SRS Im seriously depressed

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by MudRacer4x4, Dec 24, 2008.

1. MudRacer4x4

MudRacer4x4 New Member

my therapist says its because of the way i was brought up and mabey a chemical enbalance. I am on prozac 20mg but im so depressed i just want to die. Are there test to see what chemical your lacking in the brain and the best way to treat it?

2. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

There's no good tests.

Best way is to stick with an antidepressant and get into some cognitive-behavioral therapy, escalate as needed from there.

3. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

I'm not sure how long you've been on treatment, but please beware that those medications can be helpful in time, but it can take time to find one that fits your needs -- however the medications can also have the unpleasant side effect initially of "increasing" depression.

Make sure to talk to your doctor about what you're reporting to us. I'm really sorry you're suffering and while I can't fix this for you, and I don't know of any effective biological method to test with, I can tell you that I understand what it is to suffer.

People usually tell me "This too shall pass" -- it helps me, because it's inevitable. At least I know it's possible the suffering will end and I'll hopefully feel better.

4. MudRacer4x4

MudRacer4x4 New Member

im doing therapy its helping but also making me more depressed cause i have to face my issues. I can't stop thinking about the future i feel like i have to make decissions all the time and just cant live my life one day at a time

5. 2500

2500 Guest

It's good you found the root of your problem, but now it's time to stop saying "It's because of how I was brought up" and it's time to start focusing on what life changes you can make to allow you to be in control of your future. I was raised pretty shitty, and sure, I can point the finger all I want at my dad for being lousy and causing some of my emotional problems, but, you have to get past the why, and focus on moving forward.

6. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Tell me about it man, it's hard work doing therapy and really hard living one day at a time. It's like learning any new skill I think. It's painful at first but it gets easier.

7. shit yo

shit yo Guest

Depression is not caused by a chemical imbalance and Prozac is shit. Research proves that anti-depressants don't work. Just stay away from them.

8. BwanaKuu

BwanaKuu New Member

SOME depression is caused by a chemical imbalance. Not everyone who has depression has a chemical imbalance, but some do. Unfortunately the only way to tell if you need the medicine is trial and error as there's no real tests for chemical imbalances. What research proves anti-depressants don't work? I've never heard of any. :dunno:

9. Cabbagekid-108

Cabbagekid-108 New Member

We're all human and we do become depressed over time. What you tell us is what you tell us, we're not asking you to tell us what your not comfortable with us knowing but the more information you can tell us, the higher probablility of us being able to help you.

I do know your concerns that your always thinking about where you'll be later in life, time to time i think that. What you haft to ask yourself, writing it down works better and gives you more of the big picture, is what makes you depressed. What things in your life makes you feel you don't want to be here. That is key is figuring out why do you feel depressed.

The next step is change, something in your life makes you feel depressed and what can you do to change it. Your concerned about the future, well what about the future are you worried about; earning enough income, being happy, your future social life? Regardless if you tell us or not you must find a number of possible solutions, it may not be as easy as I say. For example your worried about not being able to obtain good grades, solutions could include; taking time away from other things to study at night, changing your diet into a healthy one so that you're more focused during classes.

Also find what you're good at and interested in, those will contribute to you fixing your depression. We as humans tend to become more positive when we're doing something we are good at or like to do. Myself i really like working out at the gym, not only does it help me psycologically but it works physiologically and socially.

Hope you get better soon

10. MudRacer4x4

MudRacer4x4 New Member

its a few things ruining my life right now. One of them is my girl friend she doesn't treat me right but I live in a town with alot of white trash girls and shes like the best out of all them:sadwavey:. So i'm kind of lost. My therapist says that my parents raised me wrong and im filling an empty space in my heart with the girl friend and shopping. I don't have much confidence at all. I just hate how im awake at night thinking "will i be with her for good" "should I go to 4 years of school" "where should I move" etc.

11. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

You still need to dump your girlfriend.

12. Cabbagekid-108

Cabbagekid-108 New Member

Well if your girlfriend doesnt treat you the way you want her to treat you then you might haft to call it off, would you let yourself be with someone for the rest of your life that treats you like crap?

Also if the town you live in has a lot of trash girls then you can either make the best of them, you can just be friends with them or just ignore them until you reach a certain point in life (high school diploma for example) where you can leave that town and move to where ever. Your not trapped in that town forever.

I dont know you myself nor your parents but you gotta decide based on your life and skills whether or not your parents raised you wrong.

With the confidence thing it takes time, should find something you like to do or maybe find something else you'd like to try out. One thing i'd really recommend is getting a gym membership and start working out just because of all the science that goes behind it, but that's my opinion go do what works for you.

13. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

Stop talking troll. :rofl:

Research has proven time and time again that the antidepressants work.

14. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

Everyone who is depressed inherently has a chemical issue. Since we can't compare it to a "normal," there's no way we can look for ranges of serotonin metabolites, for example.

My point is that everything you see the brain do - depression, thought, movement - is inextricably controlled by chemical processes in the brain. You can't separate the physical processes from the psychological processes because they are exactly the same thing.

15. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Ding, Pow, Zoom. :eek3:

16. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Make love to me. :o

17. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

:naughty::rofl:

18. 2500

2500 Guest

Hate to disagree Drew, but from my experience with dozens of people I know, they do nothing to CURE the problem, they only supress the symptoms. That's not really working IMO. Thats like taking Motrin to cure a broken leg. Yeah it covers the pain, so maybe you don't feel the pain, but, your leg is still broken and as soon as you stop taking them, you're pains back.

And, I'm just curious, because I suffered with severe panic attacks and anxiety problems years ago, and, my "chemical imbalance" was cured with 1 session of hypnosis? Went from 6-10 panic attacks a day, sitting in the ER 5 nights a week, 12,000 dollars in mecial tests over the course of a year, to having 4 panic attacks in 5 years? I'm curious how a single 45 minute session of hypnosis cured my "MUST BE" chemical imbalance.

*edit* and it was THAT DAY that they stopped. I went in for 45 minutes, left, and from that DAY, have only had 4 panic attacks in 5 years. I was having them severely up until the morning I went. Was in the ER 2 days before. It was full blown, and I had a severe panic attack even the morning I went to the hypnotherapist. But from the second I left, until today, I have been 99.9% panic and anxiety free with no meds.

19. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

Absolutely. No one in their right mind would argue that these drugs cure psychological disorders. The problem is that antidepressants have somehow acquired a "cure" label over the course of their lives; they were not designed or prescribed to cure anything. Your Motrin example is a good analogy.

You break your leg, and the pain is unbearable. Motrin doesn't fix your leg, but it helps control symptoms of the broken bones. It increases your quality of life and allows you to maintain a degree of freedom (and sanity). It's not the cure, but a vital tool in the healing process.

And that relates back to my comment on the "interactions" between the brain and mind. Because they are the same process, you can influence the chemistry of the brain through talk therapy. Words ARE drugs, in a sense. For some people, hypnosis works just as well - if not better - than an SSRI.

20. 2500

2500 Guest

I'd be interested in knowing more about how hypnosis and talk therapy can influence my brain to produce chemicals. Thats whats funny, I know it worked, I'm proof it worked, but I couldn't tell you in the slightest how it worked.

21. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

I honestly don't know the exact mechanism through which it works but it does influence the brain very dramatically.