A&P Im scared! About to drop $1300+ on a D70.

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by dmora, Apr 19, 2004.

1. dmora

dmora Guest

Thats a SHIT LOAD of money. Im scared i dont have the expertise to get the most out of it. I am a quick learner, and love to goof around with gadgets. I've got a good idea of basic photography, and what not.
    I like a lot of the features the camera has to offer and plan to use them a lot in my photography. Im just worried i wont be happy with it since i just finally started getting happy with my 717. I've been using it in Manual mode and been happy with the pictures ive been getting.

Am I getting in over my head? :hs:

2. one66stang

one66stang Haters.com

I would say you need to get it and start shooting. Thats the only way you will learn.

You could go buy a SLR film camera and shoot in manual. That will make you pay attention to what your doing since its going to cost you money for film and developing.

Just buy it.

3. redna

redna New Member

Buy it... I dropped about 2000 bucks into a D70, some memory, and another lens and dont regret it at all.... and my only experience before this was with a P&S Sony DSC-P92.... no manual functions at all..

4. Hua

Hua AZN photographer crew

Get the Canon EOS 1D Mark II. ;)

5. dmora

dmora Guest

:hs: Isnt that one like 6k?

6. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

Well, I actually just got my D70 with the 18-70mm lens about 11 hours ago, and here are some of my humble opinions.

I think the first thing that you will appreciate is the optical view finder, I don't know how I can really take a picture without one.

The, soon as you take your first picture, you will be impressed by the lack of delay.

I have already taken about 300 pictures with the camera, just to play around different ISO settings and modes and what not. I think the picture quality is simply amazing. The build quality is IMHO better than the 300D by a noticiable margin. Also the D70 IMHO has less noise at ISO400 and beyond. (Canon got much better lens selection through)

Now, the difference is that I started with nothing, and you already have the 717. If you think you are getting good results from the 717 and is happy with it, then I think you can wait for a bit. I think Canon will come out with something that will totally kill the D70 in 6 month or so maybe?

If you are really serious about learning photography, then I think it is one of the best camera to learn with. It has all the capabilities that you might need, and you get to take a ton of picture after the initial investment (well, + wear and tear on the camera).

I think if you want to sell your 717, you can still get a reasonable amount of money back, consider that the 828 is like... hum... $hit... If I were you, I would keep the 717 as a party cam, and get the D70, provided that you are comfortable with the investment.

Oh, one other thing, I am getting a telephoto lens, and after I have played around with the camera, I have to say that it's gonna cost a lot to get lens that the D70 deserves. Something like the Sigma 70-300 APO Super 2 is not gonna give you the picture that the D70 is really capable of. So, depends on what kind of picture you do most, a good lens will cost you.

p.s. but even than, with a 70-300 APO Super 2, or the Nikon 70-300ED, you will get a better picture than the 828.

I am certainly very happy with mine, and I am pretty sure that you will be very happy with the D70, too.

7. TypeSDragoon

TypeSDragoon Guest

sucks for you :big grin:

8. Merli

Merli gplus.to/merli OT Supporter

Don't waste your time with those lenses. They're made with inferior glass and you'll be disappointed with the soft-as-hell photos you'll get with them.

Buy this: http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=1058237

:big grin:

9. dmora

dmora Guest

FUCK YO POST NIGGA!!! [/Rick James]

10. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

Well, I am still not sure what I would want to get for my telephoto...

The Nikon or Sigma 80-400mm with VR/OS dont' have ultrasonic motor, and both are a slower lens compared to the 70-200mm.

now, the Sigma/Nikon 70-200mm will give me about f4 with 2X teleconvertor, which give 140-400mm, and becomes 210-600mm on my D70.

I guess what I really want is a VR 70-200mm with the 2X teleconvertor. That way I will have pretty usable telephoto up to 500mm, and between 500-600, I had take it as a bonus.

You see, usability is an very important factor to me. The Sigma 50-500mm will give me more zoom, with a 2X convertor, I am getting 1500mm out of it on my D70. Yet still how often can I use that 1500mm? Even with a tripod.

I think I will definately save up for the VR 70-200mm :bowdown: and get the 2X teleconvertor

Maybe also the Sigma 50-500 if the 2X teleconvertor will work with the Sigma (but I doubt it). I dont' do a lot of Macro stuff, so... I think that covers most of my needs. Even with another macro lens, My camera bag will fit them all + my labtop.

11. NauticaX

NauticaX OT Supporter

If you end up getting the 70-200VR get the 1.4x TC not the 2x because you will lose a bit of quality there. The 1.4 will be a good match.

12. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

very good points, thanks for pointing that out.

I havn't seen a good comparision between the quality of 1.4x and 2x convertor yet. But I will look into it before I buy anything for sure.

13. Merli

Merli gplus.to/merli OT Supporter

Slow slow slow slow. Just like the 70-300mm, you can't get top quality glass with such a high zoom range. It just doesn't happen.

