eek3:

19. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Just get started, and then in about a year think about competing.

20. Hillary

Hillary fukc yaeh. ew waitled long enough. nujgses of hill

Don't go into this just wanting to fight. If you do that, you're going to just rush into things, have bad technique, try to brawl, and it may or may not work out for you.

Go into things like you appreciate the sport and you really want to learn it. You're technical will improve much faster, you'll be a better training partner, and a fight will just be a test of your skills--thus making the outcome seem a lot better for you.

I tend to do cardio in the mornings and at noon, then classes at night. Ease into it though. I don't know about most people, but I can't get myself back into rolling cardio by running/biking. It's a completely different kind of worn out, so I recommend just start taking classes.

I don't see a problem with you starting jiu jitsu and, say, a boxing class at the same time. Just don't be one of those asshole that does air-MMA while rolling, it'll get you choked. The more you roll, the more you drill, the better your technique and the better your cardio.

Try out a couple different gyms (what area are you in, in case some of us can recommend a place?) and settle on one you like. Not only are the instructors important, but look for a place with approachable training partners at a good skill level. They will be a huge asset to your training.

Oh yeah...Never Back Down.

21. Exiled

Exiled New Member

22. Ricey McRicerton

What do you do for a living? You seem to have tons of money to travel around and compete and tons of time to train.

23. Bausk

Bausk New Member

She's a student. She explained in another thread.

24. 4bangin

4bangin Ballet of Violence

Sign up for a school. Dont bother with DVDs and such. They might be good for tips later down the road, but not in the beginning. Dont risk learning bad habits, they're hard to break. If you for some reason can not join a school at the moment, work on your cardio. Start losing weight and fight at whatever weight you feel comfortable at. Good luck.

25. Optamix

Optamix New Member

She has a few sponsors but its mainly that she puts 100% of her time into doing it. You can always find money and extra time if its what you dedicate your life too.