I'm on Verizon, what phone should I get?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by crucialkc, Apr 9, 2009.

1. crucialkc

crucialkc the earth is flat

currently in the dark ages with a shitty flip phone, looking for something a little nicer. I would like to use the internet on the phone but I think VZW charges like $40/month for their cheapest data plan (not happening).. so if there are any decent phones that can be hacked to use the internet for free or anything, hook it up? :x:

willing to do the 2yr renewal to get the discount.. also willing to pay $100 on top of that.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  2. oakback

oakback New Member

If you get a phone that's internet-capable, and has an SD card slot, you can get a wi-fi card for it.

I have a Moto Q 9m that has that capability, and is a pretty nice phone (imo). Though, I've been thinking of selling it and down-grading to something less fancy, I just realized I'm up for my new-every-2 next month.

3. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

Hmmm, when I was on Verizon, I had the enV and decided to try the Motorola Q out (hated the phone, though) and my bill for that month ended up being $150 because of the data plan. I don't know if any way to get free data on any carrier, though. Data plans are usually expensive. If you plan to use it a lot, then it's worth it. If not, then don't bother with a smart phone.

4. crucialkc

mostly just want something to browse the internet while in class discretely. not for business purposes (i.e. no real need for it)

what carrier offers the cheapest data plan? at&t?

5. MrEous

MrEous OT Supporter

AT&T has unlimited MediaNet for $15

6. crucialkc

damn. will have to check that out.

what's a good smart phone to go with that? as stated before, just looking for something to casually browse the internet, don't really need much more than that.. not sure i want to board the hype train but is an iphone something I should consider?

7. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

Besides getting a smart phone, you're likely going to be getting a phone with a WAP browser, and they are shitty. Don't get the internet with any of those phones.

8. crucialkc

can you suggest any phone in specific to go with?

9. crucialkc

anybody? good phone to go with for AT&T?

10. MrEous

MrEous OT Supporter

Getting an iphone will require a $30 internet plan so forget that one.

If you can get an HTC phone...the AT&T Tilt (aka HTC Kaiser) is a good start...then the internet will be bearable, non-WAP. And the customizing ability with an HTC phone is great.

Really though, check out your options with signing a 2yr deal with AT&T. Post the phones available...or you can go to www.cnet.com and check their 'review videos' to see if it's a phone you'd like.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  11. jimbo1184

jimbo1184 New Member

Have you looked at the LG Dare? It's not a smart phone, it is touch screen, has a kick ass camera, and the internet isn't half bad on it. I almost went to Verizon to pick up the Dare, but I ended up with the iphone. To be honest I was very hesitant to pick up the iphone, but I absolutely love it.

I also looked at the HTC phone for Sprint, which I thought was really nice. They have a pretty cheap internet plan, so that may be another option. Or you can wait it out a little bit and see how the Palm Pre turns out.

12. Kortiz-DZ

Kortiz-DZ Resident Nigerian Lipper OT Supporter

If the Iphone wasn't so god damned badass, I'd say fuck AT&T, but the phone is just that god damn badass...

"oh shit I can't make this phone call because I'm on a road off of the interstate."

"....Yeah I'll be right....hello? Hello?"

AT&T just bought Centennial Wireless, and in this area they have the best phone service....but the worst customer service and shitty phones. Hopefully then AT&T will pick up better reception and 3G in rural areas.

13. Kortiz-DZ

Kortiz-DZ Resident Nigerian Lipper OT Supporter

If you're a student, I believe you can get a 20% discount at AT&T. With an Iphone and 1500 texts messages I pay $76 a month with a 20% discount.