GUN Im so confused, need a bit of help with NFA

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TwistedMind, Nov 11, 2007.

1. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

I recently decided to add 2 weapons to my collection.

I want to add a SBR AR-15 and SBR AK-47

How do I do this?

I don't really want to purchase a SBR as they are pretty fing expensive the AR-15 i like is going to run 1700 dollars if I purchase it from a dealer in Houston. 1400 for gun 200 for stamp, 100 for them haveing to mess with NFA paperwork.

I dont own a AR-15 already but if I did, How would I go about adding a 10.5 " barrel to it.

Lets assume I have a complete AR-15 upper and lower.

I think ( if my memory serves ) all I would have to do is form 1 the Lower and have it engraved after paper work was approved then install the barrel. Yes? or No?

Same for the AK-47 although I do already own an Ak-47 so I wouldnt have to purchase anything except a new barrel I think.

Thank you for any help I searched ARFCOM for 2 hours and still havent found anything relating to this.

2. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

I want to do something like this with the AK, but i dont want it to be a pistol.

Plus pictures are always a plus

[​IMG]

3. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I'm guessing the $100 includes the transfer fee too...atleast I would hope so.

I'd go the trust route and pick up Quicken Willmaker. You can set up a trust there in like 10 minutes, it's pretty self explanatory. With the trust method you don't have to get fingerprinted or have your CLEO sign off on it. Some people say you get approved faster too :dunno:

Now, for the pics. Hope they work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Keesh

Keesh New Member

You'll have to engrave the receiver you SBR on each of your rifles. So your AK receiver will have to be engraved. The cool thing with ARs is you can have one SBR engraved lower receiver and then swap out short barrel uppers. Just make sure the short barreled uppers ONLY go on your NFA registered receiver.

5. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

think you might have missed my point.

To change to a SBR upper all I would have to do is register the pre egisting lower on a form 1, or form 4? This is where im confused. I also plan to form an LLC in the event my CLEO decides to be a douche bag. Id rather out right own it with my name on the papers if I can.

this will be my first NFA stuff, Also do they make SBR ak kits?

6. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

For the AK I would leave the one you have as is and pick up a reciever and krink kit.

7. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

thats what I was thinking as well, Since its built from a kit it would go on a form 1 right?

do you have any idea about the ar-15 lower?

8. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

link?

9. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That I'm not sure about, I plan to do it in the future myself but I'm not in a NFA friendly state yet.

10. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Not sure who has the cheapest prices right now, I got krink kits from chief thunder back in the day, but Cope's and MGS probably have some kits on their sites. heres the one copes has $689 http://www.copesdist.com/images/aks74u.jpg

11. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Oops, I suck at reading :o It's a form 1 I believe.

http://dpharms.com/aks74u-demilled-bulgarian-krinkov-parts-set-p-274.html

There's a krink kit. You can get a reciever from NoDak Spud, they make really nice ones.

12. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Damn guess $689 is the current going price last i looked they upper 500's, I wish I bought more of them when they were cheap could of made a killing selling them :hs:

13. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

i need to research ak-?? more. I have no idea where to go from here. Now that know which forms I need to use.

It seems the ak varient would be the cheaper of the 2 to start with so I may be doing that and then trying to figure out what I want from a AR-15.

Do I send the form 1 in and then purchase parts or can I purchase the kits and reciever and then send the forms as long as I dont put it together?

14. Keesh

Keesh New Member

:hs: yeah, I would have bought a ton of those $200 kits. I see them going for $625 or so every so often on some boards but I can't justify paying that much for one kit right now, especially when a guy I know has a post sample one.

15. Keesh

Keesh New Member

You can buy the parts kit, just don't put it together until you get approved.

16. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You can have the kit and receiver as long as you dont assemble till you get your stuff back.

17. ElChupacabra

ElChupacabra we should have fucking shotguns

You will have to F1 them both, $200 tax on each. You can't just swap the barrel on the AK, you'll need a shorter gas system as well. It's not that easy to do, esp if you aren't gunsmithily inclined.

18. ElChupacabra

ElChupacabra we should have fucking shotguns

Negative. This is what ATF calls "constructive possession". That's like saying you can have an M79 receiver and a 40mm barrel without a tax stamp. Or an AR lower and a military sear.

19. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

Mr.Chupacabra, so I met a WMD member that can sell me a AR-15 10.3 " barreled upper.

Before i purchased this item I would first need to purchase a lower and form 1 it before purchasing the upper?

20. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

That would be your best bet, or keep the lower at the dealers.

If you have readily availible access to an AR lower and an SBR upper you're in the constructive intent category.

On my M79, the receiver is in my dealers safe while everything else is kept at the house.

Even though an M79 receiver and AR lower are Title 1 firearms, you cant have all the goodies that make them NFA until the paperwork is there.