MIL I'm out for a while..

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by dmcgill, Jan 3, 2010.

1. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

Well, tomorrow morning I fly to Ft. Lewis in Washington and spend a month playing war games in the woods. Living in a tent with 10 other dudes v. no internet connection lol. Then after that it's straight to Kuwait for a week, then Afghanistan until early November. :o

Hopefully my account doesn't get deleted for inactivity.

2. willijdub

willijdub New Member

its gonna be cold.

3. SamanthaRLong

SamanthaRLong New Member

Good luck.

4. Cyan Connect

Cyan Connect Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra. OT Supporter

Take care and stay safe.

5. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

Finally got to a computer lab for a bit. I can't believe how much it fucking rains here, been here two weeks and seriously, I have seen the sun once for about 15 minutes.

LMAO. Can't wait to get to Afghanistan though they issued me so much badass gear.

6. Cyan Connect

Cyan Connect Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra. OT Supporter

From November through February, it is really cold and rainy in Kuwait. Between 50 to 70 degrees Fahrenheit in the daytime and between 35 to 50 degrees Fahrenheit at night. And it rains a lot. The unpaved bases will seem like they are almost flooding. However, come March all the way through October, it will get up to 127 Fahrenheit in the daytime and 105 Fahrenheit at night. The heat comes as a surpirse. In early March, they will turn off the heating and change it to AC while it is still cold. You will wonder why... and then in a few days... comes a massive heatwave. During the hot Spring and Summer time periods, soldiers stationed there drink three to five 1.5 liter bottles of water a day. Even though drinking too much water is dangerous for you, you can never have too much water while in Kuwait. You are actually told to start drinking one 1.5 liter water bottle a day and then raise that number to two during the cooler months so as to adjust your system to more water intake. And the rain will give way to lots of very bright sun come summer time. It will be extremely, extremely bright. At night, the moon will be orange and five times bigger than what it looks like stateside. You will also have occasional sandstorms. They come as an orange dust mass in the distance in daytime and a giant red glow at night, then swoop upon you in the form of a wall of dust and wind.

Edit: Off of my soapbox. This is just FYI for a typical Kuwait deployment and I'm sure you encountered this in Iraq from an earlier deployment as well. I was just explaining the cold, lack of sun, and rain. It shocked me too when I first got there in November 2005.

I wish you Godspeed. And just like with everyone else in Teh Barracks, I am proud of you and thank you for your service. Stay safe out there.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  7. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

Thanks man. I'm only going to be in Kuwait for a few days though, at Camp Virginia...then I'll be in Afghanistan for 9 months.

8. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

account should be taken care of

Have fun and stay safe

9. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

You know me...

10. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

Hey, thanks a lot man. That's cool.