SRS I'm ready to stop smoking weed. (for real this time)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by R KriLLz, Nov 12, 2005.

1. R KriLLz

R KriLLz Uncomfortable in my own skin.

where do i start??

I've been smoking weed for about 6 years... every day for about 3. It was fun for some time, but it's starting to ruin my life. I have absolutely no motivation (doing horrible with school and hobbies), my mind is just not in a good place generally, i have a wicked smoker's cough, and i have no regular social life. The only time i hang out with people or go out.. i'm getting high. I can't seem to have fun doing "sober-stuff", which scares me. I'm a smart guy, and I hate the fact that I'm squandering my potential.

I've tried quitting since the beginning of this year... can't last more than 2 weeks. The withdrawl isn't THAT bad compared to other drugs... but anyone that tells you there is no physical addiction can lick my balls. I lose my appetite, get headaches, insomnia, feel stressed, etc.

The main reason I can't quit, is the fact that the withdrawl gets in the way of my day-to-day life. Not falling asleep til' 6am nightly takes it's toll on you when you work and go to school. I also can't quit because I have some really good friends that i hate to admit are bad influences. don't know how to handle them.

so i'm wondering if anyone can:
    *share their experiences with this.
    *reccomend ways to quit
    *reccomend ways to ease withdrawl

thanks in advance.

2. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Good post, it's thorough. I can relate to everything that you are talking about, I had pretty strong withdrawl symptoms when quitting smoking weed as well. Here are several suggestions I have for you.

1. Attend a Narcotics Anonymous meeting. Plenty of people who go to NA meeting's "drug of choice" is indeed weed. Actually the meeting I went to on Thursday, the main speaker and couple of other people mentioned this. They started with Marijuana Anonymous, and eventually realized they were just as welcome in Narcotics Anonymous. The reason for this is NA is about addiction, not the variety of drugs we used.

2. The only way to quit in my opinion is cold turkey. The first few days will likely be the roughest. Also, don't hang out with your friends that smoke weed, especially during the first week. You can decide how to approach the situation later, but for now just stay away from them and don't answer the phone when they call.

3. The absolute best way to ease withdrawl is to exercise. Start running and lifting weights. Tire yourself out, and you will be hungrier and it will be much easier to sleep. Head over to the F&N forum and learn a little bit about lifting and start doing it. Join a gym with the money you save on not buying weed anymore. Running will help a great deal as well, and it's free.

One more thing, the text under your avatar says "Uncomfortable in my own skin," which is very characteristic for addicts. I must say that for me, working the 12 steps of Narcotics Anonymous eventually allowed me to feel comfortable in my own skin MOST of the time. The uncomfortableness still comes back occasionally, but it's rare. As long as I get enough food, rest, and recovery, I'm usually ok and happy.

3. Jam_Master_J

Jam_Master_J New Member

I was a hardcore pot smoker in high school like yourself. If your anything like I was your going to have to separate and differentiate between your "pot smokeing friends" and your real ones.

I quit without attending any bullshit classes. Withdraw is more mental then physical, but as long as you want to quit you will. I did it any many others have as well. Once you quit and your resin clogged brain returns to normal you will feel like a new person. good luck

4. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

That's great that you quit on your own, without any help, but this forum is primarily dedicated to proviuding help to those who are have an addiction strong enough that they cannot quit on their own.

Please don't make comments like "without attending any bullshit classes," especially if you are referring to 12-step meetings and mislabeling them as classes. It doesn't hurt to have a support group either way, I know I wouldn't have as many friends who don't use any drugs or alcohol if I didn't go to meetings.

5. Esp69st

Esp69st Who's talking about OIL... bitch you cooking

Your very strong person, I can see the in you. it takes alot for someone to admit to things and even more if they want to change them. you are in the right track with a good start. now is time to seek for professional help so go ahead and do so.

good luck to you man.. wish you the best.

6. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

Can the people who have stopped smoking weed please tell us how they feel different. I too am on my 2nd day of quitting weed and cigs and this 'clearness' of mind people mention is my primary motivation to stop.

Thanks!

