I'm sick of getting sick

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by xSteveO, Nov 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xSteveO

xSteveO Guest

give me ideas. I hardly even train anymore because I've been sick atleast 15 of the last 30 days. I went to the doctor, diagnosed with upper respiratory infection. Gave me amoxicillin. kinda helped, nothing dramatic. 2 weeks later, back again. same symptoms, starts out with a sore throat, works into a stuffy nose/headache. then a really bad, gagging cough.

I need a fix. I eat good. eat lots of fruits and veggies and am in/was in the best shape of my life

2. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

I had a few respiratory infections this year. The most recent one was upper, viral and took me months to get over but it didn't really effect me too much, I just had a bad cough.

I started out the year with walking pneumonia and that shit sucked. It's possible your DR didn't give you a heavy enough dose to knock it out completely, I'd head back to the doctor personally.

3. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

are you on right now?

4. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

stop using steroids

5. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

I feel you man :wtc:

I get a respiratory infection about 3 times a year now and every time I get it the damn things puts me out for a good 2-3 weeks.

I am in the final stages of one right now actually. I have not been in the gym in ~ 2 weeks because it started it off with headaches and dizziness, then moved to a HORRIBLE sore throat, and not it's mostly just congestion, coughing, and flem.
    I need to get into the doctor to check if it's viral so I can get an antibiotic.

I wish there was a way to prevent this crap though... Just like you I am in great shape, eat well, take a daily multi, get vit-C, and drink plenty of green tea and coffee.
    It fucking boggles my mind!

I'm hoping to get back into the gym tonight (for a light day) for the first time in over 2 weeks.

6. TZ

TZ Banned

I'm really thankful I haven't been sick in a really long time. I supplement with vitamin c which I think helps. Also sleeping and eating well is good to prevent it, or recover.

An idea for you might be megadosing fish oil..(like 20g a day or more i think) Might wanna try that, although thats kinda expensive.. i read on another forum people were talking about how it's supposed to be great for your health in general

7. xSteveO

xSteveO Guest

glad it's not just me. I've been taking 1g of vitamin C everyday for atleast a year now. I drink about 2 glasses of green tea a day. 1 glass of juice. 2-3 fruits a day, fruit varies by what is in season. I might go see the doctor again and find out. I'm just sick of paying this out of pocket shit for an antibiotic that does practically nothing.

and no, I've been clean going on a year now

8. Abomb

Abomb New Member

man, it sounds like you are doing everything possible to remain healthy. are u taking a bunch of fish oil and omegas 3-6-9 etc?

maybe take 2 weeks off and sleep a shit ton, keep doing your daily nutritional and supplemental routine ?

and get a second opinion from another doctor or two !!!

edit: go see a young female doctor. it seems to me like the female doctors care about you more. either that or they are good actresses. i dont know. *shrug*.

9. delay pedal

delay pedal Guest

dont hit the gym when your sick?
    you didnt mention if your stressed or sleeping well

10. Mass

Mass Active Member

get you a zpak from hindupharmacy.com or wherever

11. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

aids is a bitch

12. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

That happened to me leading up to my meet in August. Doctor put me on one antibiotic and it kinda helped, but I stayed thickheaded and just ignored the symptoms after (my primary concern was ditching the ear infection so I could squat again). Went back and they said it was mild pneumonia, gave me methylprednisolone which I refused to take... continued with vitamin c and green tea, didn't get better. Went back and they give me megadosed amox and a few other goodies... cleared me up enough to do the meet and it eventually went away on its own. I think I spent about 1.5 months sick because I was being mad thickheaded. Go back to the doc or go to another doc.

13. bigdamray

bigdamray New Member

Man, I have to take prednisone to get over that shit!! Fucks me up real bad, I usually gain 20 pounds in water bloat and lose muscle but it's better than dying.

14. JeffMerr

JeffMerr Guest

I had the exact same thing about 3 months ago.

I now use sinus rinse twice a day and I haven't been sick since, I think that the nasal drip from my sinuses was irritating my throat turning into a sickness.

15. jokka

jokka OT Supporter

had an infection where i would wake up durin the middle of the night, coughing my ass out. I think i got like 4 hours of sleep for an entire week.

16. ilduce

ilduce New Member

I would def get that checked out again. About 2 weeks ago my brother let himself get real bad (asthma since he was a child) and he ended up having Bronchitis and Pneumonia. He eventually went to the ER with severe chest pains thinking something was going on with his heart but as it turned out his coughing had gotten so bad he ripped a hole in his lung!! On a side the X-Ray revealed that he had 3 broken vertebrae in his lower back which he didnt know about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.