MMA I'm thinking about quitting grappling

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Mejnoon, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

:wtc:

I got a single spot of ringworm on my face. First showed up like 6 weeks ago, took me a couple days to realize what it was. I started using Lamisil on it...looked way worse and not really like ringworm after a week, so I went to the doctor. Found out it had become staph. Four doctors visits and like 5 prescriptions later, theres still a fucked up looking spot on my face. It seems like its getting better on the latest course of antibiotics, but I've only got two days left and I'm pretty sure it won't be gone completely by then. I'll probably go back to the doc tomorrow.

I've had to change my sheets nightly...can't do much at all fitness-wise(I'm supposed to avoid sweating:rolleyes: )...not to mention walking around with kind of a gnarly looking rash on my face for what seems like a ridiculously long time...its fucking with my life bigtime.

I'm going crazy not being able to do anything...I can't wait to get back to training...but I'm seriously afraid that this might happen again.

I'd been going to all the kickboxing and mma classes offered by my dojo. I'm seriously considering not going to the mma class anymore. I don't want to quit I'm just afraid:noes:

Sorry for writing a dissertation I'm just stressed out and frustrated and I needed to vent...

2. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

http://www.dickpondathletics.com/product-details.asp?ID=3426

I got some, I always clean myself after every match during a wrestling tournament. Or I will usually clean myself right after a practice.

By cleaning, I hit the vital spots that matter the most to me, arms, chest area, back and front of neck and ear, face, and legs.

They have a bigger bottle but go for the smaller one, the bigger bottle has a poor cap on it and during shipping, almost half of my wipes went dry because of the cap.

Be prepared!

3. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

quitting grappling because you got ringworm once? :ugh:

just get some lamisil spray, forget about prescriptions. spray it four or five times a day. It will go away fast. I've probably had 80 cases of ringworm. None have lasted longer than a week. I try not to be rude to people, but thats a really stupid reason to quit such a great sport.

4. VulgarTheClown

VulgarTheClown A child and a gun.....go together like apple pie a

Shit i just had 4 ring worms on my arms the other week.

I did 3 days a of beach and 4 days of cream and they are gone, unfortunately I have bleach burns.

I wouldn't sugest it really less you don't care about scarring.

as for avoiding ring worm, every time you train as soon as yo uget off the mat, hit the shower (if your gym has one) and wash man, wash wash wash. get some of those wipes or something.

ring worm can be avoided, don't fret.

5. Placebo

Placebo New Member

. to what these guys said.

It's a really stupid reason to quit. It's common and easy to prevent/get rid of.

6. deadbolt

deadbolt New Member

mejnoon, similar thing happened to me. when i used to grapple i got a staph infection on my knee. it looked like a big nasty boil filled with blood and puss. i went to the doctor and they diagnosed me with staph after some testing. i had to put my knee in a whirpool tank and have the wound filled with packing for over a week.

i believe it started from a mat burn that i got while grappling. apparently they dont clean their mats enough.

7. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

How do you get ringworm? Is it simply an infection you get from other peoples bodily stuff or something? Sounds nasty.

8. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

werd, yeah we clean our mats

9. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

just bacteria in general i believe. you can get ringworm by walking around barefoot outside even

10. Titus

Titus New Member

ringworn is a fungus. just get some bleach and put it on a qtip and rub it on the spot. then use lamisil spray whenever you think about itching. it will go away fast. getting ringworm is so reason to stop doing something so enjoyable, it's so easy to treat.

11. chechen

its a fungus you get from leaving sweat on your body a long time. athlete's foot is just ringworm in between the toes

12. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

or as my old instructor told me to do... you get a spoon and heat it up with a flame. Then burn the ringworm off :wtc:

13. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

Ack... i'm lucky and havnt had that shit yet... i hope i dont

14. Placebo

Placebo New Member

I had it back when I wrestled in middle school, but I got it treated the next day.

15. Titus

Titus New Member

hang out on the mats long enough and you're bound to get it...

16. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

I guess some of you didn't read the whole thing...its not the ringworm that bothers me, thats no big deal...its the big gnarly rash thats been covering half my face for a month...I've been cancelling appointments with clients and shit, its a little more serious than ringworm.

Oh, and between the doctors visits and prescriptions this has cost me over $400 already...and its not gone

17. chechen

well thats just a freak thing. i dont think it should be happening to you on a regular basis.

18. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

I know that, I was just kinda freakin out the other day...its taking so long to shake this thing, I was looking in the mirror thinking to myself "I'm never gonna get laid again.":noes:

I'm not gonna quit. I'd always regret it if I did, and I'd probably go back at some point anyway.

19. DerekForeal

DerekForeal Diamond Member

Bumping this old thread since I think I might have ringworm. lol

Is it worth making a doctors appointment if im already fairly convinced its ringworm? Showed up yesterday, so I figured I would give it a day to go away but it didnt. What is this lamisil spray, can you get it at a drugstore? or ?

20. Bruised Lee

Bruised Lee John Kune Do, puncher of faces

i would like to take this opportunity to remind all you mofos to keep up your good hygiene. nothing worse than grappling with dirty ass mofo. for god sakes use a luffa or something.

21. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

If you're sure its ringworm don't bother just use lamisil cream, its over the counter...if it starts looking different though, more like a rash and less like a single contained sore, for the love of god go to the doctor. You do NOT want to go through what I've experienced over the last 2 months, its still not completely gone...went to the dermatologist yesterday, that was my 6th or 7th doctor visit...hopefully I can start grappling again next week:x:

22. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

everybody, please shower right after you come home from training :hs:

23. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

Our club actually wipes the mats down with bleach after every class... could be why no one there has had it since I've been there.

24. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

yes kids, clean your fucking mats

25. DerekForeal

DerekForeal Diamond Member

yeah. i've had lamisil on it for like 2 days now. and it looks like its working nicely as you can barely tell anymore.

and yeah, it kind of pisses me off because i know our mats are cleaned very infrequently. not to mention the dudes that never was their gi's / sigh.

how long should i wait after its gone to grapple again?