7. h0tw3ts1ut

h0tw3ts1ut New Member

I know when I was smoking constantly, there were times, especially when I was reading, when I felt sort of dull. I don't feel reborn for having stopped, but I feel like I've "got it back" (I like the thread starter am a so-called "good student," national merit scholar, that stuff, and for a while I was truly scared I'd never get my motivation back.

Whoever reccomended running was right on. That's what I did too, and it was the only thing that got my appetite up and made me feel better. If you can get up the motivation to go every other day for a week, and then every day the next week (to phase in your body), wait till the second week to kick the weed, you will hardly notice what your mind is tricking you into thinking is a physical addiction.

Also, DON'T have an I'm quitting smoke-off. That shit will have you back on it in no time. Giving whatever you have left away to one of your pot-smoking friends that you actually care about will free you from the temptation to start up again, and help to ease any tension with that person in the early going. Some people on here might question that tactic, but it helped me enormously.

8. selfpollution

selfpollution New Member

weed is the only thing i never had any problem quitting, i really don't understand addiction to it, maybe it yielded different results for me?

9. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

What's not to understand? Addiction is a disease and any drug addict can be addicted to any drug that alters mood and mind.

I had trouble quitting when I was smoking daily. Once stopped for more than 2 days, I could stay quit until I needed my "medicine" to recover from hard drug and alcohol usuage. It's just the deadly cycle of addiction that manifests itself in different ways in different people's lives.

10. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

I don't know who would question that tactic. That's what I did, I was dealing at the time actually and I just hooked people up with really good deals and gave some away. Then I stopped selling, and continued not using and going to meetings. I wouldn't recommend continuing to sell after smoking, I did it for like a few days to get rid of the rest of the weed and pay off my debts, but I was lucky I stayed clean for those couple days.

11. R KriLLz

Thanks for the input guys, i appreciate it all.

Well, I've still been smoking every day since I initially posted. If I stopped smoking, I would have never made it to class with the kind of sleep I would have been getting. Though weed made me do abysmal this semester anyway.

I find myself in a vicious cycle where I'm at right now... so I decided that when this semester is over, I'm going to train for about 4 months (cardio mostly) and then join the air force. It's something I wanted to do after college, but i figure getting that done before my history degree would be a smart move anyway. I could come back to finish college more mentally-disciplined.

eligh, though my addiction is very strong, and meetings would probably help, the fact that gas is so expensive is what would keep me from going. I feel cofident in my plan, and I think it will work. heheh, detox via military.

I just kind of accepted defeat this semester and can't wait for it to be over so i can cut my losses and rebuild myself to what i once was. I'll keep ya'll posted.

thanks again.

12. joonboy

joonboy thanks jennipher

Listen to me right now.

Quit. Don't look back.

To help with your appetite and insomnia, take MELATONIN. You can look up as much as you can on it, but it's a supplement you can find at any pharmacy, vitamin shop, etc. It's a hormone produced naturally in your brain that regulates a variety of things, most importantly your circadian rhythm (night/day sleep cycle). In my opinion, taking 1 MG (important) of melatonin a night can offset the negative effects of smoking marijuana.

13. R KriLLz

Not that I think insomnia is a disease or anything... but you could say I have suffered from it for a loooong time.

Melatonin did not work... everything i tried didn't work. I refuse to take prescription drugs because they are the same as illegal drugs in my mind. thats actually one of the main reasons i got hooked. I found weed was the only thing that helped me sleep.

14. selfpollution

selfpollution New Member

I think melotonin is good advice, people quitting marijuana usually complain of sleep problems and appetite/stomach stuff. Less is more with that stuff too, the 1mg works better and healthier that 3mg.
    I have insomnia too. I've tried everything and the only thing that honestly helps is excercise, don't drink caffeine in the evening, and maybe drink that sleepytime tea with the valarian root in it.
    Melotonin helps too, but you don't want to take it forever.

15. joonboy

joonboy thanks jennipher

Melatonin does more then help, it actually boosts your melatonin production levels and restores them to the proper "more when its dark out and less when its light out" that humans were bound to for thousands of years

That will automatically boost your appetite, youll find yourself hungry in the morn, hungry during the day and hungry at night.

