SRS i'm turning 21 and really need to get my life in shape

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by BoostedBoogie, Apr 4, 2005.

1. turning 21 in may, and i graduated high school in 02/03, and went to a local community college ever since. i didn't go to this semester because i'm on academic probation (and i have to help my mom with stuff around the house since we will be having relatives moving in VERY soon).

reason why i'm on academic probation is because while working on getting my degree/transfer, i seem to just can't stick with the classes. it's not that i get bored or anything, it's just something is wrong with me to where i will lose interest suddenly and will either drop the class or miss a lot of the classes.... so last semester, i failed one of the classes that i could've passed so easily and my GPA fell below 2.0 for 2 consecutive semesters. i'm currently going to try to appeal this probation on my own.

well now my semester break is almost over and i'm heading over to the college to pick up my transcript with my mom, because a few months back she wanted me to transfer to ITT tech. i was ok with that at the time, but now i've changed career goals (my original major inolved computer science with emphasis on web design/authoring and digital graphics/media).

so after the change of heart, i looked into the art institute and was interested in their advertising program, then i did some research and heard horror stories from that place. one example: my cousin who owns a company in FL hired 3 of the local AI's best graduates, and fired them the following week for not being able to do anything.

so now i'm at a serious crossroads of my life. i realize this following week is going to be very important to me, and if i don't step up, i'll either end up in jail or become a loser living with my parents until they can't support me.

just to make things interesting, i'm a jehovah's witness and pioneering (going door to door, handing out publications at public places, things like that) is VERY important to me and in a few years, i plan to attend bethel (new york facility that is sort of like a college for us witnesses, but we do things such as type up publications, ship/send them out, audio recordings, etc.) and i'm really intent on pioneering/attending bethel in 3-5 years... so this kind of makes things a bit complicating.

i'm just not exactly sure what i want to do for the rest of my life career/education wise. i do know i will be devoting a lot of myself to god and my religious ministry work, but i can't do any of that if i can't support myself financially... my parents are very traditional and successful which makes this harder for me every day. only last night my mom and i had that 'talk' about where i'm going with my life, and it was serious.

i need some help here :wtc:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2005
  2. i know for sure i want to do my religious work, but my main concern is the educational/career to support myself. i also have the option to get my real estate license and work in conjunction with my parents (they offered before) and help with loans and appraisals, things like that, only because they've been very successful in the business for 25+ years here in san diego.

during the talk i had with my mom, i was at tears because of how critical the situation is, but i recall her saying whatever i want to do, she will try to be open to it. she is a VERY traditional mother, and if i told her i wanted to drop out of college and work at realty, i think it would just crush her. i may discuss with her more about that on our way to my school tomorrow.

she buys and sells houses for a living, making lots of money from equity and has been successful at it, and i threw around ideas on working with her, but i'm still confused.

3. the religious work, i can work around... im just confused as to what should i do, continue to get my degree at this community college? or go to this community college then transfer to a local university and get my degree there, or should i drop out of the college and start anew at a place like ITT or coleman, or maybe the art institute?

i'm leaning towards the last choice at the current moment, especially if some of my previous credits i already achieved are transferable. if not that, i may even discuss with my mom about dropping out and going for my real estates license and working either with my parents, or get an internship at a real estate place and work my way up.

but at this moment, i'm VERY open to suggestions, any suggestions.

edit: if i were to drop out, my mom would be out by $1500 bucks or something like that all spent on books, tuition, and classes. dropping out would mean swallowing our losses and all the tuition/books wasted. when i do start working though, i'm going to definitely save up and pay her back for my mistakes.

4. hm that makes sense, can you elaborate on what you mean by different approach to education?

and i also want to discuss with my mom on getting a part-time job while taking a break from school... i've tried to already and she's one of those types that want me to stay in school otherwise no one would hire me. i was about to send out applications later this month with the credentials i do have, and i'm pretty confident i can land a nice web design/web authoring job to hold me down for a while.

5. beefarinos

beefarinos New Member

You are not "really" at a crossroads. Even if you don't make a decisions now, or fail to make the right decision your life will not hurdle into prison sentences and welfare. Don't get caught up in your own personal drama.

Your GPA dropping below 2.0 is a serious problem though, it will effect your ability to transfer to a good school or get a job. If you can't focus on classes, then stop going until you can. You are just wasting your parents money and F'ing up your transcripts by getting shitty grades.

I suggest you try life for a spell. Get a job and try to support yourself. Nothing will get you focused like struggeling for survival...OR..you may find yourself succeding where you didn't think you could before. Either way it will help you re-focus your energy. It sounds like you've spent to long being coddled by mom & dad's bank account and plush accomodations.

Additionally, your 21 there is no reason you cannot hold a full time job and go to classes if you want. But when it's your $1,000+ you've spent on classes, you'll damn well make sure you get your money's worth.

6. BlackHBDX

BlackHBDX The grey fixer

7. that's almost exactly true, they really spoil me but i try not to let it make me cocky or bigheaded... but i think them spoiling me all my life plays a part somehow in all of this. i mean i'm fortunate to have parents like them and love them, so i'm trying not to go against my mother's words at the same time, but realistically if i need that break from school to refocus, it would make more sense to take it.

8. that WOULD be an option, but as a jehovah's witness, we are neutral in political things... so we don't vote, don't join military, etc. we still pay taxes and obey the law, we just don't partake in wars, etc.

edit: well i'm getting off my butt right now and heading over to the college to pickup a transcript request form :cool:

9. beefarinos

beefarinos New Member

Please be clear on what I said. I didn't say take a break, and would have to side with moms & dad not wanting to let you take a break. WTF do you need a break from? Not paying bills? Not passing class? Seriously, you can't understand why they wouldn't be excited to pay for you to fuck off for a semester?

