SRS I'm taking my first anti-psychotic tonight (Abilify)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Cronin, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Cronin

Cronin New Member

Here's what I have: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derealization

Here's what they're giving me for it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abilify

And wtf side effects :noes:

Common side effects: Headache, unusual tiredness or weakness, nausea, vomiting, an uncomfortable feeling in the stomach, constipation, light-headedness, trouble sleeping, restlessness, sleepiness, shaking, and blurred vision.

Uncommon side effects: Uncontrollable twitching or jerking movements, tremors and seizure. Some people may feel dizzy, especially when getting up from a lying or sitting position, or may experience a fast heart rate.

Rare side effects: Combination of fever, muscle stiffness, faster breathing, sweating, reduced consciousness, and sudden change in blood pressure and heart rate.

Very rare side effects: Allergic reaction (such as swelling in the mouth or throat, itching, rash), increased production of saliva, speech disorder, nervousness, agitation, fainting, reports of abnormal liver test values, inflammation of the pancreas, muscle pain, weakness, stiffness, or cramps.
    While taking aripiprazole, some elderly patients with dementia have suffered from stroke or 'mini' stroke. Some patients may experience high blood sugar, or the onset or worsening of diabetes.

2. FuzzyBunny

FuzzyBunny I Doubt It

I recently read an article on this drug with regards to an autistic boy who was prescribed it incorrectly. It had very very adverse mental health affects on him turning him temporarily into a catatonic schizophrenic(I looked briefly for the article but didn't find it again if u want it I'll look harder just pm me).

I wanna ask you a few questions for my own curiosity if you don't mind.
    What caused your derealization? Are you antisocial/spend alot of time on the computer/have a social disorder? Who diagnosed and then prescribed your medication?

Will you post a follow up of what you feel after you take the pill if your not supposed to sleep on it eg. from the point you take it till you begin to feel affects and onwards?

I ask because I've heard various things both positive and negative about abilify and wanted some more information on it for my own curiosity.

3. Cronin

Cronin New Member

Snap :noes:

No problem,

Right now my Doctors have several different theories. Lyme Disease is one (Currently on Biaxin and Plaquenil), presumptive severe chronic anxiety (I'm also taking Klonopin for that also for the first time tonight), possible early-stage of schizophrenia (I am also currently suffering from Visual Snow and prolonged After-Images), and/or currently hidden mental disorder aggravated by my excessive marijuana use.

I also experience confusion and go through phases of unusual thoughts which really bug me out but sometimes give me some good ideas for stories - I am a writer.

I currently suffer from severe fatigue which interferes with my driving, along with other things, and therefore I am currently unable to perform as my usual outgoing cheery self.

I have been ill for ten months now and before then I was the most energetic and outgoing person I knew.

I have not been diagnosed with any sort of social disorder.

I have received a clinical diagnosis of compatible lyme disease, however, beyond that I am going through some trial medications to "see what helps."

I have not been diagnosed with anything else but am currently acting on presumptive schizophrenia and chronic anxiety.

All in all, I have had no evidence gathered from labs or scans confirming any diagnosis I have received.

No problem. I'll jot some notes down when I begin tonight.

Best wishes

SC

4. Cronin

Cronin New Member

8:45P - Abilify 5MG

I am feeling fairly tired at the moment because I received little sleep last night. I also think the Klonopin I took several hours ago is contributing to the feeling. The derealization is heavy at the moment and am experience a fair amount of lightheadedness and dizziness. I have a horrible headache as well as pressure in my head and ears, I have pain around and behind the eyes, my vision is spinning and swirling in addition to the persistent Visual Snow, Afterimages, and smoke-like abstractions. I have tingling in my arms and legs and I have muscle spasms from head to toe... literally all over my body.

8:46P - Shower; Nothing yet.

9:00P - Begin late workout; Nothing yet.

9:20P - End late workout; sweating and farily dizzy, otherwise nothing yet.

9:40P - I am increasingly tired and yet am very relaxed. The feeling is similar to taking 10MG of Flexeril. Symptoms, however, persist.

10:00P - Afterimages seem to be getting worse, although they usually do when I'm tired so I'm not sure if it's the Abilify or not.

10:20P - Watching reruns of Big Brother 4. Dana just got evicted, that's good. My fingers ache.

10:40P - Feel as if I'm about to throw up. I'm going to keep a waste basket by the side of my bed while I sleep. I just took my antibiotics and another Klonopin so I'm about to hit the hay. When I stand I am incredibly dizzy.

I hope I feel better tomorrow :(

5. Liquid_Vitamins

Liquid_Vitamins New Member

Klonopin's not only used for anxiety, it's originally a drug for blood pressure so it can screw with your pressure which in turn can make you dizzy. Did you say you started Klonopin and Abilify at the same time? Just me but I'd wonder about asking about trying one at a time to figure out which effects are from which med.

