GUN I'm picking up a P228 on saturday

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by jeepilot, May 3, 2006.

1. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

Called the gun store, had them put my name on it, and put it in the safe. Went to the sheriff's office and filled out the purchase permit. Going to pick up on saturday. It's a Sig 228, frame made in germany, 2 10 rnder mags, and a black case. Little holster wear, but looks to be fired prolly 200 or less times. Tag says 585, he said he'd take 540, but i'm still trying to get a deal. You think he'd take 540 out the door (540w/ sales tax)... or maybe ask to throw in a couple boxes of ammo. or is this too stingy/greedy? Well i'll post pics when i get it. i'm so happy:wiggle:

this is the gun i was talking about in my GF thread.

2. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

market value is what a reasonable seller and a reasonable buyer agree apon.

In other words it isnt going to hurt anything to try. Tell him all you have is 500 lay it on the counter and see what he says. Negotiations always go better when they are looking at the cash..

3. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

I just called again, and it's 565 out the door with tax. That's a reasonable price. I'm still going to ask for a free box of ammo, or prolly just the rest of the box from test firing it. That's the cool thing about this shop is they let you test fire the used guns before you buy. And most of their other prices are reasonable. They're the private gun shop that is slowly dissapearing across the country. I'll just buck up and pay the 565, which is still a decent price for such a hard to find pistol. I have a feeling that it's only going to go up in price since they stopped importing them, and sell only to LE/Gov't.

I'd lay that much on the counter to see if he'd take it, but most of it is going on a CC so it's hard to bargain that way. I'm just buying it now before it dissapears. It's the first on i've ever seen in person, and it's for a reasonable price. It fits my hand like a fucking glove. Like it was molded for my hand. Balance is perfect, and well it's a SIG so it's reliable and accurate.

4. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

They no longer import the 228?

5. jonny427

jonny427 Scooby Doo OT Supporter

Congrats man, 565 sounds like a fair enough deal

6. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

according to the guys over on sigforum, yes. Since the slides are made in Germany, they have to import them. It's cheaper to just make the 229. I don't know to 100% that they no longer import them, as i'm sure government contracts are still being filled, but the civilian market is drying up quickly. CDNN used to have P228's available, and now they have none. And since the market is drying up, i figure this is an investment.

7. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

well i guess i should bump this thread instead of making a new one.

I got the Sig 228 for like 565 w/tax. it was 540 without, and he threw in a free box of ammo (wwb marked at $9/box):ugh:... Overall i'm pretty happy with the gun, and it doesn't appear fired much at all, though it does have medium holster wear. I could have shot it before i bought it, but i didn't. I went home and fired it. Man, does this thing feel nice to shoot. Little recoil, balances well. I haven't done extended shooting to see how it shoots, but hey, it's a SIG.

When i took it home to dissasemble it the only thing, that worried me was that it appeared there was either rust or still packing grease on the inside of the slide. It came off pretty easy with CLP. What's teh easiest way to distinguish rust? Other than that, very little if any play in the slide to frame fit. I'm pretty satisfied. I'll get pics when i get time. Summer classes + Work ftl.

8. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

You shoot a gun at your house :noes:

9. luvitlo94

luvitlo94 Make a choice and don't look back.

:cool: Seems like a real good price.

10. Mint Berry Crunch

Mint Berry Crunch Active Member

The 228 is our duty weapon. The ones we have are pretty damn old. They're all made in West Germany, and the finish on all of them is fucked up. But they still fire great. I would like a brand new one though.

11. sprite

sprite Active Member

:cool:

$565 isn't a bad price... figure you're getting Sig quality, a gun that isn't available new any more, and supporting a local business. Sounds like a win/win.

12. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

Went to my parent's house really. It's out in the country and only shot 10 rnds through the mag. Merely a function test.
    well it appears after further inspection that there is quite a bit of rust on the front of the slide. Does anyone know the best way to get rid of this and seal it? Would it be worth it to have it sent to Sig and get coated in Nitrolon or something? I'll upload pics tonight, back to work i go.

13. Painkiller

Painkiller Sometimes remembering is better than forgetting

I'm glad I have mine, I bought it in january, new.

14. Keesh

Keesh New Member

My neibghor told me that when he was in college, him and his friends built a range in their basement :o