I said you need to find out what it's like to struggle. You need to experience what it's like to have $5 in the bank, a refrigirator full of condiments, and an empty gas tank. You need to find out what it is to work, not for things you want like car accessories, booze, and bimbos; but for basic life necessities like a roof and some food.

Nothing re-focuses you like real life.

10. yea thats what i meant, sorry for the misunderstanding... i actually lived for a year with my brother when i was 19. although my parents paid for tuition fees, my bro and i were struggling with rent, car payments, insurance, food, and braces :hs: don't laugh... but we got through it and eventually i moved back with my parents for a while.

i think i might have ADD though on a realistic note, i can't focus on anything, even if it isn't school-related, i'm always changing my mind on things, always distracted, etc. i felt the same way throughout most of highschool, but always thought nothing of it mainly because it was, well, highschool.

11. beefarinos

beefarinos New Member

ADD or not, you've got to start your life sometime.

Get out, find a roomate, and get a place to live. Get a full time job and start supporting yourself. The longer you wait to start, the harder it will be. Take the gamble now, if you fail you fail, your parents will help you get back on your feet and it will all go down as a learning experience for their 21yr old son. No big deal. If you wait till yout 25+, it will be harder, your parents will expect more, failure will be less of an option, etc..

Relize it's your life. Nobody else can live it but you. Nobody can say what you should or shouldn't do. But you shouldn't expect others(parents) to foot the bill. Get an education, volunteer for your church, Peace corps, travel, etc..

You've seriously got a lot of freedom at this point in life. Don't stress over the decisions like your life is hinged on this one decision. Embrace it as a chance to go out and experience things.

12. assclown

assclown Active Member

I was the same way with dropping classes and whatnot. I couldn't stick with anything, and I didn't know why. I'd be dropping classes and switching majors left and right. I'm 21 now and I think i've finally found something I can enjoy doing.

You just gotta find something you really enjoy doing. That's part of college, you'll find it one day. Just hang in there. Sorry i'm not in the speech giving mood right now and can't say anything worthwhile :o :hsd:

Good luck :hug:

13. thanks for all the kind words guys :hug:

i actually just went to school this morning to pick up my transcript, it's in an envelope right now and if the seal is broken, it will be unofficial :noes:

right now looking into some research on better schools that are local here for besides the art institute, and maybe even considering ITT. i'm currently waiting for a return call from someone at AI and ITT to discuss transferable credits, and their schedule plans.

14. SE14

SE14 Guest

College isn't for everyone. Try a trade school or something.

Btw, have you ever converted anyone by doing that door to door stuff?

15. yes, we don't really call it converting, if the person wants to have a bible study, we are more than happy. if they aren't interested, we fully understand. if they like to read our publications (you'd be surprised as to how many people love just receiving our magazines that are pretty educational), we are also more than happy to stop by and drop off some copies.

16. SE14

SE14 Guest

What percentage become full fledged Jehova Witnesses from door to door stuff? Also, is there special rewards or accolades for convincing someone to become Jehova Witness? Last questions I swear.

17. that's ok, i don't mind the questions.

in my experience, usually 2 out of 4 decide to become baptized... but it varies depending on the person. usually a person becomes too busy and it really affects if they're willing to become a witness or not, so it varies, but usually turns out 50/50. sometimes a lot of interested people just continue to attend our meetings for a really long time before moving on.

and there are no special rewards or anything... just personal heartfelt stuff.

18. Mel

Mel RIP James :(

Honestly , you're only 21. :) The only thing you really do to get your life in gear is start a good savings plan for the future, other than that, you don't have to have your career future entirely mapped out right now. Get into a couple different fields and see what you like best, then get on with the schooling.

And if you change your mind if 5 years, oh well. You're still really young.

19. *Ambiorix*

*Ambiorix* New Member

dude, get into real estate if they are so good at it.... that is totally what I would do. It seems like a good window for you. Id go for it.

20. shankems2000

shankems2000 If you read everybody's user text and location, yo

I don't want to sound rude, but it seems like you lack will power. You can do anything you WANT to do ( I know it's corny but it's true). How badly do you want to be able to support yourself and find a good job?

You got below a 2.0 GPA because you failed a class that you could have easily passed? Man, I don't know what to say except there is no excuse for that shit,it sounds like laziness, especially when you said you could've easily passed it.

I can't lend you any advice as far as careers, because only you know what it is that you think will make you happy and successful in life. Since you know or at least have a basic idea of what you want to do, you need to go and find out exactly what it is you need to do to accomplish that goal.

Also like someone else said I think you should support yourself for an extended period of time ( I mean by yourself, no roomies), the seemingly bleak future from working a shitty low paying or unsatisfying job should give you more than enough incentive to do good in school or whatever will make you successful and happy.

21. johnyIROC

johnyIROC 100% Rehabilitated OT Supporter

First you need to get out of the cult... then everything else will fall into place.

22. oh so we're a cult because we adhere to the bible? last i remember, a cult was a group that worshiped one human leader, whether his teachings were unorthodox or not.

23. jesus teachings were inspired by god, same as those some-40 authors who wrote the bible contents, all inspired by god. you saying that all christians in general are a cult?

24. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Shouldn't this be in the asylum?

25. beefarinos

beefarinos New Member

cult [​IMG] ([font=verdana,sans-serif] P [/font]) Pronunciation Key (k[​IMG]lt)
    n.
      1. A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader.
      2. The followers of such a religion or sect.
    1. A system or community of religious worship and ritual.
    2. The formal means of expressing religious reverence; religious ceremony and ritual.