I'm thinking about getting a bike. What should I get?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by pimpofthenation, Feb 14, 2002.

1. I got so sick of the question, I made a webpage. Feel free to sticky this....

http://www.streetlethalperformance.net/motorcycle.html

It's barebones right now, but I'll update it as I get time. Hopefully I can make a nice comprehensive learner page with good resources by spring. I'm just too busy with work right now...

2. mike1

mike1 Dance Bish

3. SBandit4

SBandit4 If shit hits the fan, just make sure you have a go

Please make a correction to your webpage, a gs500 is not a bandit. There was a bandit GSF400 sold, but the gs500 is not a bandit.

Pretty good page though.

4. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

5. TRD

TRD Guest

do u have any riding experience?? if u have had dirt bike riding experience i would recommend something like a YZF 600r, ZX-6 . One of the hot bikes newbies seem to get (this is from going to lots of other boards) is a sv650 only thing don't really like a v-twin and bike has no farings on it.. just not my kinda style

Now if u have had no riding experience i would recommend a ninja 250 or ninja 500 i would suggest u get the 500.. i owned a 250 found that it lacked power for me.. if u get a 500 which i have test road has way more punch and power very good newbie bike to learn on

Try to stay away from the R6,6R, Gixxer 600, R1,F4i i don't think they are really newbie friendly.

6. LiquidSmile

LiquidSmile I gotta go potty

I give the page
    :bigthumb: :bigthumb:

7. Hpower281

Hpower281 Guest

I beg to differ. I own a 2001 R6 and have found it just right for me for now. I have never owned a street bike before, just a dirt bike when i was a kid. As long as you can repect the bike and learn at your own pace, then you will get use to whatever you ride. I would just say stay away from the 1 liter bikes if you're a newbie. Those tend to get you in trouble a lot quicker.

8. You'll be dead in a year.

9. Platnum Toof

Platnum Toof Guest

Not neccesarily, at least he got a 600cc bike instead of a litre bike. I dont recommend the R6 at all for a first bike or any newer 600 at that outside of an SV or something similar. I have known people to survive with an R6 though. Although they do lack the control you learn with a smaller more newbie friendly bike.

Your page is pretty cool, one suggestion though. In the gear section you should add a "jacket" to minimum gear.

Nice job :)

10. Hpower281

Hpower281 Guest

sorry buddy, i'll post in a year and rub it in your face. Not everyone is the same and not everyone learns as slow as you do. :fawk: I've put 2500 miles on my R6 in 2 months. Those are winter months by the way. And I don't drive it to work. I have a car for that. It's all recreational riding. I'll put another 15,000 miles on the bike before i sell it for the :bowdown: R1.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

sorry buddy but HP isn't what kills people on bikes all the time, twitchy, unforgiving supersport bikes piloted by kiddies that dunno what to do mid corner when they're too fast and are going to run wide however do.
    but of course all noobs know more than the people with experience :rofl:

12. Hpower281

Hpower281 Guest

i forgot, you ride with me all the time. I forgot, you can see the future. BTW, I'm no kiddy. I was in the service. Can't believed I volunteered to protect ppl like you.

Its funny, ppl always tell me sh*t like this. When I put :bowdown: NOS on my car...everyone said...NO NO, you'll blow the motor. I been spraying for 2 years now on a stock block civic....91k miles on the odometer and it still runs like new. Y? because I have repect for it. Just as I do for bikes....So don't tell me I WILL drop my bike or I WILL be dead in a year, cuz I WILL prove you wrong. :fawk:

Oh, btw...I mentioned I on a previous post I had a dirt bike when I was a kid. This was the bike I learned on. I failed to mention it was a 1978 Suzuki RM400. Old school, straight up power. Kick start ripped a hole in my shoe. Dayam 2 strokes. If I can handle that bike at 13 yrs old, I think the R6 is cake.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

BAHAHAHA

dirt experience is great, you can learn a lot in the dirt, but it's not street experience.

Why don't ya head on over to www.sportbikes.net and tell them about your R6 :big grin: see what they have to say.

Oh and ask why your insurance costs so much ;)

14. Hpower281

Hpower281 Guest

Been over to sportbikes.net already. Not too many ppl post there. You're right about dirt...its not the same, just have to adapt. Alot more sh*t can happen on the streets. Alot of variables (traffic, debri, etc). All this I know just as I know my limits. Respect speed, master control. Some ppl can't ride, others act stupid, and a few have natural ability. As for the insurance crack - I pay $804 a year for FULL COVERAGE w/ $250 deductable. Probably cheaper than yours! haha! You done running your mouth? lol. Like I said, I'll post in a year with a pic of my R6 before I get rid of it and a pic of the new R1 I plan to buy. :OP:

15. Guest

Guest Guest

BAHAHA not many people post over at SBN huh?
    how come there's 325 active users right now?

why don't you come run with the big boys and ask them how good an r6 is for a first bike, since you know it all :big grin:

BTW, I insure a brand new, italian 1000cc v twin for 250 a year. ;)
    500$ deduct, because I don't throw my bikes down like some people.
    the most expensive insurance I could get runs me 1200 a year, on a 600cc the same coverage that runs 1200 on a 1000cc ran less than 35$ a month. You do the math ;)

16. Hpower281

Hpower281 Guest

Italian bikes are cheaper to insure than jap bikes....i thought everyone knew that. Haven't gone back to that site cuz nothing really caught my eye. I try and talk to local ppl on boards. Its informative, but too many ppl like you trying to tell everyone what to buy, instead of giving them the facts and letting them make their own choices. Oh, BTW...should have stuck with jap bikes mang. Italians cost alot to repair and maintain. Got 3 buds with Italians. Duc 748, Duc 998 Bostrom Replica, and Aprilla Mille. All very nice bikes...especially the Bostrom Replica (only 155 stateside). But not 2 weeks after my friend bought it....we were out in the boonies running hard. His tranny locked up...slipped into a false neutral between 5th and 6th. F*cked with it for hours....called the mechanic...he didnt know shit. Finally got the thing out of that kink....what a POS. Come time find out its been happening alot lately (on other ducs). Jap bikes got it locked down!

