I'm starting to get interested in all things networking v. ftp

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Doc Brown, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

There's a thread running right now about ftp that got me wondering.

Can somebody give me the cliffs on ftp?

Is it similar to say a p2p like Kazaa, but with limitations on the number of people?
    What about the servers. Who operates the servers that make ftp run, and how do they make money?

I've avoided all things networking like the plague because it's such a huge field.
    But now I need to start filling in the blanks.

2. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

FTP is not P2P. It's more like a web server or file share. It's an old protocol, in respect to p2p, from the days before the web.

3. Doc Brown

I know it's not the same, I'm asking how similar it is functionally speaking.

I mean, it seems like it's still people connecting through servers via software that they install, no?

And what about the servers that it's ran on.

4. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Yeah, FTP and P2P are very different. Where FTP is a true client/server exchange method, P2P is strictly peer-to-peer (except that in some cases, indexing information is stored on a central server). Basically, FTP runs as a server process, and runs off of TCP ports 21 and 22 (iirc). 21 is used for the actually data transferring, and 22 is used for commands being exchanged between the client and server.

5. Doc Brown

Ok, that makes sense.

So in ftp, the server is actually a storage solution,
    and in p2p, the server is just a connection solution.

6. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Correct. Like I said, it works very much like a web server, except instead of downloading HTML you are transfering files.

7. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

FTP uses port 21. 22 is for SSH, upon which some (secure) FTP servers run (usually called SFTP - secure ftp). Actually I think it's just an SSH server with FTP functionality, quite a lot of them have it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Transfer_Protocol
    Nope. P2P is quite a bit more complex, where you download parts of the file/s from maybe 10s of different computers. With FTP you download the file/s from one server only. Servers usually limit the number of people for bandwidth/load purposes. With P2P there's usually no limits because you can have 100s of people to download the file/s from. 50 can tank under bandwidth and load (I'd be surprised if this ever happened) and you'll still be able to complete the download.

I read a good article about P2P yesterday. http://www.technologyreview.com/BizTech/17904/page1/
    Basically it just might be the saviour of the web in 2007+ \o An unbelievable amount of money is going into it, for sure. I bet that surprises some of ye...

Anyhow, FTP is good for just generally making files available (for large downloads, like videos, I wouldn't touch it though), and nobody will have a problem downloading them (IE, Firefox, etc. support downloading via FTP .. it's a very widespread protocol).

HTTP the basic functionality of FTP, but FTP is handier for setting up accounts where people can upload files for others, only download certain files etc...

8. Doc Brown

The part in that link about getting credit for uploading off of your hd, is one of those things that everybody is going to say "damn, I wish I had thought of that".