SRS I'm uhskurred of airports and flying!

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ebbnflo, Jun 23, 2006.

1. ebbnflo

ebbnflo REAL- LAOT Hermit

:noes: My grandfather died Wednesday night and I am flying out to IL to attend his funeral (I am in AZ). I haven't flown since before 9/11 and since then, 9/11 has owned me, and I now have a phobia of airports and flying. Stupid as it may be, I hope I don't poop myself walking into the airport and then again getting on the plane. I am being :mamoru: about it, but I actually do fear having a panic attack tomorrow when I get to the airport.

I got myself some homeopathic stuff Hyland's Nerve Tonic, Calms Forte, and I also got some Valerian (mother nature's Valium) and hope that will be enough to get me through it. I thought about asking my Dr. to write me a Rx for a couple/few pills, but.... I dunno, I am on enough medication as it is....

Anyway, think happy thoughts for me,:x: or something, cuz I will probably be standing in front of the airport like :eek3: for a few minutes before I muster up the intestinal fortitude (if I had balls, I'd said TESTicular,heh) to go on in there.
    Oy.....
    That's all. Thanks.... The End.
    (hoping that keeping a sense of humor will help)

2. KatWoman

KatWoman •••••••••••

You'll be fine :) the last time I flew before 9/11 was in 1990. Then in 2003 I got 2 flight coupons as a wedding gift and it was off to Florida. I think I was more nervous about the flight itself (I had forgotten how the pressure etc. changes). I did fine. then last weekend I took my first solo trip (no family or friends along) and was a bit nervous about that, but once I made my way to the gate I had a blast. I got a window seat and enjoyed the scenery...what little there was for an hour-long flight :mamoru:

3. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I'm a firm believer in never flying unmedicated. It used to be because I was afraid. Now I do it because it keeps me relaxed so I don't show up with severe lower back pain. Get some Xanax/Valium from your doctor. Two for each flight. Seriously.

4. The Secretary

The Secretary My domestic skills will rock your socks off!

I flew to TX back last august, I was fully undmedicated and it was the first time I had flown in about 8 years (i was 12). I was completely unmedicated and had a good flight. Just be able to follow directions and answer questions and you will be fine. My dad works for TSA (the people that check ur bags for bombs and other various paraphenalia) in a small airport where we live. Be nice to them and the airline staff they are ones that either deny or grant you boarding. Make sure you dont have a lighter on you or you carry a cheapy one bc you will not board the plane with it.

Sorry to hear for your loss as well.

5. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

I flew like 90k miles last year and about 30k so far this year.. you'll be fine :)

just bring something in case you're having some sort of panic attack.

6. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Well after 9/11 its a great idea to fly directly afterwards, especially because its highly unlikely a second attack would follow that soon. Every day ten thousands of planes take off every day and you only hear about an airplane crash every once in a while , more often you hear about car crashes, and still you step into your car every day too right?

You know your gonna die anyway, its better to die in one time when the plane crashes, then having some horrible disease that consumes you for months in pain and agony before you die. Compared to that , i would love to die in a planecrash.

I can't believe people are scared of flying in planes, its more comfortable then a bus ride. :dunno: you need a more fatalistic approuch when stepping in the plane something like ' i don't care if i die ' is better then > im going to die.

7. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I used to be scared of flying. Then I had a job doing air cargo right by the airport, and saw hundreds of planes take off every day and loand every day. They never ever crashed. That helped. Seeing them be fine.

But I still can't handle being in the back of an MD-80 where the engines cover the windows and its so LOUD from them and you can't see out the window to know you're not spiraling towards the ground and they make steep banks at some airports. Bigger planes are easier. I H8 MD-80s.

8. bigballofyarn

bigballofyarn OT Supporter

Try not to be too scared. Remember 9/11 was a few idiots attacking us. There's a very very SMALL chance that the plane you get on will be hijacked and flown into another building. You have a better chance of meeting Pam Anderson on the plane, and finding a judge to marry you before you land, than you do of crashing. Try to think positively and remember that everything will be okay.

9. bigballofyarn

bigballofyarn OT Supporter

I never got motion sickness. Once you're up there you can't even feel that you're moving. (Usually) Your ears might pop though due to the change in air pressure.

It might be rough if you run into an unexpected storm or something like that. Usually the ride is pretty calm.

