i'm thinking of switching from verizon to tmobile

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MiseryIndex, Oct 11, 2004.

1. MiseryIndex

MiseryIndex i never know why. i only know who. Moderator

i've had the same phone & verizon plan for almost 3 years, i'm paying 80 bucks a month for an average plan. its just too expensive. the gsm service here sucks, or i'd go back to at&t. so :sad2:

advice?

2. Jen

Jen ----------------

STAY AWAY FROM T-MOBILE! :o! I have T-Mobile. I hate it.

Actually, maybe it's just T-mobile UK. :eek3:

3. skooter

skooter Guest

I would get away from GSM, it sucks in the Detroit area also, i would suggest switching to Sprint, they have the most features, undoubtedly the best sound quality and with Fair and Flexible you wont pay a ridiculous amount for service. And plus Ready Link is a must have if you are going to be talking to your friends a lot.

4. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

did i really just read someone saying only positive things about sprint?

unpossible!!!

5. skooter

skooter Guest

I think someone is jealous :)

6. maczter

not jealous. you're just the first completely satisfied sprint customer i've ever seen. :)

7. moocat

moocat hello there OT Supporter

I had T-Mobile when they were still called VoiceStream in NY. The service was horrid. I switched to Verizon which is more expensive but I get signals everywhere. In my experience Verizon has the best signal out of all of them.. while unfortunately being the most expensive.

8. maczter

can you hear me now?

i only know two people that use verizon. the rest are pretty evenly distributed between AT&T Wireless, Sprint and T-Mobile, with a couple of Nextel and Cingular users amongst them. The only complaints I've ever heard were from Sprint users.

9. SugarCoatedSour

SugarCoatedSour Active Member

I just started a FamilyTime Basic plan about a week ago, and I haven't had any problems with T-Mobile so far. I'm located in Chicago, and I get a good signal all the time. I just switched from Verizon, too. It just got way too expensive.

10. skooter

skooter Guest

Yea I work and go to school in Detroit and it is pretty much all Sprint users, there use to be a lot of nextel people here but since Ready Link pretty much everyone I know has switched and now they can get their walkie talkie from inside buildings. ATT/Cingular service is not too great in the inner city, but I know a few people with T-Mobile and they seem to be happy with it.

11. MiseryIndex

MiseryIndex i never know why. i only know who. Moderator

i love the verizon service, even the cell phone place i deal with said at&t gsm was a horrible signal. but i'm paying $80/mo after taxes & all that. plus i could use a new phone anyway.

12. Phil02E46

Phil02E46 mystash.org

tmobile is gsm just like at&t so if you are trying to stay away from gsm :dunno:

13. Fish1856

Fish1856 New Member

I'm with verizon now. Switching to tmobile at the end of the month. I'm tired of all the crap phones (don't make many calls, so I like bells and whistles). And the whole 710 bluetooth really pissed me off. Coverage was good, but i realized i don't travel all that much and Tmobile is strong in chicago so i shouldn't have any problems

14. turbodeuce

turbodeuce ....................

lol. last time i checked att has their own gsm network as well as a roaming agreement with cingular/tmobiel (exact same network if you didn't know). So if att can use their own network and tmobile's, but tmobile can only run on cingular's network.. how is it better?

15. oakie

oakie my ninja.

you are mistaken...

AT&T is owned by SBC, which owns Cingular. Both AT&T and Cingular use the 850, 1800 and 1900 MHz GSM bands. T-Mobile uses 900 and 1900 only.

in some california and nevada areas, T-Mo and Cingular have a shared network agreement... remote areas that both have some towers in, but neither want to expand their towers so they share coverage.

so no... AT&T share their GSM 850 EDGE network, but T-Mobile does not as they dont use 850 technology.

16. turbodeuce

turbodeuce ....................

actually the merger has not gone through yet. So at&t is not owned by sbc. Tmobile does not use 900mhz, that's not even a US frequency. 900 and 1800 are only international frequencies and no company in the states uses either. Selling a phone that runs on either is entirely different. Edge is not a technology that runs only on 850mhz. Edge has been around long before AT&T used 850 (which is only in the past 4-5 months).

but you are right about the western regions. Cingular actually just sold its western region network to tmobile, although they still have a roaming agreement through '07 so there wont' be any change in coverage.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2004