Don't take melatonin for 2 weeks or more

16. slfmade

slfmade New Member

i smoked everyday for 6 months, sometimes me and a friend would go thru an eighth a day, thinking back i have no idea how we were able to afford that with no jobs smoking $25-60 worth of weed a day but we did it. for 6 months my life revolved around smoking weed, i would have to do it to do day to day things just cuz it was 'better' that way. i was arrested on august 8, 2005 for dui, poss of marijuana, poss of paraphanalia, poss of false identification documents. the marijuana found was 3 roaches, not even able to be smoked anymore with mostly charred weed, the paraphanalia was a pack of zig zags. now i dont agree with those charges, i could not have harmed myself or anyone else with what was found, and i have other opinions about weed and the law, but thats beside the point.
    im now on diversion for 1 year which includes regularly attending outpatient substance abuse treatment(just like AA except not called AA) and AA meetings(just like the other classes) i also am on color code.
    the only reason i quit smoking was because i had to because of my color code but when i quit i quit cold turkey, i still hang out with the same people, they still smoke weed, but they dont do it as often and not once since ive quit have i been tempted to smoke. i remember what it was like, i loved it, but at some point you have to move on.
    since ive quit smoking i now am 100 times more efficient and im not so lazy, i can no think clearer and i remember things, my life isnt just a purple haze anymore.
    i still do everything that i did when i smoked, just without smoking, its still enjoyable, i still love listening to phish, the doors, grateful dead, string cheese, michael franti, all kinds of jam bands and stuff i just do it sober.
    i quit cold turkey, and i would tell anyone if it is really tempting, just dont hang out with people who are smoking, spend more time with yourself and just keep your distance for a while but let them know what you are doing, and if they dont support you, than they arent even your friends. all of my friends supported me when i quit and they didnt smoke a bunch around me at first, now its fine and i can watch everyone else in the room get high except me and im fine with that. once you come to control yourself, you will be so much happier

p.s sorry for it being so long

17. R KriLLz

also...

also, this doesnt happen to me.. but my friend was dying to get some input on if anybody had MAJOR appetite loss if they didn't smoke. he wakes up at 8am to go to school, and doesnt get hungry till 8pm at least... if he doesnt smoke. if he eats, he gets nauseous. sucks.... what do ya'll think?

18. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Start exercising and stop smoking dank, eventually he will return to normal like everyone else. Oh yeah, and go to a meeting.

19. SurffyZukki

SurffyZukki New Member

my experience

I've "quit" numerous times only to find out that I just start up at the next party I go to. I don't know what it is, but it seems that everyone I meet smokes. Like the originator stated, I lost so much motivation, I don't feel as smart as I used to, and my social life has suffered so much - I don't have any of the physical symptoms of not sleeping or having weird eating habits. I have quit for weeks or months (only once) at a time and then I get myself out of my rut and go be social, and I only make stoner friends. And then I'm right back to smoking regularly again. One of my friends has successfully quit and still hangs out with us regularly, but he was able to quit while he was at school with a bunch of friends who didn't smoke. I feel bad because my "best" friends are total smokers and I'm the one that introduced them to the substance. I don't want to stop hanging out with them because I have so many great experiences with them and whenever I quit they never pressured me, they just stopped inviting me to hang out when they were going to smoke - which was most of the time... So I'm curious, where can I find information about local MA or NA meetings that I might be able to attend and make friends that are at least trying to quit smoking?

20. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Check the sticky entitled "Where do I get help?" If that fails, which it shouldn't you can use www.google.com or IM me

AIM = animalholie

21. Sooka

Sooka New Member

Even though I still smoke weed every now and then, I have quit being a pothead and I don't look back at the times that I've smoked multiple times a day. The best thing about when you have finally quit is the way you can think so much more clearly and feel so englightened. Thinking in general begins to feel so much easier when you're completely off it. You begin to realize how fogged up your mind has been when you have been always stoned and how hard it was to actually think and learn compared to when you're completely sober. It's like taking a huge amount of weight off your shoulders, except you take it off your brain.

22. arpz

arpz New Member

I just finished a horrible semester as well, it might have been 'cause of weed, but it defintley wasn't the only reason. I reached a phase during college, especially when I started selling, where I would wake and bake a dutchmaster to the head EVERYDAY. Whenever I smoke now, it's usually with friends and we're just hanging out and talking; we would probably do the same if we were drinking. The main reason I see it is as a problem is because I'm doing it since I'm bored. This new year I haven't smoked in the past 2 days. I have been having a hard time going to sleep but I've been running and exercising a lot.

