I'm trying to network XP Pro and XP home and...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MobileSuit, Sep 25, 2006.

1. MobileSuit

MobileSuit New Member

I'm about ready to throw both the computers out the window.

I've got it to where both computers can see each other but neither can access the other. I'm about ready to transfer the files over AIM or something.

Anyone have any suggestions?

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

XP Home can't compute NTFS file-access permissions. If you want XP Home to be able to access files on a computer running XP Pro, you need to make sure that the "Everyone" user on the XP Pro machine is allowed full control over the shared files. In order to make sure this is happening, you need to shut off "Simple File Sharing" in the Options for Windows Explorer; this will let you see all of the permissions that are set, not just the basic "share this" or "don't share this" that usually appears.

3. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

It may sound trivial...but make sure you have disabled any firewall software (or at least allowed exceptions), and make sure Windows File and Printer Sharing is enabled.

4. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

ummmm, why? I had a clients' laptop here yesterday, WinXP home, MS firewall.

Networked via Linksys router with my WinXP Pro machine, MS firewall. File sharing both ways without a hitch.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Because Windows is funky like that.

6. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

I can see everything on all of my systems, my xp pro laptop, my xp pro desktop and my girlfriends xp home laptop.

I'd just make sure that all the systems are on the same workgroup. Make sure you have a shared folder on one of them and then go to the other and do a windows search for the name of the other computer. If it won't find the other one by name, try by IP address.