I'm trading my G35C for either a S2000 or a 350Z

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by NEW LUDA, Oct 22, 2004.

1. NEW LUDA

NEW LUDA Guest

I know 99% of OT is in love with the G35C, but I certainly am not anymore. Overweight, understeering, slow, and poorly built with a cheap interior. The car looks good, but I need something with better performance. The car will be my daily driver.

I know tons about the G35, so the most familiar option is of course the 350Z. It certainly feels sharper and more nimble around town. However, after having driven it at a track, I was not impressed. The car understeers just like the G35...the Z has even worse weight distribution!

After that disappointing drive, I've also been considering the S2K. I haven't been able to test drive the S2K yet. I used to be afraid that I would look like a bitch in it, but I have been perusing S2Ki and I've seen some sick stooks. My main problem with the S2K is the moddability of the engine. The Z is no STI, but I could at least get flywheel, gears, plenum, cats, and ECU reflash for some relatively cost effective performance gains. The only cost effective mod for the S2K seems to be the 4.XX gears. Also, it doesn't seem like the car will make a good daily driver..I hear it is noisy at highway speeds.

Furthermore, with a flywheel, relocated battery, and a non-staggered tire setup, I could probably eliminate most of the Z's understeer.

I am going to be doing Solo II occasionally, so of course the S2K's handling appeals to me. But the car will also be my daily driver, and some torque and GT-ness would be nice.

NOTE: I am only looking at the S2K and the Z. Don't suggest anything else.
    ALSO: I know I don't have an avatar. I'm a car enthusiast looking for some good advice.

Cliffs: S2K or 350Z? I will be doing Solo II and the occasional road course. It will be a daily driver, but as long as it isn't totally bouncy and noisy I'm OK.

2. Transporter

Transporter A Bathing Ape

I had the same problem. S2k or 350Z. I went with the S2K and loved it ever since. Everytime you get in the car and start driving is fun.

3. elgabito

elgabito New Member

s2k is better at autox, Z is better at everything else. #1 complaint on S2k is lack of torque. The 04+ are much better due to a 2.2 and lower redline, but still nothing compared to the Z. They are not fun to drive in a stop and go situation. The Z on the other hand, has such a level powerband that it doesn't even feel fast. Excellent grocery getter. Better aftermarket.

4. Discrepancy

Discrepancy Guest

350z = strength
    S2000 = agility

Pros of the 350z: Hard to see out of, overweight, disappointing top end
    Pros of the S2000: A little too rough for some people, disappointing low end

You probably know this but I think it's fair to reiterate.

If I was in your shoes, I would look for both cars. I would look for a used 2004 S2000, and a used 2004.5 and beyond 350z enthusiast edition.

If you could find a good deal on a used 04 S2000, I would do basic modifications, this clutch package and supercharge it.

If you could find a good deal on a used enthusiast edition, you could buy your own wheels that look better, your own seats and a better head unit. That's all the touring edition is, leather seats (which are shitty in my opinion), a Bose audio system (and Bose is shitty), and wheels (which are shitty). The 350z will never be a Miata when it comes to handling, but you could certainly make it a lot better with basic and cheap suspension mods.

I'd just search for the best deal and get either one, both are great cars that could be greater if you're willing to invest time in them.

5. AlohaRacing

AlohaRacing Freak that bitch out

How would a "pro" of the Z be disappointing top end? I don't get it. And, I disagree...The Z has great top end.

Also, I don't have any issues with visibility. :dunno:

6. Eric Happy Meal

Eric Happy Meal New Member

test drive an rx-8. i know your not considering it, but just go and take it for a test drive (not going to hurt anything) since you seem to be pretty concerned about how well the car handles.

7. failsaf3

failsaf3 Ungood

350z- what's up aloha :)

8. Discrepancy

Discrepancy Guest

by pros I meant cons, teehee

I've driven one and the top end disappointed me, I expected to feel more NISMO DORIFTOU POWAH, but then again Nissan probably just spoiled us with the 300 tt

9. vtectyper

vtectyper New Member

I would go with the s2000 I just test drove both of them in the past week. These are my views on it.

