SRS im tired of making the "right" decisions....

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Sarge21, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Sarge21

Sarge21 Frau am Steuer Ungeheuer!

the only thing i have done in my life is strive to make the socially acceptable "correct" life decisions: do good in school, dont do drugs, diversify, etc....

but all i have been through is pain: broken home, trusting issues, jealousy problems etc....

Now i have found someone i truly love on a semester abroad (diversification, see AV <--) and now the distance is really wreaking havoc on my jealousy complex. I am in florida, she is in finland.

I am senior in a mechanical engineering degree with a 3.94 GPA, and i would drop out of school right now to go be with her. I am supposed to see her in december for 3 weeks and she is applying to do her PhD at my Uni which would put her here for 5 years starting next may.

I know i should just stick it out and finish my degree (3.~ more semesters) but im so fucking done with not being happy. She makes me happy and i want to be with her.

fuck....

2. johan

johan Active Member

Since you're a senior with a good gpa, you should finish out your last few months, make a good effort and graduate.

Take that degree which you've almost got, and after you're done and have that shiny degree in your backpocket, then and only then do you have my permission to slack off.

Slack off all you want. Take 6 months off, be with your honey, lay about the house, whatever you want.

Move to Finland and get a engineering job there if she doesn't get in at your university. Anything goes. Try that WITHOUT a degree. I'll bet serving coffee for a living won't be to your (or her) liking.

That engineering degree is your passport to doing all those things. Get it? FREEEEDOM. Isn't that what you truly want after all? That degree is what makes it happen.

Your options will be severely curtailed if you quit now, and don't get that degree. You're a smart guy, you know all this.

So get that degree first.

3. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

Get your degree.

If you're going to be together...consider she'll be that attractive woman with a PhD. What would you offer her?

4. awwwdreyawww

awwwdreyawww New Member

You know what? I think you're simply venting. Because if you are considering putting a woman before yourself, then that is saddening. It is a set-up for failure. If your jealousy had any leg to stand on beside your insecurities, she would not sacrifice 5 years to be with you. She is probably feeling a lot more uncertainties leaving things behind for one person. So, I may be wrong, but I'm just going to say it: Sounds like you've been through a lot of bad shit already (Much of which sounds like my story), so you might as well do something great for YOURSELF. No matter what happens with her, you'll be glad that you did. Hopefully it works out for you two. Then, it will be TWICE the acheivement. If not, oh well. At least you'll have something that can never be taken away from you, and that is a good feeling. What's NOT a good feeling is regret and resentment if she disappoints you.

You've made some great choices despite your adversity. Keep it up and keep your eye on the prize.

5. killer4605

killer4605 New Member

don't put her before you. i did that and boy was it the biggest mistake ever. and i thought the same way about my ex.

finish your degree. you'll see her in december. if it makes things any better, both of you get webcams and try to talk "face to face". think about how great it will be once you have your degree and you're making money and she's doing her PhD at your university.

focus on the future. what future would you have without that degree? think she wants to stay with a deadbeat? things will work out in the end, don't worry bro.

sidenote: i did similar shit to you (top grades, no drugs, didn't even drink or party, etc). the best thing i ever did was to say fuck it. everything is fine in moderation. i'll party if i know i can afford to, i'll drink with friends, i'll smoke weed when i need to relax and i know i don't have anything else i need to do. just don't let these things get in the way of your future and you'll be fine.

6. Los

Los Active Member

Finish your degree. You have your future to think about.

7. Los

Los Active Member

IF she falls into your plans of a great future, great. But she has to be willing to make the sacrifices and the committment to make it happen. If not, then life goes on.

8. nish81

nish81 OT Supporter

get that degree finished first