Stay away from the teleconvertors. Not only do they slow down your lens (which might be okay if you start off with a fast, pro f2.8 lens), but they also degrade image quality. Just buy the lens in your desired focal range to start off with and don't dilute them with TCs

:wtf: Your last post you were talking about a 70-300mm DL and now you're talking about buying a 70-200mm VR? If you're in the market for one of these, I wouldn't have even suggested the Sigma 70-200 to you :ugh2: You're comparing chalk and cheese here. The 70-300 and 70-200 VR are at the two COMPLETE opposites of the spectrum.

Stay away from those teleconvertors dude, and a 2X TC on a Sigma 50-500 :)rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: ) will make it a f8-13 lens :rofl: Absolutely useless.

Why? Because a 100mm lens at f8 will be too slow for the AF to work properly, and a 1000mm lens at f13 will be so slow, you'll guarantee yourself a CF card full of blurred images.

Absolutely useless :) I know that Nikon only makes their TCs compatible with their fast AF-S f2.8 lenses. Using it on a 50-500mm f4-6.3 is :hs:

14. dmora

dmora Guest

This thread has quickly degraded to jibberish. :hs:

Can i get a translation on isle 1?

15. fade

fade tie your shoe bitch

um can i get a report on the waitlist for this thing? the d70.

16. dmora

dmora Guest

There are a few retailers that have em in stock or on a 2 week back order or so.

17. fade

fade tie your shoe bitch

i want to get it online, i guess i wont have it for my trip across the US :wtc:

18. dmora

dmora Guest

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond70/ has a list of retailers.

I was going to get mine at either http://www.macmall.com or TriState, though i have a suspicion TriState is selling either a grey market or the body only for 1199. :squint:

19. fade

fade tie your shoe bitch

ill probably get it from cameraworld or bhphoto. ive done a lot of business with both of them.

20. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

Well, the VR cost about 10X more than the DL, and I think the VR is worth every penny.

Initially I was talking about Sigma 70-300mm APO Macro Super 2, which is a decent lens for the money, and the Nikon 70-300mm ED. I won't even consider the DL for a second.

Frankly, the performance of my D70 is way beyond my expectation, and I think it really deserves a nice lens. So, that get me start thinking about the VR. I can't afford one at this point, but I am thinking if I should just save up for the VR, or get some thing like the Nikon ED or Sigma APO 70-300mm for now, and slowly save up for the VR.

Eventually the VR is what I want to have.

The Sigma 50-500 idea is just an idea after all, but I think instead of spending money on the 2X teleconvertor, a 170-500mm Sigma lens is more like it. But VR first

I am not very demanding as far a ultra-telephoto goes, 70-200 matter more to me. I would like to have the ability go beyond that, but I am willing to settle for less quality with the amount of budget I have. I am aware of the trade offs, and frankly, with my budget, I ain't get anything amazing for 200mm+. The VR is a worth investment to me, but seriously considering the Sigma 70-200 as an alternative.

Sorry that I kinda hijacked the thread dmora... :hs:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2004
  21. Hua

Hua AZN photographer crew

I do all my shopping with B&H Photo/Video.
    Except for my memory cards, buy.com has some good deals. :)

22. elmie

elmie New Member

Are you saying the D70 has less noise at IS0 400 and beyond, compared to the 300D?
    Every single review has said otherwise. Time and time again, it has been proven that Canon's CMOS sensor has less noise than Sony's CCD. The only real bad thing about the D70 is the fact that it only goes down to ISO 200.

Which ever route you go, you are dedicating yourself to a SLR camera system. Lenses last forever, the body can always be replaced. I myself use the Canon 10D. My lenses have surpressed the cost of the body by atleast 3 times.

Don't forget to get a good external flash. The internals are a complete joke.

23. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

I don't have a good set of picture to compare side by side between the D70/300D at high ISO. But from what I have seen, I like the image of the D70 between ISO200-400. I can tell you that I won't use the ISO1600 setting on my D70 unless I REALLY HAVE TO. I tried it, and I think the picture is pretty noisy. From the pics from dpreview, I think the 300D is doing better at ISO1600. But I think this is rather subjective.

As far as system goes, well I think Canon has a better lens selection, hands down. :wtc:

The internal flash is a joke, but it's better than nothing for now. I an leaning toward getting a cheap ass telephoto lens for now, and save up for either the VR 70-200 or the Sigma 70-200. Because, it will be a while til I can afford one, and bad picture is better than no pictures at all.

The 300D IMHO is a excellent choice as well. Because you can build up a good lens selection with it. Now, any D-SLR body today is gonna be pretty low tech 3-5 years later. But by then, the lens won't have improved as much. So, I think lens selection is a more important factor than the D-SLR body.

Yet I still choose the D70, for many reasons...