A&P I'm selling stuff (not here) and practicing product photography at the same time lawl

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by CornUponCob, Sep 13, 2007.

1. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

A while ago I made a lightbox based on others I saw on the internet to do product photography. Then I read a book (Light Science and Magic) and found out that the box I built is worthless, however some of the foamboard and the sheet of glass I bought aren't necessarily so.

I'm actually trying to sell all this stuff locally first (I HATE HATE HATE shipping stuff, but if I can't then I'll try OT and other camera sites).

Things I hate about all of these shots

1. Crap shows up on the glass and lenses even after cleaning the hell out of it
    2. Double reflection under the items (I guess the glass is too thick, or I'm doing something wrong
    3. Can't always put the light where I want it and block it from where I don't want it. (hard to put small gobos in front of an umbrella with no clamps)

Other than that, they turned out OK. I'm kicking myself for not taking a WA shot of the whole setup. I had a sheet of glass sitting on two ottomans with an angled piece of black foamcore under the glass (sloping down towards me). I had a b1600 fired into a 32" umbrella camera left and 3 feet above the stuff, and a 580EX camera right about 1 foot above the stuff. I don't know the exact lighting ratio because I'm kinda comparing apples and oranges. I put a sheet of black foamcore angled towards me on the back edge of the glass to eliminate reflections from the room off the glass. I had another sheet of black foamcore that I would move around in an attempt to kill reflections off the LCD screen and stuff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

cheap home depot spring clamps and some white poster board are your friends, dude.

I like the shots, but those reflections are hell. Out of curiosity did you try a CPL with it to see if it would help? I don't know if it would in this situation or not.

3. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

I didn't. I'll try one next time.

The glass is a 3/8" sheet 38" x 30" that I bought from a shower door company for $20. With material directly under the glass, you only get one reflection, but the surface looks uglier. With the background not flush against the glass, you get a nicer looking surface, but terrible reflections. I think most reflections coming off glass are polarized, so I'll try the CP next time for sure.

4. kristin

kristin my dog > *

The double reflections might be caused by a reflection on the bottom surface underneath the glass. I know when I made a lightbox and used white poster board (the shiny kind) it made a VERY slight reflection, but with glass on top of it, there was a double reflection and/or a slight blur underneath. When I switched to regular poster board underneath the glass, there was only one reflection.

5. dano

dano OT Supporter

How much for the fifty? I need to pick one up. Help an OT'er out. :big grin:

6. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

I was going to try to sell it locally for $70. If I can't I'll lower the price to $60, and if I still can't, then I'll try to sell it online for $70.

7. Jonny Chimpo

Yup. There's a reflection coming off of both surfaces of the glass. Think in terms of a prism. What this type of thing should be shot on is glass that has one side etched/frosted. There would still be one reflection, but it would be much more controllable.

8. Jonny Chimpo

BTW, I gather you never found the little door?

9. dano

dano OT Supporter

Amazon has it for $80.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-50mm-1-8-Camera-Lens/dp/B00007E7JU

Not knocking your price, but just a heads-up that someone might lowball you like mad because of that.

Did you like that lens a lot for low light? I got a sidejob doing photography in clubs/bars for a company and I REALLY need a good low light lens. I've always heard the fitty's were perfect for that, hence my interest in it.

10. dano

dano OT Supporter

Fucker. I was just about to say that. :squint:

11. Jonny Chimpo

Damn, I'm just beating everyone to the punch lately. :hs:

Sorry.

12. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

I bet that shower door company will etch a side for me... wonder how much they'll charge.

And yeah, the price is slightly high, but you never know. It doesn't cost me much to wait around for it to sell. I've seen a lot of stuff on ebay sell for equal to what you can buy it for on Amazon (of course, who knows who actually won the auction... could have been a nigerian just wanting the win).

13. dano

dano OT Supporter

You said sorry to me? :ugh: Man, you're going soft. Say something horrible would ya?

14. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

For the price, you can't beat it. It might be an OK lens for club photography (to photograph the DJ or dancers or whatever from a short distance), but most club shots I've seen were all taken with a WA lens usually with a flash, and a .5 second shutter speed.

15. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

Nope, I spent like 2 hours looking. I'm sure I'll find it the day after I buy a new grip.

The 40D door does not fit on the 30D by about half a milimeter. It was annoying close.

16. dano

dano OT Supporter

The site is oriented at pictures of people, so they can see themselves on there and buy the pics. Don't really need many shots of DJ's or dancers since they'll not sell as much. If it would take good pics like, for example, a couple dancing but shitty lighting in the background, that's all I really need.

17. Jonny Chimpo

Your parents should have gotten an abortion.

18. dano

dano OT Supporter

Thatta boy. :rofl:

19. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

Go WA for sure. Every club I've ever been to is crowded. With the 50, you'll be limited to headshots. A WA zoom will allow you to easilly get head / torso shots of people from just a foot or so away. Whole body from 3 feet.

20. dano

dano OT Supporter

Recommendations?

21. Jonny Chimpo

You know, you're alright. (for an '06) :h5:

22. dano

dano OT Supporter

You used to hate my soul I think. Go back and look at old responses to me if you get REAL bored. :rofl:

23. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

24. Jonny Chimpo

Uhm...I hate EVERYONE'S soul. I said you were alright, not special.

25. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

Lawl, I've already gotten two replies from cragistlist 1st one legit.

The 2nd...

"Good day seller,
    I saw your advert from the craigslist and i will like to tell you that i have intrest in it and i will like to know the present condition and your last prise on it....i will be await to read back from you... "

I fucking recognise the email address from an auction for a 1Ds II for $2500.