SRS I'm smart, yet I make bad desisions

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by vinegar, Oct 3, 2006.

1. vinegar

vinegar add some zing! to your steak

And I think I'm bipolar. My father was, and i grew up while he was in the midst of battleing it. Yet he didn't get treatment until I was 12- he was around 47.
    I'm almost 20 now, going to a state school. I'm living with people who I thought were my friends, but they just don't understand me. I'm surrounded by alchohol and drugs, and it's not healthy. Tomarrow I'm meating with my dean to discuss withdrawl frm the semster so I can go home and get help. I'm not sure it's a good decision to withdraw from school because if i go home i won't have anything to do and i have maybe 1 friend at home whos fulltime at school.I think the best thing to do is to take part time classes at a comm. college and have a part time job thats not too that i had in h.s. that isnt stressful. My mom doesnt work so maybe thatll be the support i need outside of psychological and pharmisudical.
    Like I said earlier, I make bad decisions in my life that later on make me wonder what I was thinking. Im told everyday by people that I'm very smart, and this just leads me to question how sane I really am. I think this is the best decision i can make at this point.
    I appreciate your guys' support

2. Kerberos

Kerberos New Member

If people keep telling you that you're very smart, that usually means you have no social skills. Acquire social skills. Schools are the best place for that. Try to join a club or something (not the chess club or the debate club, that's what geeks do), but join clubs where you go get drunk with a bunch of people. Oh, and school is the worst subject of discussion. Just go see someone and ask him about himself. You'll probably turn out to be friends.

3. OoOlAlA

OoOlAlA New Member

Honestly, whatever you feel is the best for you right now is right. Happiness is everything. Some schools just are not for everyone. Do you have any reasons to think you are bi-polar and have you got that situation all checked out? Dont worry so much about friends right now, worry more about yourself and getting happy. People make mistakes in life and we just need to accept what we did. If you feel like you need to talk to someone go to a counciler, if your not comfortable with that you can talk to me you know, pm me or whatever, You dont know me or anything but maybe that would make it easier. I have been through tons of things in my life, many at a very strong age and I really love to help people out. So the offer is on the table.

4. Sloi

Sloi Back up in your ass with the resurrection

Hey, smart people make a shitload of mistakes too... they're just generally not as bad or they tend to bounce back faster than most.

For what it's worth, I routinely do stupid shit and I'm in Mensa...

5. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

It is VERY difficult for anyone to give you advice that's 100% accurate because we don't know you and all your issues. It could be that quitting and dropping out are pattern behaviors for you and the only way to STOP doing that is to work harder and stop quitting. However, if you were a good student in HS and seem to have just lost your way a little bit, perhaps a break will do good things for you. I dunno.

I can tell you from experience that for me, the key was to find something I was passionate about. This is more than looking at a profession and how much money I can make doing it and how happy all that money will make me. No, it's getting in touch with who I am, what I'm interested in and what I enjoy doing when I'm not being paid/graded to do it.

When you are studying something you are passionate about, you will be more motivated to turn down the drugs and alcohol and pick up the books. When you start getting good grades in your courses, you really start seeing how fun school can be.

So I've known people that took time off from college and now are happily working in a field they love and have really created great lives for themselves. However, the more common thing I see is that someone drops out of college never to return....or to return much later in life....like 40.

Neither path is wrong...they are just different and everyone must find the path that works for them. It goes by many different names but I like to call it, Finding Your Own Voice. It's about finding out what makes you tick...what you love to do....what is interesting to you. If there is a subject that you absolutely want to know everything about then that's prolly a good subject for you to study (even if it's not a high paying field traditionally) because you will be more motivated to study and push through the difficult aspects of the degree.

Regardless, drugs and alcohol are known to ruin many promising young lives. That's why there are laws against minors drinking and against anyone using drugs...BECAUSE THEY DESTROY LIVES! It's seriously best to just avoid those things.

6. vinegar

vinegar add some zing! to your steak

thanks for the advice, coottie

7. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Anytime.