MIL I'm reading "Generation Kill" right now -by Evan Wright- damn what a great book.-Iraq

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Ramses, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Ramses

Ramses Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to ki

I picked it up a few weeks ago in book sale and when I caught the train down the coast over the weekend I started reading it and couldnt put it down. Great book and very well written. Here I will post the sinops of it but anyone that wished to get an honest and straightforward acccount on how things were out there then pick up this book. [​IMG] [​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/042520040X/qid=1123042940/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/102-0625069-2147328?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

"Wright rode into Iraq on March 20, 2003, with a platoon of First Reconnaissance Battalion Marines—the Marine Corps' special operations unit whose motto is "Swift, Silent, Deadly." These highly trained and highly motivated First Recon Marines were the leading unit of the American-led invasion force. Wright wrote about that experience in a three-part series in Rolling Stone that was hailed for its evocative, accurate war reporting. This book, a greatly expanded version of that series, matches its accomplishment. Wright is a perceptive reporter and a facile writer. His account is a personality-driven, readable and insightful look at the Iraq War's first month from the Marine grunt's point of view. It jibes with other firsthand reports of the first phase of the Iraqi invasion (including David Zucchino's Thunder Run), showing the unsettling combination of feeble and vicious resistance put up by the Iraqi army, the Fedayeen militiamen and their Syrian allies against American forces bulldozing through towns and cities and into Baghdad. Wright paints compelling portraits of a handful of Marines, most of whom are young, street-smart and dedicated to the business of killing the enemy. As he shows them, the Marines' main problem was trying to sort out civilians from enemy fighters. Wright does not shy away from detailing what happened when the fog of war resulted in the deaths and maimings of innocent Iraqi men, women and children. Nor does he hesitate to describe intimately the few instances in which Marines were killed and wounded. Fortunately, Wright is not exposing the strengths and weaknesses of a new generation of American fighting men, as the misleadingly hyped-up title and subtitle indicate. Instead, he presents a vivid, well-drawn picture of those fighters in action on the front lines in the blitzkrieg-like opening round of the Iraq War. "

2. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Very cool. I just added it to my wish list. :bigthumb:

3. Ramses

It's a badass book. :cool: Let Me know what you think of it when your done.

4. Ranger-AO

That's how I read most of my sci-fi books. I download 'em to my PDA. I have a good dozen or so on there right now that I haven't started reading yet, and probably 20 or so on my PC that I've read.

Books and Calendar/Contacts are pretty much all I use my PDA for nowadays. Good stuff. :wiggle:

5. Ranger-AO

TONS of free books here: http://www.baen.com/ or http://www.baen.com/library/
    Baen cycles a lot of their older sci-fi books through the free downloads section on a monthly basis. Check back each month to see what they have available. They also give you first shot at new books that haven't been printed yet.

No free books here, but it's my main source for purchasing ebooks: http://www.fictionwise.com/
    It looks like they are going to have a 25% off sale for their sci-fi books next week.

6. James Williams

James Williams New Member

Yeah I read that book a while ago and I still recommend it to all my friends that I know have a strong stomach.

His writing is awesome.

One of the things I enjoyed most was, as his title somewhat implies, his view into the psyche of the American fighting men.

The odd homosexuality was something I didn't entirely expect to come from such a masculine group but I guess it is just one of the ways of them coping with the situation.

Definitely an awesome book that I recommend to anyone interested in our soldiers today.

7. Shiver

Shiver New Member

I read this book for a class, but only read half of it because I had other books to read for that class, but definitely an awesome read. I usually don't finish my books.

8. Ramses

I dont know about the homosexuality your talking about- but there is always joking going on and such calling each other fags and homo's but it's like anything when you get a bunch of guys together especially a close nit group your going to get the joking going on. But I think you need to be clearer because I think you might be mistaking it with a different book. :dunno: There is no actual gay shit in the book. It's honest and violent and unforgiving. Great read.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2005
  9. mongorunner

mongorunner New Member

DO WHAT?!!?!:wtf:

im cracking open "Shooter" tonite the autobiography of Gunnery Sgt. Jack Coughlin (the top ranked sniper of the USMC)

hope its good:x:

10. Ranger-AO

Please don't tell me if he's gay. :mamoru:

11. Been on my Amazon Wish List for awhile. :o

12. Ramses

Have you read "Marine Sniper: 93 Confirmed Kills : The True Story of Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock. " Fucking badass book. :cool:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0938936956/qid=1123122849/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i2_xgl14/102-0625069-2147328?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

I've got it in pdf somewhere at home still. :dunno: One of My favorite books. Carlos was just a machine.

13. mongorunner

mongorunner New Member

no i haven't:hs: honestly im just now getting into reading....:mamoru:

if you can find the PDF zip it and send it please:x:

14. mongorunner

mongorunner New Member

i have 2 books waiting to be read after this one.... "None Braver" and "That Others May Live"

i like reading so far:embd:

15. James Williams

16. TheNewMonaro

TheNewMonaro New Member

:werd:

17. Etherized

Etherized Active Member

Generation Kill is a badass book. Oh there aren't any gay Marines or anything like that. I think what was refered to was the way the men interact, calling each other fags, homos etc. No suprise really.

By the way, tonight's episode on "Over There" was ripped straight out of the book at the roadblock scene where the little girl gets her brains blown out. Kinda lame that it was lifted straight from the book. Anyone notice that?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2005
  18. mongorunner

mongorunner New Member

never read the book but did see the tV series...

and i thought "fag" "queer" and "homo" were just one of the names you called your friends/associates :dunno:

19. James Williams

Yeah that's what I meant, I should have been more specific.

20. Ramses

Yeah no problem- Send Me a pm with your email and I will send it. :cool: Anyone else just do the same. Such a fucking cool book- one of My favorites.

21. Ramses

never too late to start- when your done with those and you want some more just let Me know.