MIL I'm thinking about joining ...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Elusion, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Elusion

Elusion New Member

I'm getting my phD in Chemistry and I was thinking about Joining the Navy after that. I know of this one guy who did the same thing and he likes it I hear. And I heard it's a bit different that 'normal'.
    Does anybody know any specifics? Or advice?
    Thanks.

2. smokie700

smokie700 right near da beach, Boiiiii

Research.............Research.................research.............

your an educated guy so evalute your options and make the best informed choice.

I love the military it has gave me a comfortable life with a sense of duty. I recommend it to all but it is not a life for everyone.

3. Accord

Accord New Member

Mabye he wants to accelerate his life.

4. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

you have a college degree, which means you can be an officer. go that route, trust me. read through some of the links in the stickied Joining the military thread to find more info.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2005
  5. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

It could open a great deal of doors for your future in combination with your degree.

6. fintheman

fintheman I will ebay O/T!

Lol

Who says you have to "join" the Navy to work for them. If you are seriously getting a PhD, just apply for jobs near a Navy Base and start networking.

Believe it or not, there are LOTS of things you can do for the military without actually being in it.

Working for the government is better (imho) then actually being in.

You get all the perks of the military because you can get onto base + your still a civilian + you get paid more + You can quit anytime you want.

7. Accord

Accord New Member

My best friends girlfriend just graduated from NCSU this past summer with a mechanical engineering degree and moved to Charleston, SC (I think it was Charleston) to work for the navy as a civilian, she does some sort of thing that has to do with air filtration or some shit.

8. Elusion

Elusion New Member

Yeah, I'm thinking to make it a career. I've always wanted to be in the military and most of my family has had military service of some kind.

I know one can just work for the military as a civilian but I think I'd like to join.

9. Elusion

Elusion New Member

The guy I spoke of earlier is a biochemist and he said that one picks from a list of relevant(related to biochemistry) jobs. So I would imagine I'd do just about the same thing. He said the scientist are usually on base and not on ships. But I'm not adverse to going on a ship, although I'm sure my wife wouldn't like it too much.

10. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Threads like this work a lot better if you do some initial research and then come back and post specific/relevant questions.