A&P Im thinking of entering Wedding photography

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by SenenCito, Jul 9, 2007.

1. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

it seems like I may have to go this step, I want to make more money of photography but fashion photography ( which I love btw) is simply not generating enough money for me..I considered quitting for a while..but damn i just feel too comfortable with a camera in my hand.

So Ive been asked a lot of times to do cover weddings and I know im capable for that..but I also have some moral dilema since I know a few wedding photographers and would be entering their market..so I ask the experienced wedding photogs here.

How is living as a wedding photographer, do you make a living of this?

2. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

i'd shoot as an assistant first to get the feeling for it. shooting a wedding is a whole new beast and would suck to screw up your first go-round

3. mojito

mojito New Member

it can be really really good. very little work, very high pay days. it can definetly be stressful and deailing with brides is very different than a model. But my advice for you is different than someone from my own city, as competition and opportunities are completely different too. I think you have a unique in with the travel industry as many destination weddings are down there.

First step is to join OSP (opensourcephoto) run by David Jay. Awesome guy and one of the best in the biz, business wise anyways.

I'd contact Bella Photography to see if you can get in with them for a while. They set everything up, pair you with couples, send you memory. you shoot then sent the cards back. they take care of the rest. at first you would assist/2nd shoot, then eventually be the primary. you get to pick the dates, and even when you are on your own, you can fill in dates as needed.

4. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

wow awesome advice thanks

now I wonder if Bella Photography runs here in PR
    I know there's an association of wedding photographers, but that isnt really something to be taken seriously, from my perspective they dont offer much in the way of opportunities.

Ive already created some name, especially amongst the 18-35 crowd and Ive already shot two weddings as the dreaded favor for close friends (so much damn work). Already said no to like 3 other weddings..but im starting to think im simply losing opportunities..

From my experience covering weddings is similar to covering events ( which ive done a lot) just with more predictable events happenning.

5. mojito

mojito New Member

I'd call Bella atleast, I'm not sure if they are down there or not, but they're always expanding so even if they aren't now, they may be soon :cool:

getting to know your competition is good. that way is someone is already booked, they can reccommend you.

like anything else, referals are the way to go. in theory, you can get away from advertising and bridal shows etc once you start to see a steady stream of referals.

if there are some big catholic churches (thats teh majority down there right?) I would see if you can do a couple low budget ones there and become the guy the church wedding planner would reccomend. Speaking of which those are good people to take out for lunch and see if you can become their guy.

Opensourcephoto Forum is definetly the best place for info. DWF is ok but charges money. FM went to the shitter. OSP has the likes of David Jay, Gary Fing, Becker, Jessica Claire the Nudds, David Beckstead etc, and they will all give you good info, program or workshop reviews, referals etc

6. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

you are correct, most are big catholic church weddings

fantastic info thanks a lot..

I was just asked to shoot yet another one....lol

7. ( * )( * )

( * )( * ) OT Supporter

I say go for it. See if you can tag along with an established photographer in your area to get a feel for it. You got the talent and the people skills, I'm sure you'd do well.