The only thing that I got was bored and a little crampy feeling from sitting down for so long.

10. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I'm on an MD-80 to Oklahoma City in August. SHIZA! At least I got a seat at the front.

11. Arclight

Arclight Hypercube

I religiously watch the show "Mayday" on discovery.

Don't watch it :o

12. ebbnflo

I'm back. I lived. LOL
    Heading OUT to IL was the hard part, Coming back was not nearly as bad.

The thing was, I KNOW all of that stuff, y'know the RATIONAL, LOGICAL stuff, but phobias don't give a flying fuck (heh, accidental pun) about rationality. I used homeopathic/herbal stuff, rather than Rx. I was nervous heading to the airport and probably the 2 "rough" spots were stepping INTO the airport the 1st time, and getting on the plane. I felt a little panicky, and kind of got very slightly teary eyed and shakey, but not bad. I sorta got on the plane verrrrrrrry sloooooooowly, though. LOL

Actually FACING the thing I was phobic of,seemed to be the right thing to do. Not that I wanna be out flying all over the place every month or anything. At least I know I can do it without totally wigging out.

Side notes - To the person who mentioned that it'd be more likely for me to meet Pam Anderson and marry her on the plane, Yeah, that Pam thing becomes even more unlikely since I am not a lesbian, and even if I was....well, not too many people who can legally marry gays right now.....maybe if we were on our way into Hawaii? LOL

I took the death of my grandfather a LOT harder than I expected to. The funeral was very poignant, and to my surprise, I BAWLED like a big ol' baby. He was my last living grandparent.
    He was one of the primary teachers (in the school of life) from whom I learned the divinity in having a sense of humor.

13. Broken5hift

Broken5hift New Member

i hate flying. im like a little school girl at the boarding of a plane squeeling and freaking out. Ive been on a plane a few times, the worst was when i went to vegas and it took almost 6 hours. i sat next to a 400 pound guy sweating his ass off. when he got up to go to the bathroom people were handing me cologne ads from their magazines and wiping down his seat with them to kill the odor. we have 4 1/2 of turbulance. it was horrible. i refuse to go on a plane anymore.

14. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Yeah turbulance is a bitch, you can even fall down for hundreds of meters, its the greatest rollercoaster ride for people with suicidal tendecies. :mamoru: , but honestly i think flying is overrated, it doesn't do anything for me, exept it being a pain in the butt if you fly for long hours.

15. Broken5hift

Broken5hift New Member

i hate the free fall feeling. i squeel like such a girl during it :noes:

16. The best thing to keep in mind is that you're okay; it's the rest of the herd that's gone insane...:coolugh:

17. ebbnflo

:mamoru: Hmmm. well it's pretty much the insane herd that scares me, I think.

18. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

Flying sucks. Recently flew a 16 hour journey to Hong Kong I damn near wanted to go puke my lungs out the last 3 hours of it.

But to think of never being able to see places I've never been to before is a fate worse then death to me....

Tips for long plane trips:
    -- bring something to snack on. I sustained myself on Mac Nut Kona Coffee cookies and Sour Patch Kids. This allows you to pass on some of the horrible airplane meals from time to time. This last time I actually tried bringing a full take-out meal of fried chicken on the trip. It was good eating on the plane when everyone was sucking on their dried "beef or chicken" platter, but a pain in the ass to carry. Having something to chew or suck on (like gum or hard candy) as the plane is descending seems to help somewhat with the air pressure headaches.

-- keep hydrated. Avoid carbonated drinks they make you even more thirsty. In this last trip I discovered hot tea to be fantastic for moistening my dried out nasal passages and curing any thirst. Barring that, water or juice is good.

-- wear loose fitting pants, maybe even shorts. While it can get cold on some planes, just hog a couple of the blankets once you get on the plane. If you wear something like tight jeans on a plane, you'll have some serious denim wedgies riding up your ass after the first couple hours. By the same token, slippers or flip-flops are better for foot circulation then shoes and much faster to handle when you're passing security gates.

-- if you can't sleep on the plane like me. Bring every damn form of entertainment you can find. I had a book, a magazine, a PSP, and an IPod. It was just a few notches short of Disneyland in my seat. If turbulence hits you can pretend it's force feedback.

The rest you just have to endure......

19. ebbnflo

YUK YUK!:)