SRS I'm thinking about turning my life upside down

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Swedish Boost, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Swedish Boost

Swedish Boost New Member

I'm in my fourth year of college but have another year left after this one. I'm struggling in all of my classes. I dread waking up every day to go to class. I don't want to be a desk jockey for the rest of my life but that seems to be the path of college graduates.

My social life is very limited. In college you're suppose to meet a tons of people. I see college couples being affectionate to one another; It makes my stomach turn. I have this huge mean bastard shield I put up so I seem to scare everyone away. My aggression seems to do the same thing.

I've been thinking about moving out West and find a job somewhere. I don't know how I would support myself. I'm tired of my current situation and want out now.

2. 97_ESi

97_ESi New Member

Sound like me.

I'm in fourth year university and struggling. Not planning on going back this fall and need a job. Completely sick of university. I'm extremely lost in life and don't know what I want to do for a future. I'm also the youngest and my other siblings have VERY established careers. It sucks :(

I feel for ya :hug:

3. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

Hate to tell you this, but a lot of your problems sound like they are based on internal things rather than external. In short...I would not be surprised that moving would make things better for a little while, but then things would turn out the way they are now.

Work on yourself first. You say that "you are supposed to meet tons of people in college". Yes, you have the opportunity to, but you have to put some effort in it. What are YOU doing to encourage the process of meeting people?

You say you have a mean bastard shield and aggression. What are you doing to work on these issues?

4. mrchina

mrchina Guest

Maybe you just don't like where you are? Why not enroll in a community college back home and re-think what kind of school YOU want to go to. It makes no sense to stay at your school, even for a year, if you hate everything about it.

Not all college educated people sit behind a desk all day... You could quit college right now and make $35/hour doing construction to start if you find the right gig... but you're going to wake up hurting every morning. If you want more money, hence college education, there is always more paperwork involved, more responsibility so to speak.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2007
  5. Swedish Boost

Swedish Boost New Member

I already got my AA from a CC but that's not the point. I want to disappear from this here and go some place where the weather is nice year around.

With people I can't find a balance. Either I'm weak and passive around them or I'm really aggressive. One of my female co-workers at my part time job here said, "Every time I see you, you look so sad." What the hell. I think I just have a neutral expression all of the time. I'm a social idiot.

6. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Nope, finish what you start. You need to give a serious swing into your mentality if you want to succeed in class. In order to succeed your class you need to gather the content that is needed in order to pass, to do this you need to be like a drilled robot and study till you constant on a long term base manage to get good grades. Life isn't about what you want, more about doing what needs to be done. Negativity leads to nowhere , putting this shield around you has made your emotions safe for others, but has also put you into isolation. The same will happen abroad because you carry your shield with you.

You need to be like a castle gate closing yourself to bad people/things/events, and open yourself up to good people/things/events, if you let the enemy into your castle they will only end up destroying it(even if its family), and leaving you crying over the ruins.From there you can keep on crying, or rebuild your life, i advice you to rebuild your life.

Life Is more of a test to challenge your abilities... set a goal and see if you can achieve it.pick a skill & stick to it. The transitions between switching skills add up to a huge waste of time. don’t get bored and be too stubborn when it comes to achieving goals you set for yourself. Same thing , set challenges for yourself. severely hate having things incomplete.Enjoy and have fun mainly in the constructive things you do. Set challenges for yourself and test your limits. It might even relax you.Make sure they are possible from a practical standpoint because impossible ambitions tend to disintegrate in the face of reality.

There is no failure except in no longer trying.There is no honour in giving up. There is no defeat except from within, no really insurmountable barrier save our inherent weakness of purpose.

Don't blame your parents. Don't blame god. You are responsible for who you are. If you want to change who you are, fucking do it. Blaming your genes or your invisible friend and continuing to live the lifestyle you hate will get you nowhere. Accept that you dug the hole you are in, now you've gotta pull yourself out of it if that is indeed what you want to do.

