I'm out of Tarminator, IPA instead?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by MSIGuy, May 12, 2009.

1. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

So I'm out of Tarminator and need to get a crapload of bugs off the front of my car. I can't find Tarminator anywhere in town (not even Wal-Mart, they've always got it) so my question is will a 50/50 mix of IPA/H20 work? I guess the only other thing available to me is my Meg's APC, anyone used that sucessfully in removing bugs, if so what strength?

I'm not concerned about stripping the wax, it's summer, time to polish her out and throw a couple coats of #16 on there.

Any suggestions?

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

A bug pad (most auto parts stores have them) usually work well, haven't had any problems with them scratching the paint either. Any APC should work as well, just don't mix it too strong.

3. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

You mean those funky sponges covered in fishing net? I'd have figgured those would scratch the hell out of everything.

How strong do you recommend for the APC? 10:1 should be weak enough right?

4. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

Sounds about right on the APC...

For the record, I personally don't like the bug sponges; they don't scratch if used properly, but I'm a big fan of using a stronger solvent with a plain MF towel whenever possible. To me, it's a safer way to go as long as you know how to work with the particular solvent you choose, whether Tarminator, 3M Adhesive Cleaner, Goo Gone, or otherwise.

5. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

What's the proper way to use a strong solvent?

I've always just sprayed it on the MF, held the MF on the spot for a short while, rubbed gently, and rinsed with water making sure to avoid black trim.

That's all I'm needing to do right?

6. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

Yup, that's about it. I do sometimes spray an entire rocker with the solvent directly and use an MF towel to wipe it immediately thereafter, but that's only if it has a LOT of contaminant on it.