TAT I'm pretty sure I've decided on my next tattoo... v.pic

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Publius, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Publius

Publius carpe vaginum OT Supporter

[​IMG]

A little backstory ... The image is the brachial plexus nerve bundle, which links the arm to the spinal cord. During the birth of oversized babies occasionally (1 or 2 out of every 1,000 births) there is shoulder trauma that strains the brachial plexus to varying degrees, called brachial plexus palsy or erb's palsy.

This happened when I was born and I had a particularly bad case, roughly 90% of the nerve bundle was stretched beyond function or outright broken. As a result they couldn't really use microsurgery to repair it (and this was back in 1985, when microsurgery was much less common), and instead I've had a series of surgeries throughout my childhood to give me a little bit of function.

After probably 7 or 8 surgeries on my right arm, I can move my shoulder and lift my upper arm, but from the elbow down to my wrist is dead weight. In 2000 I had an experimental surgery where they moved some working nerves from my upper arm down into my hand and fused my wrist, which gave me the ability to open and close my fingers a little and grip small, lightweight objects between them.

All told, I have maybe 20% of normal touch sensation and maybe 15%-20% of normal motor control. I've had to adapt to life with only one useful arm (which isn't as hard as it sounds, since I never knew anything else), and I think I'm a better person for it.

Which leads to the quote, "adversity breeds strength" ... it isn't a direct quote, but it is basically a summation of much of the philosophical groundwork to the "will to power" espoused by Friedrich Nietzsche in Beyond Good and Evil ... one of my favorite works by one of my favorite philosophers. :o

I just need to find an artist that can stylize the nerve bundle without making it look cartoonish. :hs:

2. mavfan1

mavfan1 Active Member

i am all for the idea, but you can probably find a much better way to represent it graphically

3. Publius

Publius carpe vaginum OT Supporter

I have every intent of giving it to the artist and letting them run with it, the image is just a basic guide. Unfortunately there aren't very many images of the brachial plexus out there that are decent. :o

4. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

Look in a copy of a SERIOUS anatomy book. See if there's a better way to represent it, or picture it more realistically.

5. kai-li

kai-li New Member