GUN I'm Probably SOL, but lend me a hand anyhow

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by bigman7903, Oct 18, 2005.

1. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

ok, to make a long story short, they are building a new police station in town, and with that new station, they are putting in a pistol range. :p

the only catch is that lead isn't allowed at all, so i have to find decent ammo that is leadless, now i know the Remington UMC has leadless ammo, but i'm looking more into the .22 lines of ammo (cheaper plinking)

i hope you guys have a little bit better searching/memory than i do because i dont know of any leadless .22 ammo :x:

thanks for any help you can give me :wiggle:

2. RRTX

RRTX New Member

I've never seen any lead-free .22LR, I don't think there is a big enough call for them to produce it.

3. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

yeah, i havent either, just trying to keep my fingers crossed, i target shoot so i'm not a big fan of having to spend 10 bucks for a box of 50 (although thats not bad for cheapo leadless .38special) but if i want to get 200 rounds in thats 40 bucks an outing and being 18 thats a bitch:noes:

4. millero

millero Aluminum Member

why is having lead free bullets an issue for ranges? i understand waterfowl hunting but not for bullets that go through paper.

5. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

harder to clean up off the back stop, and 2 its not really healthy to be in a confined space w/ lead power in the air

6. millero

millero Aluminum Member

I can understand the clean up problems, but I can't see someone getting sick from breathing that little bit of lead.

7. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

what are you supposed to shoot then?

Do they really want to allow things like steel core ammo?

8. RRTX

RRTX New Member

Remington as well as some others now make "lead less" ammo. http://www.remingtonle.com/ammo/umc_leadless.htm

9. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

several companies like above, have replaced the lead w/ zinc or tin so it handles like lead but doesnt have the dangerous effects of lead

http://www.remington.com/NR/exeres/0000169arnfegvfaieeznzvo/RemArms+Rich+Product.asp?NRMODE=Published&NRORIGINALURL=%2fammo%2fumc%2fumc_leadless%2ehtm&NRNODEGUID=%7bE3AE666B-DBB3-4904-ADEE-41D583D7704D%7d&NRQUERYTERMINATOR=1&cookie%5Ftest=1
    http://www.kerambit.com.my/f5.phtml
    http://www.winchester.com/products/catalog/handgundetail.aspx?symbol=SC9NT&bn=9

i doubt they're really worried about the shooter (us) i bet they're more concerned about the guy that has to go in there multiple times a day to clean up brass, sweep/clean, and get the spend rounds, i would assume that after a while that would become dangerous not only to inhale the airborn lead, but also the constant physical contact with it on the skin, of course this i just my guess

Last edited: Oct 18, 2005
  10. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

nothin, thanks anyhow guys