A&P I'm starting to turn my back on photography v. Rant

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by aCab, Jan 29, 2008.

1. aCab

aCab New Member

Everyone is doing it now and think that they are the greatest. Its seems that most people think that a DSLR = good pictures, which is not the case. The fact that everyone is jumping on the bandwagon is cool, but stuff like this pisses me off:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=444545.

What are your guys thoughts? Not just on that thread, but on the direction photography is going in general?

2. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

posted a response to that thread....

but yeah, now that every tom, dick and harry have a DSLR, it's flooding the market with crap.

3. bakinbits

bakinbits -This Space for Rent-

Wow. I just bought my first DSLR last week and I was nervous about taking pictures of my 1 month old nephew. I couldn't imagine trying to sign myself up for weddings! That's just.. wow.

Hobby, yes
    Profession, no

At least this flood of ignorant noobs will drive up demand for people who actually know what they're doing.. :dunno:

4. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

so what else is new, also happens with social events where pages like 2night.com have gone into existence because they can get their photos for practically free and don't care that much of the quality.

what you do is create a name for yourself then start raising your prices..that way you are attracting a different type of client

5. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

Well, at least it's not your wedding. The threadstarter will find out it's not as easy as it looks.

6. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

:rofl: you'll probably get a angry PM about that comment too :mamoru:

7. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

I don't really care about stuff like that...I've had my DSLR for like 2.5 years now and really enjoy it as a hobby. I don't see why you guys really care - yeah everyone and their mother gets a DSLR, their pictures turn out like crap :mamoru: and then they figure out there is a lot more to it.

8. OlafBeserka

OlafBeserka girls pee pee when they see me OT Supporter

This is the same as every bandwagon. People were complaining about how F&F upped the interest in the 240sx. People started to jump ship because they didnt want to be part of the fad.

Really how does it affect you? Just take your shots and make them better then the next guy.

9. tolomei

tolomei Leaving Las *****-Vegas

I'm afraid to post anything I've taken with my new camera here. :rofl: I'm starting classes in a month and hopefully in a year I'll be taking pics that don't suckass. :o

10. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

photography is just a fad anyway

11. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

post some pics, you fool.

nobody (well, maybe me) is going to make fun of you ... at least get some tips.

12. tolomei

I'll probably wait until after my first class. Right now I'm just getting used to manual focusing and failing horrible at it. :o Just doing a lot of experimenting right now.

13. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

manual focusing? for what?

14. IntheWorks

Doing it professionally, it does effect me/us. It really doesn't hurt the high end pro's, but it does those of us who are starting up or have been doing it for a few years and are in smaller markets. It's extremely hard to compete with someone who's offering to shoot free weddings no matter how much better your stuff is.

15. tolomei

Just playing around. Take a few pics . . . notch up the ISO one slot . . . take a few pics . . . repeat. Doing that with all the settings to see what that does. :o

16. IntheWorks

post em up n00b. :mamoru: You'll get some dickish OT'ish comments, but they're all in good fun around here. You'll probably actually learn something from this forum because we won't tell you how great it is, no matter how bad it really sucks.

17. bakinbits

bakinbits -This Space for Rent-

As a n00b myself (D80 arrived last week) I've received nothing but helpful comments. The typical OT comments are expected, but there is a wealth of knowledge here.

18. Lol McRofles

Lol McRofles Lollers OT Supporter

:werd: It's worth posting pictures here. I did, and they sucked completely. One of the comments it received the most was to do a home made light box. After doing a little research, I found that pictures from the light box look amazing. Now I'm just waiting for a break in my schedule to make it.

I bought my camera last month, and I would not want to deal with the pressures of taking wedding pictures for family members. I'd do it on my own, but also tell them to make sure they have a professional and not to rely on m y pictures.

19. Bowzyr

Bowzyr sup bro

other way to look at it is the more shitty work there is out there, the more good stuff actually stands out..

I know i can spot a n00b picture and i can spot a picture from someone that actually has talent in a second.

20. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

I think its good, so that everyone understands what it takes when you compare a good photo to a bad one. Show these people up and you will never lose work.

21. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

i think that's what everyone does.

but why are you manually focusing?

post some f'n pics.

22. OlafBeserka

OlafBeserka girls pee pee when they see me OT Supporter

Then that would be a mistake on the couple. Clearly they will get divorced because they dont care about how good that day will be captured.

23. tolomei

:eek3:

24. dmora

dmora Guest

Its cause its accessible now and has instant gratification of being Digital.

Good photography is still hard to attain.

Shit i'm learning how to develop B&W Film in class.. holy shit its not fun trying to load the reel with the exposed film in the dark. Then getting chemicals on me to make me smell like Formaldehyde the rest of the day. :barf:

25. nastyboy132

nastyboy132 New Member

if you're booking 'walmart weddings' sure it is.
    if you're not aiming for that segment of the market it doesn't matter. I haven't had a problem at all, as most of the clients that find their way to me care about their images, and don't just want the cheapest solution. Get yourself established in that market and you won't have to worry about it. :)