I'm Quitting the Pill

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Tornado6, May 27, 2005.

1. Tornado6

Tornado6 When the wind set down in funnel form and pulled y

I've been on Ortho TriCyclen Lo for about a year and a half now. I am sick and tired of feeling like crap constantly. I was on Ortho TriCyclen before for a year, and I didn't feel quite as bad as I do now, but I didn't feel like myself either. My particular symptoms are anger, anxiety and depression. I know my Mom has always had trouble with hormornal birth control too.

I am going to finish this cycle, which thankfully ends this Sunday, then I am done. We are going back to condoms for a while, and I hope we'll eventually settle on a vasectomy, but the long term plan is still up in the air.

I went off of the pill once before, but it has been about ten years now, and I can't even remember which brand I was on back then. Ladies, what should I expect?

2. Ryuhei

Ryuhei Oh gawd

Probably less anger, anxiety and depression.

3. adiav

adiav Guest

For starters, talk to your doctor. There are a tonne of other pills (lower doses, etc) you can try before just going off it completely.

But if you do want to go off it completely, weight fluctuations, mood changes, and acne are three things I can think of off the top of my head. Each pill's different, so each set of side effects and thus changes when you go off it are different, because they react with everyone differently. Last time I personally went off the pill, my skin broke out like crazy, I got super tired, and I got migraines all the time (but I'm prone to them anyway, which is why I take it in the first place). But that's just me, and my pill.

The only real way to get specific about it is to ask your doctor what to expect if you go off it.

Good luck though, I know they - and our bodies - can be seriously fickle things.

4. chica&buddies

chica&buddies Active Member

:eek3: be extremely careful after you go off bc... i've heard that if you've been on for a long time and suddenly stop, it's extremely easy to get pregnant. i know you said you'd be using condoms, but just keeping ya aware :).

5. Tornado6

Tornado6 When the wind set down in funnel form and pulled y

I've spent more time off of the pill than on since I became sexually active. I can't wait to take my last pill tomorrow night.

Maybe someday I'll get my sex drive back, then I'll start to worry a little bit more about not making babies. :hs:

6. Elektra

Elektra New Member

reading this thread makes me glad i'm not on the Pill. No disrespect to you ladies...

7. darkrick

darkrick New Member

One of my friends switched to using Implanon after she went off the pill.
    She's been on it for 2 years and is yet to be feeling down or anything like that.

8. JustinH

JustinH New Member

if you go off the pill, then guys will go off of you.

Trust me, nobody wants kiddies.

Talk to your doc and see what can be done.

Message to the guys out there is to wear rubbers even if the girl is on the pill because you don't want to leave it up to her for the protection of not having kids.

9. Get your ass off that pill! It's the most horrible thing I've ever heard of. A man must of invented it. I dont like anything that artificially changes the flow of your body. Condoms and a copper T will suit me fine when I begin to have sex.

10. Yes have some!

Yes have some! Active Member

If its messing you up that bad...best to go off of it. Your man will just have to wrap up the cock.

11. AQT4u2NV

AQT4u2NV Guest

Expect a little bit of weight loss. At first you might experience some worse cramping, possibly a little bit of issues with acne, and for the first month or two...your hormones will be off balance. If you have an issue with hormonal birth control (like I do), I recommend you looking ino the Paragard, a non-hormonal IUD. Vasectomys are a rather permanent choice, while an IUD is effective for 10 years or until you get it taken out. Good luck!

12. Kinks

Kinks Sup. OT Supporter

By that logic a woman must have invented condoms.. because they remote 50-75% of the sensation :hs:

but really.. condoms were invented by men so we didn't have to put up with a woman just because we impregnated her :mamoru:

I do find myself wondering why IUDs aren't more popular...

13. Chrissy

Chrissy dnb doll

i got off the pill four months ago (after 6 years). i didn't have my period for two months and i lost 15 pounds. it was fucking awesome :hs:

i'll never go back on it, i was in a horrible mood all the time and hated the world for no reason. i just went off of it to see if that would ease my moods and it did significantly.

14. Chrissy

Chrissy dnb doll

they can actually have a long-term damaging effect. scar tissue can build up in your tubes and cause issues with pregnancy over time.

15. AQT4u2NV

AQT4u2NV Guest

They are much safer now. The Paragard is FDA approved and I haven't even heard of this being a side effect. There were some big issues with the Dalkon Shield in the 1970s, but I think all the problems have been worked out since.

16. I don't care who invented the condom just as long as it has no side affects to my body it's fine by me.

17. Kinks

Kinks Sup. OT Supporter

Some women (and men) have latex allergies. But I agree with you - I'm not a fan of things fucking up one's hormonal cycles. It's just difficult to reversibly alter your fertility without affecting anything else!

18. Big Red

Big Red New Member

actually an effect of the iud is it can pierce your uterus, causing a need for a hysterectomy, and it is very hard for a woman who hasnt already had children to have an iud. because after you have children your cervix is a bit bigger, making it easier for insertion and i believe your uterus is bigger after giving birth. And the kind of iud that has hormones is only good for 5 years, the copper one (the one with no hormones) i believe is good for 10 years.