MIL I'm sending care packages to soldiers this Christmas and am seeking suggestions.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by awwwdreyawww, Dec 2, 2007.

1. awwwdreyawww

awwwdreyawww New Member

The first one is for a relative of my brother's gf who was severely wounded in Afghanistan and is recovering in a Washington D.C. hospital. He is in such bad condition that he will need years of physical therapy just to walk & function on his own (as I know many others are :() and he'll never be able to have kids cause his parts are broken. :wtc:. I don't know many people in the military, and I'm hoping you guys could suggest some things to send, since you know what those guys miss the most. I really want to make his holiday, but he's so depressed, it's gonna be difficult. I'm going to be sending everything on a plane with my brother on Dec. 12th, so anything you guys can contribute to help me get started would really be appreciated.

I'm going to put together more than one, now that I discovered anysoldier.com, because there are many more that could use this kind of stuff.

Thanks for your attention on this. I can't express how much I appreciate what you guys do for us all. :love:

2. EBK

EBK Hate hippies & hadjis

Pictures, get well cards, deodorant, decks of playing cards.. Have an old gameboy to get rid of? Send that. Portable DVD player you don't use? Send that with some movies.. books, recent magazines (cars, hobbies, video games, xxx), phone cards, disposable cameras (these were the best)

What are some of his favorite snacks? Sends lots of them. Get ahold of some pizza places near the hospital and order some for the floor.. order them some ice cream

Also, AnySoldier.com is great -- we recieved so many donations from them.. everything/anything helps

3. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

That's really nice of you.

As for the relative of your brother's g/f...try and find out what he enjoys. It would make more sense to try and make it more personalized.

I'm sure it will provide some sort of happiness for the holiday season.

Sometimes just hearing from people and knowing you have not been forgotten means the most.

4. awwwdreyawww

awwwdreyawww New Member

I just wanted to say thanks so much for your guys' replies. They were great suggestions, and I was able to include a lot of stuff listed. I mailed out 3 packages on Friday priority status, so they should get them later this week. :wiggle:

If any of you guys want to PM me your addresses, I can send you some magazines, cards & stuff too.... If you guys have a lot of family & friends that do that already, that's awesome. I just thought I would extend the offer anyway. :)

5. awwwdreyawww

awwwdreyawww New Member

Oh wow, that's a great idea. That's also something that I wouldn't mind doing... probably even as soon as the next couple of months. I just took up scrapbooking last month to make one for my grandpa, and you're right they're expensive hobbies. But they are also good stress relievers so everybody wins. :) I'll have to visit my grandma more often, so she can show me how to crochet/knit. :o I don't know anybody who quilts. Hell I don't even know how to sew, but I'll learn that too. :mamoru:

Now that I saw your username, I'll find you once I finish my first one and you can :rofl: at it before I send it. :hsugh:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  6. Truk

Truk New Member

The things I thought worked best were snack food stuff (beef jerky being the best), baby wipes, magazines (anything works...I read so many different things), books, and cards from little kids.

7. DLS

DLS New Member

I liked getting the glass ginger ale bottles my sister emptied and filled with vodka for me.(90-91)

Don't use plastic bottles, the altitude changes on the plane trip if in an un-pressurized hold could cause them to leak.