I'm thinking of buying a bike...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by IslanderOffRoad, Feb 25, 2005.

1. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

After it took me 2 hours to get to school today, I'm really getting fed up with the commute. I love driving the Mustang but I'm not so much "driving" it anymore as I am sitting in it on the 405.

I'm starting to think I want to get a motorcycle to ride to school. I don't need a powerful crotch rocket, I just want something with decent mileage to get me from A to B faster than a car can in this town. Basically I want to lane share.

What do you guys reccomend for a starter bike? I've never ridden before, and I'm looking to spend under $3000. I was looking at Suzuki GZ250's, I like the classic styling a bit better than a sportbike style, and they seemed to be cheap and are advertised as first timer friendly bikes.

What do you guys think, am I nuts for wanting to buy one?

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

u should be able to get get a 250 for cheap, check around on other bikes and try to get something that is rated good for comfort and fuel mileage.

3. 98formyws6

98formyws6 New Member

405? is that the one to willimington/LAX area, that freeway is pretty narrow to split lanes (well for me) can you pick an alternative route? a lot of people will say don't get the 250 because it's too slow, it'll get you to 100, i say don't get the 250 because it's a bad freeway bike (feels unstable at high speed because it's so light) try a ex500 or gs500 (honesty never rode either) i had a sv650 and i wouldn't say thats a good newbie bike because of the down low torque and i didn't really like the massive engine breaking when you eased off the throttle (can be somewhat smoothed out w/ a tre mod or rejett if you get a 1st gen) if you chose the sv650 make sure you are damn well comfortable on the streets w/ it before taking it on the narrow 405

edit- i see you want a "cruiser" look, early model gs500 should fit the bill (looks and price) good luck

4. ragnarok

ragnarok nuclear launch detected

suzuki sv650

5. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

Only alternate routes are canyons. And they're both washed out from the rain right now.

6. chakup

chakup Guest

Sv650 is a good bike. You can easily grow into it but not outgrow it. Unless you are very small I would at least look at an ex505, gs500(or is it 550?), or something along the lines of a yzf600 or katana. Also take an MSF course.

saw the cruiser thing, look at Buells as well I guess.

7. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

If you want a cruiser type bike, look at the VLX600 from Honda or the V-Star 650 from Yamaha...

That Suzuki is about a half a notch above a scoooter.

8. 86 Bird

86 Bird eh

or what Nolafun said the vlx600 or v-star

9. Ronin

Ronin Guest

hmm would a cruiser be really whats best for the situation? what about a naked bike?

A 500cc class bike would probably fit his needs, I'd say something like a Suzuki GS500. They're not too powerful but they're still probably gonna be quicker than most average cars and with a top speed of around, uhh, i think its 110ish and fuel mileage reported around 45+ (i heard a review where a guy said he got 90). You really cant lose.

10. 98formyws6

98formyws6 New Member

out here in socal you can't buy a used sv650 for under 3k, maybe a salvage title
    about 3500 should get a good used naked, a bit more for the 's'

11. Lurker111

Lurker111 New Member

Suzuki S40. Light (350lbs) 650cc cruiser. It is only about 40lbs heavier than the 250.

If you can handle a heavier bike go for the v-star (470+ lbs) or a Vulcan 500 (440lbs).

12. mitsuguy16

mitsuguy16 New Member

i would say no to 250 for long highway commute... i feel its more of a local, backroads bike

13. gixxerfast

gixxerfast Guest

Great statement.

Someone else pointed out that you won't get one under $3K, which is true. Spend the extra and get a bike that won't leave you wishing you'd bought something else.

14. Bret The Ripper

Bret The Ripper I

:werd: I have yet to ride an SV, but i want too. For me I find the twins a lot easier to ride over I4's. And everyone raves about this SV650. The naked bikes are hawt right now.

I would look for a naked something, whatever you choose. Cheap, comfy, easy to ride.

15. HardTech

HardTech hungry

16. 98formyws6

98formyws6 New Member

check out www.socalsvirders.org they got a few on sale right now in the classifieds from the board members and theyre all in socal (most of em)

17. noxxs

noxxs New Member

buy mine : thread here

i'll be forever grateful. $1200/obo