Persistance is the key to succes
    While Lazyness is the cause of failures.

Life is like a tool or hammer, you either use it to build your life in the best possible way, or you lay that tool down and do nothing. Of course you should do the best to build your life into all you can, because in the end you will grade and look back on your own life and when that happens you want to look back on good results instead of bad.So always continue on to Build the best life. Like to tackle things and be activly a part of life.

If you don't want to be lonely you have to step towards the right people. And in order to escape a path of loneliness, you have no choice but to work hard and make your own path.

Do not expect leperchauns to appear and solve your issues, do not wait, be the dictator of your own life and take the situation in your own hands.

7. ///M Pilot

///M Pilot New Member

Truer words have never been spoken.

The confidence and pride that come along with achieving a long term goal are phenomenal.

8. 604Striker

604Striker New Member

Darketernal:
    Hey man, I read your post, and I must say, I'm impressed by the generosity of your advice and your outlook on life. I certainly hope that you live by the words you speak; that your actions back up your words; cause if they do you are probably tearing through life. Thats pretty cool.

Life can complicated, and there's no real handbook on dealing with challenges. We've just got to learn from experiences, and the guidance and experiences of others.

I totally agreed with your advice that OPs problems seem to come from within. I moved away from my hometown when I was 22. It was a GREAT change of atmosphere for me. I got to break away from a circle of people that I felt trapped with. But the truth is, after a year of that initial excitement, alot of the negative feelings I was trying to escape were still there or had come back. I couldn't run away from who I was.

OP, as far as your social life, things won't fall in your lap man. I had the same problems in university. I met an intial group of friends, but after that my friends didn't communicate with others outside our group, which limited me meeting new friends. You have to make an effort and create opportunities. Try meeting people by being in new settings. New partime job, intramural sports team, clubs, boxing gym, yoga. Make an effort.

9. 604Striker

604Striker New Member

Darketernal:
    Hey man, I read your post, and I must say, I'm impressed by the generosity of your advice and your outlook on life. I certainly hope that you live by the words you speak; that your actions back up your words; cause if they do you are probably tearing through life. Thats pretty cool.

Life can complicated, and there's no real handbook on dealing with challenges. We've just got to learn from experiences, and the guidance and experiences of others.

I totally agreed with your advice that OPs problems seem to come from within. I moved away from my hometown when I was 22. It was a GREAT change of atmosphere for me. I got to break away from a circle of people that I felt trapped with. But the truth is, after a year of that initial excitement, alot of the negative feelings I was trying to escape were still there or had come back. I couldn't run away from who I was.

OP, as far as your social life, things won't fall in your lap man. I had the same problems in university. I met an initial group of friends, but after that my friends didn't communicate with others outside our group, which limited me meeting new friends. You have to make an effort and create opportunities. Try meeting people by being in new settings. New parttime job, intramural sports team, clubs, boxing gym, yoga. Make an effort.

10. Swedish Boost

Swedish Boost New Member

So, five weeks have past and I'm in one of my super moody swings as always. I do realize that it's all my fault that I'm lonely but I have no real desire to break out of my shell.

I have been working on my eye contact with men and women. It's very hard for me. I tend to mumble which only makes matters worse. Also I have been trying to smile at women around campus but that hasn't been well received. Small steps...

Right now I have the desire to drop out and go somewhere far away so I can leave my old self behind. You tell me that it will catch up with me but I can run forever.

Perhaps I need a break from this place since all I do is complain and drag my threads on for months...like this one.

11. BlueLine

BlueLine Guest

I feel your pain man, I have self sabotaged myself numerous times in every field and aspect. From literally supermodels to school, family and life. So far my best encouragement has been reading great information such as Nietzsche's Thus Spracht Zarathustra and envisioning the lives of polymaths such as Leonardo Da Vinci and Archimedes. While I am in a similar rut than you there has to be a breaking point where evrything in your life needs to get better and change.