350Z-Shit load of more torque than S2k.
    I didnt like the clutch at all. Not made for everyday driving
    The interior isnt that nice.
    Felt a bit heavy.
    Exhausts sounds real nice

S2k- Has enough low end for the 2004 but when pushed hard under 6000 rpms theres not much power.
    Has very good top end when the the vtec kicks in.
    Sounds like a F1 car.
    Handles like a dream.
    And the best part is that it can be a everyday car. The clutch is very forgiving and not very stiff. And it also shifts like a dream.

10. AlohaRacing

hey J! Long time, no talk. I never see you on the board anymore (not that i post much either).

How's your Z?

11. NEW LUDA

NEW LUDA Guest

It's gonna be the S2K :bowdown:
    I am sort of considering the Evo MR too..is the handling in the Evo really that much better than the S2K's?

12. Transporter

Transporter A Bathing Ape

Good choice with the S2K. You wont regret it. Ive had mine for almost 1.5 years and still love driving it.

13. AlohaRacing

If you don't need the extra 2 doors, stick with the s2k.

14. Eric Happy Meal

Eric Happy Meal New Member

the 4g is ALOT easier to get more power out of than with the f20.

15. NEW LUDA

NEW LUDA Guest

Power aside, how does the handling of the Evo MR compare to the S2000?

16. civicracinggirl7

civicracinggirl7 New Member

my bf was deciding between the g35 coupe and the s2000... he picked up the s2k just under two years ago. a friend of his has the g35 coupe right now, and while he does like it, he has no regrets about choosing the s2k over the g35.

17. Drag On

Drag On Guest

Just stick with the S2k and mod it.. You can make some NICE mods for fairly reasonable price that will net decent enough games. Torque is only part of the equation, as you know gearing and rotational mass effect off the line driveability..

The MR is bad ass - but is not in the same class. It is a four door car from a notoriously unreliable company. if you want balls to the walls with room for the babies - get the MR..

My buddy sold his S2k and bought an EVO - and has never regretted it. But he isn't the convertible/roadster kind of guy.

18. Go with the S2000. But what wrong with the g35 Coupe? Whats the diff between it and a G35 coupe?

19. NEW LUDA

NEW LUDA Guest

Is there honestly anything you can do to a stock S2k that will yield a noticeable improvement? I know 4.57 gears are popular, but the 2004's already come with 4.1s.

I'm not too much of a convertible type of guy either - though perhaps it would be nice. I am really fed up with the build quality of my G35C though, and I don't want to trade in for an Evo if that means bad build quality.

20. civicracinggirl7

civicracinggirl7 New Member

could get the oem hardtop with the s2k... my bf had it added on to the cost when he picked his up... the hardtop is on 99% of the time because he loves it...

21. NismoRacer98

NismoRacer98 New Member

My dad had a G35 and it is definently over rated. He now has an Evolution 8 and he couldnt ask for anything else. That car has everything you will need to destroy anybody on the street!!!!

22. NismoRacer98

NismoRacer98 New Member

I know u said dont suggest getting anything else but u should seriously check the Evolution 8, the RS model or the Mr model. I garuntee u will be happier with that car because if your looking for mods the Evo line has about anything you'll need to make that car Go. Me and My dad havent touched our Evo yet cause its still on warrante but as soon as 36,000 miles come we should have the Evo's hp up to about 500-550. So like i said you should consider the Evo line up.

23. NismoRacer98

NismoRacer98 New Member

My uncle has a S2k and i have driven it before and the handling doesnt even compare to the Evo MR, but i'm not saying that the s2k's handling is bad though. Trust the Evo is the way to GO!!

24. AlohaRacing

anyone? :squint: :nono:

25. Sal Paradise

Sal Paradise OT Supporter

Any S2000 owners on? How much is insurance running you compared to a "non-sports car"? I'm seriously looking to pick one up, but I'm concerned that insurance is going to be ridiculous for a 22 year old.