17. k27-R

k27-R gooood....goooood...

R6 for your first bike? :rolleyes: it's a good bike, but you could've made a much better choice for your first.

and no you're not a fucking exception :rolleyes:

18. Guest

Guest Guest

LOL OMG. Lets see, italian bikes cost more to buy, parts costs 2x more than jap bikes because people like you create a healthy use parts supply,
    oh and going from an R1 to an italian bike cost me a couple dollars a month more. Your logic is non-existant.

:rofl: who's running their mouth squid boy?

BTW was your friends alleged duc new or used?
    Because I doubt he broke it in within 2 weeks, and if he did, it wasn't done right. So whose fault would it be the "transmission locked up"? Which is odd, since I've NEVER heard of that happening.

19. Hpower281

Hpower281 Guest

you are running your mouth bitch. Lets look at logic for a minute... Jap bikes have more claim a year than any other bikes. More get stolen, more get wrecked therefore Jap bikes have a greater risk for insurance companies to insure them. It is a known fact. I can insure a 2001 Duc 748 for less than $700 a year. THAT IS LESS THAN MY R6. My friend bought his Bostrom Replica brand new, broke it in going to and from Texas World Speedway to watch the races every weekend. Since he just got a lawsuit settlement, he has plenty of riding time on his hands. NOW SHUT UR MOUTH. You obviously dont do research on italian bikes. They are about as reliable as a fucking cadillac. For someone who likes to force their opinnion on ppl you sure dont know shit about bikes. Come back when your ignorant ass has some valid information.

20. Guest

Guest Guest

:rofl: no facts so you resort to name calling?

jap bikes have more claims for 2 resons, #1 numbers - there are more jap bikes, #2 they're cheap, and morons such as yourself buy them, toss them down the first 6 months and let the insurance company pay for them. I'll add statistics to the list of things you know nothing about, it's up to two. No worries mate, you keep opening your mouth, so I'm sure more will come about.

regardless, YOU my friend are the one running your mouth. You're making the assumption that every insurance company prices based on the same guidlines - which they don't. Some companies price solely on the displacement of the bike, and not the origin or bike category, along with the driver's record. But I wouldn't expect you to understand that.

Seriously, go over to SBN and see how long your bullshit stands up, or better yet, actually read some facts and not your little squid friend's opinions, One friend fucks up his bike and all italian bikes are crap? no wonder ducati dominates at the track :rolleyes: come to think of it, my mom's lexus had a transmission go out, so I gues lexus cars are as reliable as cadilacs by your (so called) logic :wtc:

While I'm here, have you upgraded the fuel injection on your R6? How about synthetic blinker fluid? Hydrostatic defibulators? I hear synthetic muffler bearing grease is good for 5hp at the dyno. :rofl:

21. Hpower281

Hpower281 Guest

do i detect a bit of jealousy. Did you have your eye on a Bostrom Replica and some asshole bought it before you could get to the shop. Oh wait....gotta have money in the first place to be riding around on a new Duc 998. No I am not doggin Ducs just because of one weird incident. Which does happen alot by the way. Ask some of the guys who race Ducs out at Texas World Speedway. I did alot of research before i bought my bike. I actually looked into a Duc. They are beautiful bikes and have incredible balance. But I asked around, surfed the net. Most of the ppl who like Ducs only back up the good stuff cuz its thier fav. I talked with the mechanic at the shop my friend bought his bike from and he was raggin hard on Ducs. And even though my friend bought a new 998, he still says reliability is crap. Run hard at the track but they dont last like jap bikes. Constantly fuckin with something. Thats coming from Italian bike owner and mechanic. And thats just one example. I can sit here and argue with you til im blue in the face. But i'm just a newbie right?

Oh and I got ur defibulator. Actually have some sh*t on my bike you probably never seen. And I also have some sh*t u probably have seen.

done yet? lol

22. Guest

Guest Guest

:rofl: if I'd wanted a bostrom rep I'd have bought one, mind you yer the one on the 6k$ r6 here kiddo (until you toss it down) and I'm the one that just paid cash for a new aprilia, maybe you should know me before you run your mouth about me?

for every duc "mechanic" you claim to speak to, I can give you the email address of 5 aprilia owners that have over 20k trouble free miles on their bikes, your claims just have no basis.
    You probably don't even know where the engines are made.

23. mike1

mike1 Dance Bish

<----sits back:wavey: at Aviator goes to frig grabs:beer: Then watches Aciator:OP: on the noob bike rider.:big grin:

24. k27-R

:bigthumb:

25. k27-R

pot and kettle, anyone?

aprilia's do not = ducati of the past. aprilias never had any reliablity issues, and neither do any of the newer ducatis. they're just as reliable as their japanese counterparts these days. so it'syou that didn't do any research on todays bikes.....

oh wait, that was pretty obvious since you bought an R6 for your first bike. :fawk: