I'm tired of numb feet!

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Virtualmikey, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Virtualmikey

Virtualmikey OT Supporter

I've been getting this for years. I just bought a new pair of new balance runners, and it didn't help (not that I expected it to.) anymore than all the other pairs of running shoes I've tried.

I can work out in them fine, walk around all day no problem, but when I run, eliptical, or other cardio, my feet - especially my toes - go numb. Is there something I can do to stop it? Last night it was paticularly annoying, so I thought it would be time to post and stop lurking.

Mikey

2. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

you thought wrong

3. Virtualmikey

for a response to my first post on here, I'd say that was somewhat friendly compared to the welcome mat some people have rolled out for them.

4. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

yeah I'm half asleep... I didn't even mention anything about you signing your post. I'm slippin.

I'd say visit a running forum or running store... ask PcH/Girl_Next_Door/Xela - they are all pretty big in to distance running.

5. xela

xela So say we all!

Are you tying your shoes too tight?

6. benny196

benny196 New Member

7. Virtualmikey

I don't think I am. I've been running for about 8 years now (nothing major, 3miles/3days a week, 5miles/Saturday) just to stay in shape and still be able to enjoy eating a ton, and I've been getting this forever.

Asics, Nike, Nb, I even tried running in my K-swiss (forgot my shoes at the house, and the 10k was starting in like 1/2 an hour) and I still get it. It doesn't really "hurt" as such, it's just disconcerting having my feet go numb when I run.

I'll loosen them up to the point of flopping around a little and try that.

8. y1997

y1997 Made in the U.S.S.R.

It might be a pinched nurve.

9. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

if you have weak or subtle arches and wear shoes with strong arches it can cut off the circulation to the toes when there is a lot of compression, like when you're running.

maybe see an pediatrist? or like maine said, go to a running forum, they probably know of 30 different things that this could be and know 10 ways to fix each of them.

10. chizzle

chizzle New Member

It happens to me periodically. Usually if I don't warm-up first.

11. chizzle

chizzle New Member

...or that

12. xela

xela So say we all!

You might be buying good shoes, but are you going to a specialty store to get fitted for them? You might be a under or over pronator, you might have flat feet, etc and they can find a shoe that's right for you. You might need arch supports...who knows.

If you have already done that and you're still having a problem than I would suggest going to see a doc.

13. Virtualmikey

The only thing I can think of is that I've always ran on the outside of my feet for some reason (meaning the Left and right sides of my shoes, respectively, wear down to the nub before the new is even off of the inside edges)

I think I'll just go see a sports doc and see what he thinks. I don't want to find out I've been screwing up a nerve all these years and didn't do anything about it.

14. xela

xela So say we all!

If your shoes are doing that, than you are definitely under pronating (I think) I get the two terms confused. I do the same thing and they found great shoes for me and I don't have any problems.

I'm using the Asics Gel-Landreth. Not sure if they make them for guys though....probably.

15. Cumstang02

Cumstang02 New Member

On the elliptical keep your heel planted ( It'll reduce the numbness) You can get a pair of shoes fitted for your feet. Only specialty shoe stores do it. That'll help reduce the numbness but running on hard surfaces are going to cause numbness, soreness to some people.

16. φ

φ Eugenics is the self-direction of human evolution.

:ugh2: You have been here for forty-seven days, faggot. Lurk more, post less.

17. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

thank you for that contribution

18. φ

φ Eugenics is the self-direction of human evolution.

Are you mad because of my superior bloodline?:confused:

19. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

:hsugh:

wow, just wow.

20. Reznik

Reznik New Member

Numbness means pinched nerve somewhere in the foot/leg or higher up. If its happening only while you're running... it could be from the impact and that contributing to a pinched nerve. I had a similar problem but it happened because of a pinched nerve in the L5-L6 discs in the back. So that is a possibilty. See a Dr.

21. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

:eek4: what did you have to do to remedy that situation?

22. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

(I doubt your shoes being tight is the problem,I'm gonna assume you aren't a retard and cutting off circulation with your shoe laces too tight, i mean unless your 8 years old i doubt this is an actual concern lol)

i've never had my feet go numb during excerisize so i'd venture a guess that the shoes aren't the cause regardless of the fit being perfect or off by a bit (i've worn some shitty shoes in my life time), i'd probably talk to a Dr for this one cause that would worry me if i had that problem

23. entropy138

entropy138 OT Supporter

I've def gone running with mine too tight and had my feet go numb... but it takes like 30 seconds to go 'oh hey dipshit - you tied too tight - loosen - continue on'

So maybe go for a run and when they get numb loosen a little bit and keep going. If it's from being too tight it only takes like 30 seconds to a minute to go away. Otherwise look into things others have suggested - proper shoes that you'll get even wear out of (thats a HUGE sign right there) or pinched nerves. Good luck - i hate numb feet - i have a huge problem with it snowboarding :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.