I'm probably better off paying the $200 for the tech, huh?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Playboy, Jul 6, 2003.

1. Playboy

Playboy Part time arrogant bastard

Err..not me, but my friend.

Well the story goes that he ordered SBC DSL for his pad. Everything's fine and dandy by which I help him set up, but the knucklehead forgets to add one minor but critical piece of information.

He has ADT Home Security. :(

I was wondering why no signal from the CO could be reached. Anyways, either ADT or SBC can come and put in a "DSL ALARM FILTER" on the phone box (which to me, translates to an RJ-31X), at the cost of $150-200.

My question is this: I've never done it before and have inspected the Networking box at his pad, so what would it be worth to any of us for a DIY?

I've seen SOME tutorials online that are "easy going" and the like, but it's not like I want to drop the signal and have rent-a-pigs squirming all over all the place.

What to do, what to do? Any idea guys? Pics can be provided if need be.

2. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

our dsl (telus) gives you dsl filters.

all you do is put them on the line b4 the phone.

its easy to do and save urself the money.

makesure u call ADT to tell them that u will be disconnecting the phone like at X time for X minutes.

3. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

You don't want to install an RJ31X..

RJ31X is a jack that should be inserted in the line between the CO and all the house phones. When nothing is plugged into the jack, the house-phones are simply connected to the CO line. (That's what the "shorting bars" do.) But when the security system is plugged into the jack, it is "inserted" into the loop and has separate connections to the inside phones and the CO line.

Basically the RJ31X interrupts the live line whenever the alarm is tripped. You could be talking on the phone, and if the alarm goes off it'll short the line and take over.

RJ31X should have nothing to do with DSL. Get the filter.

4. Mikel

Mikel .

I hate those things. :mad:

It will actually go off-hook if it detects a certain pattern of ring-voltage coming from the CO. It seems that no security company knows this. :mad:

5. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

:werd: :rofl: I hate RJ31X's (and any 'phone guy' will..) They are the devil as far as I'm concerned. :)