Im thinking of running a 5k race

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by killerZees, Jun 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. killerZees

killerZees OT Supporter

what should my mile time be. Right now I believe Im at about 24 - 25 minutes for the whole race. :coolugh:

2. ACURA TL-S

ACURA TL-S OT Supporter

Do whatever you can do. Just like a marathon, I would say in your first race just run at what you are comfortable doing and then improve on that in future races. I have ran a 5k, but because I am a slow, fat guy, it took me just under 30 minutes for the whole thing, so dont be embarassed if your time isn't as good as some of the others because there will likely always be someone slower.

3. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

25 is pretty decent for a beginer, how long have you been running and whats your training scheduale look like?

4. FredBull

FredBull *******

####___####___####___###_ #_______#__#___#_______#
    i did 3 km in 12 minutes two weeks ago and died afterwards

5. toconnx

toconnx New Member

A 24 - 25 minute 5k should translate into roughly a 6 minute mile. My PB's were around 4:55 for the mile and 19:47 for the 5k to give you an idea :dunno: That said I was more of a mid-distance runner than a long-distance runner.

Just have fun with it, don't expect to whoop ass your first time out, best of luck :bigthumb:

6. killerZees

killerZees OT Supporter

yeah I run about an 8 minute mile. My training schedule is I run three days a week, lift three days a week. For running I do day 1) 5.5 mile jog in the sand about 9.5 miles per mnute. Day 2) run 8 minute miles on track for 3.5 miles. Day 3) run on tred mill for 30 minutes at incline 2% at 3 minutes at 10 minute miles 1 at 8 etc.

7. call me mick

call me mick New Member

If your goal is to improve your 5k time you need to add in some speed work as well. In high school we called it pace work. Do some 400, 800, and mile repeats at a set pace to improve speed and endurance. Say you want to run a 7 minute mile for the whole thing. Try starting out with maybe 4-5 800 repeats at a 3:20-3:30 pace, or 8 400's at 90ish, and 2-3 mile repeats at 8:00-8:30. And after you run the sprint part of the run do some light jogging to keep your heartrate up and stay loose. DO NOT STOP COMPLETELY. Then on your distance days try and keep a slightly slower pace than your speed workout just make sure you don't stop.

Edit: I might want to actually answer the question. If you're talking about your mile splits for the race you can try to keep and even split with 8 minute miles but it's hard because everyone takes off very fast at first usually. If you're talking about a single mile I would guess around 7:00 if you can run a 24-25 minute 5k. Then again some people are better at sprints than long distance.

8. killerZees

killerZees OT Supporter

can you do this on a tred mill?

9. JustBlazin

JustBlazin Ironic Punishment

i've seen some new treadmills will those types of manual programs but most don't have them.

i just did a nike 10km run a couple weeks ago, in 58:58. pretty happy about that considering i have no formal running experience and wasn't really training that hard.

10. JustBlazin

JustBlazin Ironic Punishment

11. 1.8t

1.8t Member

18:33 is my PR for 3 miles on the track. I will be entering a local 5k to see how I stack up against all the fast people. I have been running 3~5 days a week for the past 2yrs only has a hobbie/to help cut. I expect to get smoked, but I would expect to smoke all of them at any of the big 3 :).

12. call me mick

call me mick New Member

I would assume so if you have a fast treadmill. The treadmills I've run on before have a setting that tells you the pace of a mile you're running.

13. AznRyda

AznRyda キモかわいい!

You guys run fast/far. I feel out of shape. :o

14. warm

warm Capitalism ftw

good luck, mang :cool:

i'm training for a 10k :hsd:

15. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

I've ran 3 miles on hills in around 27 so yeah that should be fine

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.