im seriously thinking about a bike but i need advice..

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Guest, Feb 18, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hey guys, i recently got my old camry (city car) stolen outside my house in philly.. i dont want to bring my new car into the city since its def going to get stolen even if i pull the ecu fuse, so i was thinking about getting a bike and parking it at my university's garage.... so i want to ask you guys what models i should look into. I saw Prelude_ed's post and got some good adive on how to pick a bike out but not which models to look at. My price range is around 2-4k. So i basically need advice on a model and also if you knew of any other forums that could help me out... Oh and also for u guys familiar with either the philly region or pocono region what stores to look at...thnx guys.

2. TRD

TRD Guest

have you had any riding experience on a dirt bike? sportbike?? if you haven't how tall are you?? reason asking this if u are short then limited to only a couple bikes unless you get them lowered and stuff...

one of the best sites i go to is http://sportbikes.net
    they have a newbie forum and a lot of forums over there

have u have any more questions reply back or send me a pm

3. Guest

Guest Guest

hey thnx for replying... to answer ur ?'s, i do have exp on dirtbikes and i rode my friends gsxr-600 a few times. I think the best size for me to start off in is a 600cc, im 5'11" and 150lbs. if i have the money i want a fairly new r6, but i would be glad to have a cbr or gsx-r, but these 3 are my favs for a starting ride... so how much do u think it would cost me for a one of these bikes fairly new?? and how much would insurance be in an area similar to a philly suburb for a 22 year old that has taken the MSR course??? and thnx for the forum suggestion.

4. mike1

mike1 Dance Bish

Yadda yaddy ya Dont get a newer bike its going to go down and fairings arent cheap. Blaha blaha blaha But I dont know anything
    :o

5. SBandit4

SBandit4 If shit hits the fan, just make sure you have a go

Well, you'll probably have to consider the insurance too. I don't know about your area but around here, it cost more to fully insure a sports bike than a car.

6. Hpower281

Hpower281 Guest

ppl always told me, YOU WILL DROP YOUR BIKE. Haven't yet *knocks on wood*. As long as you dont act carelessly, you won't drop ur sh*t. Watch for water, gravel, sand, and oil. Warm your tires up before draggin ur knee. Watch for road debri and u'll be fine. Get a newer bike if you think u have the skills to ride it.

7. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

yoru tiem is comming

8. mike1

mike1 Dance Bish

Yep it will ask long term riders and 99% of them say it will happen.

9. Hpower281

Hpower281 Guest

a young guy i know has been riding for years.....i think about 5 years. he's owned three bikes and dropped them all. Know why, cuz he is a dumb sh*t. He hasnt just dropped them all once....he has dropped them all plenty of times.....everytime i see his bike it looks worse...lol....he drives crazy and acts careless. Unlike myself.

BUT i know i know....i'm still gonna drop it no matter what, right? :rolleyes:

10. Platnum Toof

Platnum Toof Guest

I'd look into a CBR F2/F3 as they are easily one of the better learning bikes. They are very forgiving and have enough power to keep you interested but not as much as a newer bike.

I would stay away from the GSXR as a first bike or the R6. They are both track bred bitches and arent as comfortable or as forgiving.

Although it always comes down to how much you think you can handle and how responsible you are.

11. TRD

TRD Guest

i dropped my 250 before i was so pissed of....