im probably gonna get flamed for this...but o well

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by playafromthehymilaya, Jul 23, 2002.

1. riding a motorcycle: how do you change gears? is it with your foot? and while you change do you need to let off the accelerator?

2. Guest

Guest Guest

it's just like a car.

left handlebar is the clutch, pulling in is like pushing the pedal
    right " " is the front brake (or both if linked, or ABS)
    right foot pedal is the rear brake
    left foot pedal is the shifter
    right grip is throttle
    right grip has the starter, and kill switch

left grip is nothing
    has the headlight bright/dim turn signal, and horn

most bikes are 1 on the bottom, half click up is N, then 2,3,4,5,6 from bottom to top. It can be reversed and some people do, I prefer it 1 down 6 up personally

you can shift it without the clutch just like a car by rolling off the gas a tiny bit and nudging it up into the next gear, it's pretty smooth this way depending on the bike.
    Bike clutches are (generally, there are plenty of exceptions) wet, and share the same oil bath as the engine. I'm not sure how this compares to a car, aren't cars all dry clutches?
    some clutches are cable, and some are hydraulic (YZF750, and the aprilias are hydraulic, I prefer hydraulic, it's much more linear feeling than a cable, some people prefer cable)

otherwise to shift you clost the throttle, pull the clutch, slam it up, let out the clutch and hit the gas, just like a car.

downshifts you roll off, clutch, shift down, but open the throttle to "rev match" the engine before letting the clutch out, otherwise at high RPMs you can break the back tire loose and it wigles a little, it's also harder on the trans and clutch not to rev match.
    some bikes have a slipper clutch (aprilias do) that keeps the back tires from breaking loose on a downshift, the torquey v twin kinda needs it, I don't know of any other bikes that have that.

there are plenty of exceptions to everyting, the old british bikes are ass backwards, but most modern bikes are set up this way.

edit: for content and accuracy :p

3. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

:rofl:
    sorry

yes you shift wiht your foot the transmisons are sequentional sp? so you camnt skip gears 1-2-3-4-5-6
    you have to let off the gas and sometimes use the clutch i tend ot rmp match to shift but under load i need to clutch to shift my quad

4. Guest

Guest Guest

BTW there are no stupid questions. Ask all you got and learn right the first time.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

WTF? you can skip gears.
    is it good for the bike? not really. But I can click from 1st to 6th if I want to. It's narrow enough I could hit 80 in 2nd and go right to 6th if I wanted :dunno:

Oh I understand what you're getting at. Yes you have to click through the gear, but don't have to let the clutch out.

I forgot to mention in my first post, the shifter on a bike only has 3 positions, up, middle, and down.

you shift up, you click up once, then it goes back to middle, to shift down you click down once then back to middle. If you want to skip a gear just click up and back to middle, then up and back again :dunno:
    since there's no position indication like a car sometimes noobs have trouble with that concept, you have to remember where you're at :)

6. hey thanks for all the help man. its nice to find somebody on this website who is knowlegeable and doesnt act like a jack ass. appriciate it!:bigthumb: :bowdown:

7. could you explain "rev matching" a little bit more?:cool:

8. Guest

Guest Guest

sure, You probably do it in your car, it comes instinctively, when you down shift say you're in 6th at 5k RPM, you want to drop to 5th so you roll off, pull the clutch, downshift, then before you let the clutch out you rev the bike up to say 6k RPM for a smoother transfer, then let the clutch out. Otherwise the engine breaking can be enough to lose traction on the back, just like if you lock up the rear brake and it'll fishtail.. is it dangerous ehhhhhh IMO not really, if it hooks up sideways it can highside you... but it's never happened to me and I used to do it all the time learning. It's more of a coordination thing, you can start out just letting the clutch out slooooowwwly, then rev match when you're in a straight line once you get a little better, not braking, then do it when you're braking at the same time :)
    watch world SBK guys, they do it without even thinking, after some practice you will too.

I'll answer all the stupid questions in the world as long as people are willing to at least consider the advice. I don't have all the answers, but in most cases I've been there, it's best to learn from other's mistakes and not your own ;) Especially in a sport where mistakes cost lives.
    Too may noobs know better and HAVE to have a new gsxrfizzercbrninethousandninja no matter what other, more experienced riders have to say. Or what REEEEEALLY pisses me off is when they ask for advice, and either argue, or just totally disregard and do whatever moronic idea they had planned before.

