I'm re-thinking Saturns...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by RyRy, Jun 27, 2008.

1. RyRy

RyRy Active Member

I just found a 08 Aura XE v6 with 10k miles for $13000 :eek3: A dealership I know just bought a shit load of 08 Saturns and are selling them hella cheap.

Too bad the only Sky Redlines they have are (2) yellow and (1) black... :wtc: only asking 24k... :eek3:

Why is the Vue only rated at 22mpg highway :ugh:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  2. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

The VUE is very heavy and it's actually a Daewoo, avoid it.

The Astra and Sky are big wins though. I can't beleive someone already put 10k miles on one.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Top Gear reviewed a Vauxhall Astra, which iirc is the same as the Opel Astra, which is what GM used for the Saturn Astra....

Anyway, long story short, Clarkson said it was absolutely one of the worst chassis he has ever come across. He said it was really quick, but that the trade-off for all the speed was "catastrophic understeer". He did a 3-way with the Ford Mondeo and Mazda6. Overall he said the Mondeo is what he'd take home, but the Mazda was very close 2nd.

Considering we don't get the Mondeo in the states, you're better off with the Mazda.

I do like the look of the Astras, tho.

4. RyRy

RyRy Active Member

Out of the Astra's they have I love the Blue 3 door, however it doesn't have a moonroof, and the one that's equipped exactly the way I want has two downsides: manual and Black paint :wtc: However only having to finance 7k towards a brand new 08 Astra XR is tempting. (13k - 6k trade)

5. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Here's Clarkson's Sunday Times review.

http://forums.offtopic.com/showpost.php?p=84382410&postcount=16

Dan Neil

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=3834601

And Edmunds

http://forums.offtopic.com/showpost.php?p=92091916&postcount=172

I think Top Gear reviewed the turbocharged Astra OPC/VXR which is not sold here. I hear the hot version does torque and understeer quite a bit.

I drove the Astra here back to back with the Civic, 3 and Rabbit. The Astra and Rabbit are very very similar and both a cut above the Japanese cars which seem cheap and floppy in comparison.

6. insomnia

insomnia New Member

really quick is NOT how i'd describe it. I think they run high 16 1/4's and feel even more slow. "Catastrophic understeer" is accurate though, the one i test drove would literally try drive off the road and kill itself when you got on the gas :ugh: Road noise was terrible too, overall I didn't like anything about the car really.

I think a better comparison would be to the ford fiesta, mondeo is a much different car... and we're getting the new fiesta in a couple years now. I liked the mazda6, but not the price or shitty warranty.

7. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

The vue is still a decent car

we have them in australia, they actually sell, which is odd.