6. FuzzyBunny

FuzzyBunny I Doubt It

Cool man thnx for the report I hope you can do another under more controlled circumstances. My cousin Will won Big brother 2 : p. Hope you feel better :\

7. superhoop

superhoop New Member

Do you have these problems all the time?

My Dr says I have Vertigo. I’m dizzy all the time or feel light headed. some times get really bad headaches. My ears always hurt, I feel pressure in them. I’ll feel better if I lay down for 15 to 20 minutes. It makes me feel like the blood has gone back to my head.

8. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I like reading drug usage reports :)

btw - hope you start feeling better.

9. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

:hug: Man, that really sucks. I have no advise for you, but I really hope you start feeling better soon. :hug:

Best of luck and Godspeed

10. Cronin

Cronin New Member

Will Kirby is your cousin!?? :rofl:

Will Kirby is my hero :bowdown:

He was effin' hilarious on BB7 :rofl:

11. Cronin

Cronin New Member

I was actually thinking about this as well but my Doctor wanted me to take both of these guys at once.

If I start feeling better I wonder if I'll be able to tell which med is countering the problem, if not both :dunno:

12. Cronin

Cronin New Member

Persistent symptoms: exhaustion, dizziness, lightheadedness, daily headaches, pressure in head, pain around and behind the eyes, eyes hurt worse in the light, spinning/swirling and static vision, prolonged light translated afterimages, visual fluxuating shape sensations, hearing ‘swooshing’ sounds, and…

Derealization – Everything around me seems less real as if I’m stoned or in a dreamlike state. Things seem hazy, cloudy, and hey feel like a movie. My senses seem dulled as if there is a thick plate of glass between my eyes and the outside world.

On and off: tingling in arms and legs, feelings of spinning and rolling, distraction, back pain, nausea, confusion, problems with balance, twitching.

I started feeling sick during July of 2006 in Farmington, NH. Major lifestyle changes during the time of falling ill included:

- Marijuana use
    - Hiking and camping
    - Drank town-banned water containing reported amounts of E. Coli.

Is your dizziness and/or lightheadedness persistent? Do you ever have at least one day when you feel normal? How long has this been going on?

13. Cronin

Cronin New Member

Thank you :hug:

14. Cronin

Cronin New Member

lol. I've had the hiccups now for about 15 hours strait!!! I think that's from the Abilify :noes:

Thanks dude.

15. Kirbys Autumn

Kirbys Autumn Mrs. Kirby McSpic

ditto. Good luck and hope you start feeling better :hug:

16. FuzzyBunny

FuzzyBunny I Doubt It

lol yeah I grew up in the same neighborhood as him and his brother early on in life. His step mom is like a mother to me but me and the guys only talk a few times a year(even though I wanna move out to LA with them at some point:noes:).

Are you still using marijuana while taking these meds? Im a heavy user myself(daily). Did your doctor warn you about this habit?

Notice any improvements yet or do things seem to be the same/worse?

17. Liquid_Vitamins

Liquid_Vitamins New Member

Do you still have them? Is the doctor or someone on call so you could check in and tell him now you have new issues?

18. Cronin

Cronin New Member

:hug:

19. Cronin

Cronin New Member

That is effin' awesome. Some day, when I'm better of course, when I'm out on the west close you gotta help an OTer out so we can chill with WILL KIRBY!!! :x:

I haven't smoked since July 2006 and, yes, Doctors have asked me to refrain from any other drugs including alcohol :riaa:

Things seem different. I'll have to get back to you on that one :dunno:

20. Cronin

Cronin New Member

I still have them and they are loud! I hiccup at least ten times every hour! I've read online that some people experience hiccups while on Abilify but that they go away after a few days. I see the prescribing doctor next Monday so unless anything serious comes up I'll just wait to remark on that then.

21. superhoop

superhoop New Member

On and off for 12 to 13 years. I have better days the others. Some times it won't bother me for too bad for 6 months. Then it’s back and I’m dizzy again.
    I wish I would of seen your post earlier tonight. I got to get to bed, I’m no good if I don’t get enough sleep.

I hope you feel better.

22. Cronin

Cronin New Member

Are you saying you have derealization?

23. 2500

2500 Guest

your on medication for depersonalization? an anti-psychotic med used for schitzo? what else have you tried? depersonalization is most commonly a side effect of anxiety. do you have anxiety, panic attacks, nervousness? have you tried anything else to get rid of this like not drinking coffee, soda, tea, and anything with caffeine in it?

24. SubOptimal

SubOptimal New Member

I used to take that mother fucking BULLSHIT, but it gave me "akathisia" so I quit that and have been doing well on Risperdal.

25. jessssica20

jessssica20 New Member

i've been taking abilify for about 2 years. It works great for me. The only side effects i experienced were Restlessness and blurred vision. They went away after about 3-4 weeks of starting the drug. Oh and no weight gain (or at least i hear it's rare w/ abilify) YAY!

good luck:)