I'm officially an Apple whore

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jonny Chimpo, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

I have an iMac and a MacBook (unibody), I use an iPhone and I have an iPod in the car. I've switched to iWork instead of Office, I use iPhoto to organize all my pics and I have a website built with iWeb. All my music and movies are in iTunes and I keep everything synchronized with MobileMe.

Shit. I'm probably going to start buying black mock turtlenecks soon. :hsd:

(My server is still Windows based but I've got my eye on upgrading to Leopard Server on a used X-Serve :mamoru:)

Confess your sins in this thread. I want to know I'm not alone.

2. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

I really like using iPhoto to organize my pics, but I have a MB unibody and a Wintel desktop which is my gaming rig... hard to completely switch to Macs when I still enjoy playing PC games :hs: At least I can have the best of both worlds

3. Toyman321

Toyman321 New Member

whaaa? no apple tv??

4. snoozeallday

snoozeallday OT Supporter

Last year I decided.. you know what.. I haven't ever used an apple product. Went and got a white macbook, refurbished (because I had heard great things) for 850. I upgraded the ram to 4GB by myself for like 60$. I've slowly but surely just started to love OSX. I now know that it is the most advanced operating system.

A little after that I got the iphone. I had the cingular 8525 before that, this was an insane step-up from that, as well as any windows mobile phone I'd used.

So about a week ago.. I'm sitting around thinking about the white macbook. Its got a little over a month left in the original 1yr warranty so i've got until then to buy applecare and extend the warranty. Also, there is a slight problem with the previous generation macbooks where the topcase cracks if there is pressure when you're grabbing/holding it while its closed. I had to get it replaced one time.

So I decide to list it on craigslist w/o a price and just take offers. Some girl in college emails me and offers 750 right off the bat. I figure, jeez i cant NOT sell it now.. Less than a week later I had her 750, added like 300 of my own and got a new macbook (w/ a certain special discount :big grin:). Now I've got a full year before I have to decide applecare, iLife 09, an aluminum body that seems more sturdy than the plastic (and less susceptible to scratches), a different kind of screen, etc.

I'm absolutely in love. I am so sync'd up. Ive got mobile me between my macbook and my iphone. I have remote desktop connection on my IPHONE just in case I need to log-in to my home server which is windows based. I've got VMware fusion posting up a bootcamp of XP Professional Performance Edition, mainly because I'm in a programming class and it helps to have windows available. Not to mention, I can remote desktop from vmware to my home server, which is just plain ridiculous.

5. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Define an operating system

6. verbal

verbal Active Member

What exactly are you using your server for? Just files?

7. Jonny Chimpo

It houses a 2TB RAID5 array which holds my photography, iTunes library and movies. :cool:

Shit, I forgot to mention that all of my junk is networked with a pair of Airports and my iMac is being backed up using Time Machine on an external drive. :o

No AppleTV yet because I'm waiting to see if they do some manner of DVR functions on a future version.

8. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

cliffs on using iwork in an ms office world? experiences?

9. Jonny Chimpo

Cliffs: Word/Pages and Excel/Numbers are fairly portable with one another. iWork deals with Office files fairly well. Powerpoint/Keynote is another story entirely. The big difference is how the different suites handle graphics. More graphics = less compatibility.

10. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

this happened to me a few months ago :o

11. Toyman321

Toyman321 New Member

Depends on how much cross compatibility you need. If your talking about personal use with word docs and excel files it's pretty comparable. If your talking about a professional working environment where files are being swapped back and fourth constantly the little formatting and compatibility issues will drive you back to MS Office.

I've got both but use primarily MS Office because I do a lot of work from home/the road.

12. verbal

verbal Active Member

Details on how you connect to the Windows machine from your Macs. Anything special setup or just use finder to browse to the network share?

13. Jonny Chimpo

just straight SMB sharing. nothing special, the Macs see the server without a problem. :dunno:

14. Figori

Figori Taking BRC to the EXTREME. OT Supporter

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (iPhone-2.2.1 jailbroked: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I only has iPhone. I might has returbed iMac soonish .

15. The Bilingual Gringo

The Bilingual Gringo KMD, 3rd Bass, just ace in the hole

I hadn't owned a computer in 4 years, and last year, I figured it was about time. A few friends had MBP's and I loved using them, so I buckled.

Went down from there, I needed an iPod for the gym and I was out of my contract w/ Verizon this past November, so I went over to AT&T w/ the iPhone. :o:

16. hoppy1028

hoppy1028 New Member

IMac 24"
    macbook
    airport express
    iphone
    iphone 3g
    2nd gen nano
    ist gen nano
    wireless mighty mouse

just bought a wireless keyboard and 4th gen ipod nano in pink for the gf

17. Pitt

Pitt 1-1-11 — Never Forget OT Supporter

lets see...

bought a 3rd gen ipod in 2003 (still have it, fuck yeah)
    had to put a firewire unit in my pc to use it, and it was pre-itunes, so musicmatch jukebox was used to sync the music :barf: :rofl:

itunes became the default music player as soon as they made a windows version.

bought a shuffle when that came out so I had a jogging / biking mp3 player

got a powerbook in 2005 (right before the intel switch :mad: )

started using aperture after that for photos, and still do
    bought apple wireless keyboard and mighty mouse last year to replace my logitech wireless sets (bluetooth > giant usb reciever hub thing)
    got a MBP this year to upgrade, loaded 4 gb of ram into it

oh and iphone 3g over summer, then came mobileme, then came using ical for everything

18. The1Ash10

The1Ash10 Active Member

Excel > Numbers
    Word > Pages
    Keynote > Powerpoint

You can open Excel and Word files in Numbers and pages, respectively. Although, it won't work the other way around. So, it's still very far from being able to be used by a wide verity of users.

just my $0.02

:dunno:

19. The1Ash10

The1Ash10 Active Member

MBP 2.4 C2D
    iPod 3rd gen
    iPod Nano 3rd gen
    iPhone 3G
    MM

Just got the new in-ear headphones :bigthumb:

20. JoesTypeS

JoesTypeS New Member

I got the 3g iPhone when it first came out
    Next week I had IT get me an iMac for the office
    then I got a 15" uni-body MBP
    Bought an airport extreme for home
    Then just had to get an Apple TV

MobileME syncs cal/address book from my iMac to MBP to iPhone...I CANNOT fucking wait until snow lep is out w/ exchange support for ical

21. Jonny Chimpo

User error. :hsugh:

You can save files in Word/Excel/Powerpoint formats in iWork apps and they open just fine. I have no clue what you're on about.

As for Powerpoint > Keynote...well that's just laughable. Anyone that does a significant amount of speaking or presentations would fall in love with Keynote.

22. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

QFT. Keynote beats Powerpoint down like a red-headed stepchild. It's simple to use, intuitive, the themes and visuals as well. Plus, when in presentation mode, it's actually decent!

23. Jonny Chimpo

:werd:

Keynote in presentation mode alone BURIES Powerpoint. I can't believe that Microsoft couldn't figure out such simple things as dual screen display in presentation mode or a clock/timer in presentation mode after almost 20 fucking years of development.

Microsoft is so full of fail. :rofl:

24. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

and producing a half assed mac version of office for so many years is a crappy attempt to stop people using other operating systems.

cant wait till open document standards replace office universally.

looks like i'll give iwork a go because I am sick of mac office, but being a student at a uni that saves everything in a doc or ppt it might get annoying :dunno:

25. omgwtfbbqryan

omgwtfbbqryan OT Supporter

ibook g4
    blackbook
    iphone
    appletv
    3rd gen 60 gb ipod video
    2 1st gen 512 mb shuffles