SRS I'm thinking of taking sleeping pills

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by JBunni, Aug 26, 2009.

1. JBunni

JBunni New Member

I've noticed I've been tired for a while. I feel like I need naps during the day. The worst is when I'm tired at work. I just feel like I haven't really slept well in a long time, probably at least 2 years. My mom bought me a new matress because I thought the other one was 'too old' and maybe it was the reason I wasnt sleeping well. But the new bed hasnt helped much. I still toss and turn a lot. Some nights it feels like every hour I'm awake. And I like to sleep, I try to get to bed early, but it still never feels like enough sleep. I thought maybe better sleep would help. Maybe if I take sleeping pills I can get a better sleep. But I really dont like taking pills, for 2 reasons. I dont like the feeling of swallowing them, and I dont like being dependant on any substance.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this, or has a solution that does not include pills. :hsugh:

2. 7960

7960 New Member

3. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

First you need to find out what it is that is keeping you from sleeping. Are you unable to fall asleep cause you have too many things on your mind? Do you drink too much caffeine during the day? Are you getting enough exercise (make sure it's not right before bed)?

The easiest thing to try first would be Melatonin, you can buy it at any drugstore. Yes it's a pill but it's not something that you can become dependent on. It's just the hormone your body produces that tells you when it's time to sleep. If your sleeping problems are due to anxiety/mind racing then melatonin isn't going to help though.

4. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

. and .

5. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

I really think examining what the underlying causes might be is crucial. If it's necessary to take a sleeping inducer, consider all the options first that are non-drug related. If the problem is determined to be unchangeable for whatever reason, there are a variety of medications that may help.

Consider exercising earlier, avoiding coffee and teas and other beverages or stimulants (including supplements with Ginseng, Yohimba etc). Take at least 1 hour prior to actual sleep, to read a book, or to meditate while laying on your bed under the covers. Going through a mental list after calming the mind down can help you organize what you accomplished during the day, and what you'd like to do soon. At the same time, you can "let go" of things that you can't solve at that moment, and put them to the side until the next day, when you may be able to help solve them.

There are a variety of techniques. Search the internet for Sleep Techniques and tips to fall asleep. Tossing and turning is difficult, and sometimes it can be related to the temperature in the room too. Sometimes it's the pillow. Is it too hard, too soft? How about the Mattress? All questions to consider.

Stress, family problems, other health problems? Perhaps problems that are developing but are currently unknown?

If the basics don't solve the problem, try supplementation with Melatonin or Valarian Root Extract or other OTC products that are known to be helpful to relax and sleep.

If nothing works see the doctor, and do it sooner rather than later, especially if the problem is worsening.

Never watch movies, play video games, or do other activities "right" before sleep. You need a "turn down" period to buffer your "awake" time, and when it's lights out time. Soothing activities that relax are best, including softer music (whatever type you already have would be best if you have any).

You get the point. :)

6. JBunni

JBunni New Member

Well, its not that I cant sleep, its that I keep waking up. I'm not awake long, Its just, wake up, turn, fall asleep. An hour later, wake up turn, turn again, turn again, and fall asleep. It just happens so many times a night, I just dont think I reach REM sleep that often. I probably should excercise more, but I dont drink that much coffee (for the same reason I dont like pills). Would the sleep techniques, or Melatonin help with sleeping deeper, or just falling asleep?

7. 7960

7960 New Member

both

8. vodkacollins

vodkacollins New Member

as will exercise. it doesnt take much, and it will make you feel better all around. you can start out small by going for 30 minute walks every day. see if that helps at all

9. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

Just take some melatonin. It helps. Exercise and eat well, will help too.

10. Abomb

Abomb New Member

melatonin stopped working for me