This sport is in serious danger man, insurance is FUCKED UP because people go out, buy new 10k bikes, and total them in a week. They're out their first payment (maybe) and one month's insurance, and they're out of the sport. Leaving us long termers to pick up the tab with higher premiums. Sportbikes are kind of trendy right now unfortunately, I can see it on OT now vs. 2 years ago and over at SBN, it's getting worse.
    Either we have to take care of our own and sort of mentor the noobs, or the government is going to have to step in and regulate CC's like in Europe.

9. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

Dude, you really really don't need an R6 as your first bike. You will get yourself killed.

Read this....

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=82040

Here's my recommendation, you'd be very wise to listen to a rider who's been there and done that.

Since you're saving for your bike this is an ideal way for you to approach riding. When you reach $1500 in your motorcycle savings fund, go out and find a used "sporty" bike for about $1000 and buy it, use the rest of your money for gear and whatever maintenance the bike needs (tires, brakes, oil, chain, etc.).

I strongly recommend a Suzuki GS500E, perfect for a beginner. Not much power, very nimble, feels fast to somebody who hasn't been on a really fast bike, very easy to ride, and when you drop it (yes, you will drop it) you won't bust up a nice (expensive) fairing.

Now, you have a bike to learn on a lot faster than you would if you had waited to get an R6. You'll learn the basics of control and how to deal with traffic on a motorcycle. You can swear that you won't get on the throttle until you've been on it for a while, but that's complete bullshit. Even if you did manage to stay off the throttle the power can still get you into trouble quite easily in an emergency situation.

Then, when you've almost reached your goal for the R6 you've got some experience under your belt and a bike that you can easily sell for what you paid for it. Sell the bike and go get your R6.

I've been riding for years, and my last bike had a good bit more power than the one I have now, but my F4 still scares the shit out of me. If I wasn't careful I could easily be eating the triple clamp on a botched shift to second, or just coming off a light to hard with my weight on the wrong place.

Think about it, you're talking about buying a fully prepped racing bike as your first ride. All it would take is a couple free modifications and the thing would be a competition racer. It's not wise, and I really hate hearing about new riders getting hurt or killed, even if it was their own stupidity and carelessness that caused it.

10. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

um please explain how you get to 6th form second wiht out going threw 3-4-5 you might be able to pull up and not let off the clutch but you cant just jump a gear

11. Guest

Guest Guest

read my fucking post little boy

to quote myself

don't you have a motor to go destroy? or some English to learn?

12. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: guess what i jsut smoked my brand new motor blew the bottom of the case out now i see your post and btw you are still going into that gear your not skipping it

13. T-T

T-T Born Into Retirement

Periods - use them at the end of every point you make.

Aprilia, awesome info. I drove my Uncle's 25cc or 50cc bike the past winter, and I screwed up pretty badly. Ever since I've had the upmost respect for bikes and those who ride them. Hopefully I'll finally get on a bike and actually learn to ride.

14. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

how do you screw up a 25cc or 50cc bike thast samller than some chain saws(.) are you sure that you dont mean a 250 or 500cc bike

15. Guest

Guest Guest

god just go the fuck away kid. Come back when you're old enough to ride on 2 wheels.

16. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

what died up your ass damn dood i misread one of yoru posts get over it

17. idontgiveashit

idontgiveashit I eat rice

you may want to see what "kid that needs to go away" is the moderator in this forum is before you get lippy.

18. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

uh no hes not but i did bitch for a week when fazl delted it tillhe brought it back

19. Guest

Guest Guest

to be honest?
    you annoy the shit out of me. Drive Through.

20. Guest

Guest Guest

I guess readin' isn't one of the three R's in Iowa anymore huh?
    Both of you are from Iowa, coincidence? I think not.

21. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

He's dyslectic. I know you're a hardcore/elite flamer, but just try to be kind. ;)

22. Guest

Guest Guest

:spellcheck:

23. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

were cousins:o

24. car54

car54 Guest

Aprilia posts good honest helpful info, and flynfrog rambles on about crap and totally annoys everybody who completed english class in the 2nd grade with his horrible knowledge of the english language.

Flynfrog, can you please learn proper english and come back when you grow up? thanks.

25. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

put me on ignore oh wait you cant haha

if you dont wana read my psots dont read my posts its that easy