I'm thinking about picking up an ibook, but I have a few questions...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by lordcoca, Aug 3, 2004.

1. lordcoca

lordcoca Wading in the Velvet Sea

I'm heading off to college and I'm looking for a cheap, light laptop to take with me. I'm considering picking up an ibook, specifically, the 12" 1 ghz G4 :hs: But I've got a few questions about it first.

First of all, how difficult is it to share files between an ibook and a PC? Say I wrote a paper, and needed to transfer it to PC, could I just transfer it through a usb flash drive? Or via e-mail? Would the files be compatable with a PC? Are MS Office Mac files compatable with MS Office for the PC? Also, is it true that I can use the iPod as a portable hard drive? Cause if it is, I may use that to transfer files.

Secondly, how much punishment can an ibook take? I'll probably be careful with it, but odds are it's going to take a few falls, and maybe some spilled drinks and food :hs:

Thirdly, how does the performance compare to a PC? Say we were comparing it to a 2 ghz Pentium 4? Is the ibook on par with the PC? What sort of PC would perform the same as this 1ghz G4 ibook? I really don't know much about how Mac specs affect it's performance :hs:

All I really want is a nice, simple, affordable laptop. Something that'll let do some word processing, while surfing the internet, running aim and listening to music all at the same time :) Can I get this out of the ibook?

2. ez4me2c3d

ez4me2c3d Guest

Sharing is a breeze via cat5 crossover or through a router. I haven't tried any other means, like say firewire or something. and yes the flash drive would work, it's not windows based so you could easily take files from the flash drive or put them on. e-mail ofcourse would work as well.

Office vX (theres also a newer one) is 100% compatable with office on windows (ie 2000, XP).

Not sure on the iPod though it sounds realistic. you can do that with flash based mp3 players so i dont see why not an iPod.

Wow, if you are planning on dropping it and spilling food and drink on it, then maybe you should plan on buying a new one next year anyways. In the 6 months or so that i've had mine the worst it's seen is a toss on the couch, so i can't speak much for rough and tough. Thgouh as with any computer, don't bang it around while the HDD is spinning.

The new 12" iBook (like mine) is pretty decent on performance. I mean I didn't buy this laptop to do gaming or render 10 hours of 3DMax, for that I would have gotten a powerbook. anywho, its comparable to my 1.6 GHz AMD cpu, if not a little better. Truth is, i have more ram in my laptop than my PC to that isn't fair to the PC.

And you last question is answered with a yes. the iBook is plenty for what you are looking for. And with a student discount at under $1k, you can't go wrong.

iBook G4 1GHz
    768MB DDR Ram
    30GB HDD
    CD-RW/DVD-Rom
    AirPort Extreme Card

Plus I got a free printer and free shipping.

3. lordcoca

Wow, thanks for the detailed answer - I appreciate it. It puts me more at ease about getting an ibook :hs:

How much RAM is recommended for what I plan on doing? It comes with 256, should I consider upgrading it, or is it unnecessary?

4. lordcoca

Also, say I wanted to connect the ibook to my home network - would it be as simple as getting the wireless card for the ibook and connecting it like that? I'm using a Microsoft Wireless G system by the way, is it compatable? :hs:

5. lordcoca

The keyboard on the ibook is full sized, right?

6. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

the wireless should work fine.

7. maczter

• Built-in full-size keyboard with 77 (U.S.) or 78 (ISO) keys, including 12 function keys, 4 arrow keys (inverted “T” arrangement) and embedded numeric keypad

8. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

AS far as weight the ibook is as light as anything. To give you an idea. If your hands are wet and your holding your ibook down while closed you would easily be able to hold it even when someone came by and bumped the comp.

9. lordcoca

:rofl: Nice example :bigthumb:

But it's good to know it'll be light, I don't know how much I'll carry it around, but it's good to have the option :)

10. lordcoca

Great, and it's good to know it's got a full sized keyboard. I do a lot of word processing so that was a major concern for me :)

11. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

:hs: microsoft routers are notoriously proprietary pieces of hardware, but it'll probably work.

12. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

actually I kinda take back what I said, as long as the router is reasonably standards-compliant there shouldn't be a problem. Never repeat something that a CompUSA networking guy tells you about hardware :hs:

That said if I had a choice of routers, MS would be at the bottom of the list, but I know you gotta work with what you have.

13. lordcoca

Can Macs run Wordpad, or do they have a program similar to wordpad that I could use? I <3 Wordpad, and I don't want to lose it if I make the switch :hs:

14. maczter

not wordpad proper, but there a billion apps like it available for OS X.

15. MP

MP New Member

I got the same set up as you for school.

12"
    bla bla

it's a great laptop. I definitly suggest stickin in a 512 stick to bump it up to 640mb or so. Big jump in performance. All the mac tools that come with it are friggin awesome for projects / papers / etc.

it's light, powerfull, looks sessy!! not to expensive.

I :love: my iBook

ps. you get a 10% discount cuz yer a student :big grin:

16. lordcoca

Do I need to get different RAM for ibooks, or is it the same as what would go into a PC? What type of RAM does the ibook take?

17. maczter

Memory (DDR SDRAM) 256MB PC2100 (266MHz); 1.25GB maximum; 1 available expansion slot

http://www.apple.com/ibook/specs.html

(And it's usually much cheaper to buy it from someone besides Apple).

18. MP

MP New Member

i just got regular laptop ram from a local comp. store (fry's). it's about 40% cheaper than directly from apple.

really easy to install yourself.

just as a heads up I got this kind>...

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-144-805&depa=0

Giel Goldenn dragon 512mb stick. It's awesome ram and works perfectly in my iBook. Hope that helps a little bit because iBooks have been known to bitch at certain types of ram.

19. marxwa99

marxwa99 Boom Squad

i became a mac lover once i got my 12in ibook. I love it a lot. Buying a mac is like sex with black man...once you go with it, you can never go back :hs:

But seriously, i do lots of typing and i got used to the keyboard very quickly. I'd recommend getting a usb mouse though and turning off the mousepad built in under the keyboard when it's plugged in. Wireless is easy. It runs fast and best of all, no blue screen of death!

20. lordcoca

How long is it gonna take me to get used to using a Mac? I haven't used one since I was in elementary school, and I'm sure they've changed a bit since then :hs:

Also, I've heard I can use a mouse with two buttons on Macs, would it work the same as a two buttoned mouse on Windows or what? And would the scroll button work as well?

21. Icedog

Icedog New Member

Same goes for Best Buy :o

22. maczter

they've changed a lot.

you can use any USB multi-button mouse that has the OS X logo on the box. most will work fine without even installing any drivers.

23. lordcoca

I heard Macs weren't too good at multitasking, like running Firefox, Word, iTunes, instant messenger? Is that true at all?

24. MP

MP New Member

quite the opposite if you ask me. I'm never running less then 3 apps at the same time on my iBook.

25. maczter