A&P i'm really impressed with the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L ... any opinions?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by ace3, Mar 16, 2007.

1. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

it's at the top of my price range, but should fill the need for a good zoom pretty well.

how important is IS if i don't normally shoot with a tripod?

otherwise, i'm thinking at the opposite end of the spectrum ... 10-22mm. pretty much the same price.

lots of landscape photos, but being able to zoom would be great. however, i can see the desire for a really wide lens too

2. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

only real advantage I see to IS is shooting sports, or lowlight situations, wich you won't be doing with f/4 anyway.....

tough decision between that and a good WA lens... just decide which one you think you'll use more.

3. mojito

mojito New Member

actually IS is worthless for sports, you need a fast enough shutter speed to stop action which will stop camera blur too

The f/4 IS is a gem of a lens, and IS comes in handy mroe often that not, but it depends on how you shoot. My tripod stays in the bag 99% of the time, so IS is a must, but I have different needs than many others.

4. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

seeing as how i'm just starting out, i have no idea what my needs are.

why is picking out a lens so difficult? :uh:

i can definitely see a good use of both a really wide lens, as well as something that zooms this much. I guess most of the shots I'll really want to keep will be outdoor landscapes, and probably some shots from the racetrack (cars). All of this is for personal enjoyment, nothing will be sold for $$ (unless someone has too much $$ to begin with).

5. Liddy

Liddy Not enough cowbell.

If you're only starting out, shelling out on such an expensive lens might not be so wise. :dunno: You're probably better off figuring out exactly what you're going to be photographing first, and then purchase accordingly.

6. ohknaks

ohknaks New Member

I just got a 70-200 F/4L. I haven't used it a whole lot, but from what I've taken with it, I'm pretty impressed.

7. NJGuy

NJGuy "Fuckmefuckmefuckmefuckmef uckmefuckmefuckmefuckm OT Supporter

What lens do you have so far?

the 70-200 shoots amazing photos.
    I plan to get one myself one day.

Will 200 meet you reach requirments?
    The 100-400 might be worth saving up for if not.

8. sony

sony Active Member

IS usually only helps if you're shooting still objects. :io: Even with mode 2 or whatever, most photogs I shoot with turn IS off when they're panning.

9. sony

sony Active Member

If you're going to be shooting daytime motorsports, check out the Sigma 100-300 f/4. You will enjoy the reach. :eek3:

10. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

i won't enjoy the pricetag. :rofl:

11. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

i have the kit lens and a 50mm (1.8?).

12. Torps

Torps New Member

It's a great lens.. tack sharp, "L" lens contrast. I have the non IS version and it's hard to hand hold steady in the long end. I always have to prop it or myself on something and then take tons of shots, half are usually blurry. Might upgrade to the IS.

13. NJGuy

If I were you id drop the kit lens and put the money into a decent walk around lens. The Canon 17-55 f2.8 or the Tamron 17-50 f2.8.

Upto you tho. Either way works.

14. nicklk

nicklk New Member

I have the 70-200 f4L as well, and I LOVE it....and I am a beginner too

15. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

You can't keep a 200mm lens still? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

16. Frank N. Beans

Frank N. Beans I hate BMW's OT Supporter

I was just going to get the 70-200 f2.8 IS, but after reading mixed opinions on people with my style of shooting......I have opted for the f4 non-IS. I figure I'll get one, and shoot with each of my styles and make a decision based on that. I know that it will not be hard to sell it if I choose to go IS and or f2.8.

FWIW I primarily shoot racing: from NHRA, to local test and tune, down to RC racing. I had great luck with my shitty plastic bodied Sigma 70-300 f4-5.6......just looking for something sharper and quicker. :x:

17. ohknaks

ohknaks New Member

I also looked into the 100-400 F/4.5-5.6L but didn't like the push/pull zoom or the extra weight. Supposed to be a sharp lens though.

18. sony

sony Active Member

Get it used for $600. :eek3:

19. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

where are the good joints to buy used equipment?

20. mooredodge

mooredodge 3,2,1 I'm the bomb...and I'm ready to go off in yo

I have the non-is version, and I love it. I almost always use it with a tripod though, because I shake like a mofo, in part due to shooting thus far in below freezing temps. Hopefully I'll be able to handhold it a little better once it warms up a tad and I get chance to shoot again. Anyway, the only thing I wish it had more of was reach, but that's something I knew when I bought it.

21. sony

sony Active Member

www.fredmiranda.com - Fred's forum used to pretty much be the hot spot for used Canon equipment. There are a lot of pixel peepers and collectors there who love selling and trading gear, so at any given time you could find exactly what you wanted to buy. A couple weeks ago Fred started to charge money to post listing on his site ($25/yr?) and things have slowed down considerably. Things will either pick up as people begin to pay money to post items, or the B&S forum will die down. Right now it is kind of slow, but it seems to be picking up a little.

http://www.dgrin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36 - Dgrin is a lot smaller forum, but a lot of FM refugees seem to be hopping over to it. The B&S is pretty slow, but it might be good to monitor it in case a good deal comes up. The market value of items at dgrin seems to be slightly lower then FM too.

eBay - To be honest, I do not recommend buying lenses from eBay. Usually you don't get everything that is advertised, and if you do the peons who bid on eBay stuff always push it to near retail value. (for example, I have sold a 50mm f/1.8 for $110 shipped on eBay :ugh:) What eBay is good at though is smaller items like accessories. Lens caps, filters, eye cups, etc.

Other places you can look for used gear:
    keh.com
    BH photo

Buying used is a great way to try out new lenses for extended periods of time. It might also be a good idea to rent a lens to see if you'll like it, depending on how expensive your local rental place is too. (there are also online rental places you can go to) A good idea for buying in the used market imo is to search old listings, monitor new listings and figure out where the market value is. Find a local or reliable seller and buy his/her lens at below market value, that way when you decide you want to keep it you'll have gotten a good deal. If not, you can sell it above market value and make a little money or at the very least, not lose any. :eek3:

22. projectalpha

projectalpha 二號 Stunna

I have the 24-70 f2.8L and the 70-200 f2.8 L IS. They're both great lenses and cover the ranges I need. I think you should at least go for the f2.8.

23. cftofu2k

cftofu2k OT Supporter

i have the f/4 non-IS version and it is nice. i didnt want to spend 1k on the IS without having any experience with a telephoto.

24. NJGuy

I personally dont think IS is "needed" for the 200mm.
    would opt for non IS for less.

Now the 100-400 i can see how handy it would be.

25. Ballast

Ballast Cold Heartless Bastard

I was going to get the 70-200L f4... but when I got to the store I tried the Sigma 70-200 EX HSM DG Macro f2.8 and fell in love...

so I spent twice as much on it :(