I'm not addicted to marijuana at all, since I'm stopped whenever I wanted to. Also I never smoked too much, i.e. multiple times a day. I've never had cravings to be high either - more like "damn I'm bored, I could smoke an L and read a book or play some xbox".

Here are some real world things I've done when I take a break from the herb:

- Sleep problems: jerk off before going to bed - gets you tired and it's fun. Also eat before going to sleep - unhealthy but it works. Of course, as mentioned, exercise.

- Appetite problems: take vitamins, drink lots of water (force yourself), exercise, this will flush your body. The first week is the worst after that it's smooth sailing.

- Read: I realize that many people are addicted to weed and many people aren't. This primarily stems from different genetics we all have. Many of us have an obsessive personality. Therefore, I started reading a lot, and pursuing a lot of hobbies.

- Don't blame weed: Don't run away from problems. I also found myself (during my "pothead" phase) getting high when I had a lot of stress and problems. This is the worst thing you can do. I look at it like this: say I missed a class because I smoked up, consequently I did bad on a test. I didn't do bad on that test because I smoked weed. I did bad on that test because I didn't go to class - thus I shouldn't have smoked. My real reason for smoking was to avoid going to class. This might seem like convoluted logic to you, but it was my certain case.

Substituting with drinking: DON'T DO THIS. The first few nights cold turkey, I was drinking with friends, mostly beer. Then the next few nights I had a beer by myself... and the cycle began. A drug is a drug. Everything is straight in moderation.

Finally - you may or may not agree with my opinion but I really disagree with cold turkey apporach to stopping anything. If you quit weed cold turkey, and you spend your life avoiding it, you are scared of it and in a sense you let it control you. However, if you can demonstrate discipline and will power and use it in moderation for its positive effects then only have you mastered the herb.

Best of luck to you man, I was in the same position. My current status is definitley still a pothead to all the lames that don't know me very well. However, I smoke approximately a gram a week on average. I also take a clean break every other week so it doesn't saturate in my system, and I can pass drug tests.

23. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

This is faulty logic, besides the fact that it's gramatically incorrect. Cravings are very subjective, the concept of "too much," is also subjective.

This is fine for people who have the ABILITY to moderate drug usuage. However, you are forgetting about all the drug addicts of the world like me who have lost the ability to moderate. It will never come back for us, no matter how hard we try.

Not to mention most drugs don't have that many positive effects even when used in moderation. We don't need to "master the herb," quitting cold turkey is perfect for addicts like us.

Once again, this is druggie logic. The rest of what you had to about quitting was pretty good advice, maybe you should try and be completely clean for a few weeks and unlock your true potential.

24. 311-420

311-420 New Member

I have smoked for 5 years and probably every day for the past 4 of them. Like a lot of people on here, I've quit for a few days and/or months and then turned right back around and picked it up again. When I quit i find it hard to eat in the mornings and at dinner time, only around lunch time can I stand to eat something. The longest I've quit is 60 days(about this time last year). I remember my mind being WWAAAAY sharper and being able to see things that seemed so obvious that I couldn't when I was smoking. I've been clean only a few days now, but since I'm back in school it makes it easier for me because now I have something that I'm committed to.

To help get off the bud- I recommend quitting cold turkey, that's the ONLY way that I am able to do it. The other best way is to get a girlfriend who doesn't smoke and let her "take care" of you.

good luck everybody who's attempting to straighten out their lives! we can do it!

25. skillfull87

skillfull87 New Member

I also quit. I smoked all the fuckin time, and I thought it was all good, but I didn't even know what it was like to think clearly. What helped me a lot was to find a passion. Although I realize you may never read this, it helps to find something your passionate about like rock climbing, bike riding, music playing, sports etc. so that you can fill the holes in your life that you using weed to fill. I picked up physical activity, playing guitar and working, and I really don't ever want to go back to it, as I know it will be hard to not, I know that I don't want to, and thats farther along the road then I have ever been.